Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9941 9942 [9943] 9944 9945 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184936 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149130 on: December 11, 2019, 11:32:00 am »

Pretty sure neither of those timeframes paint a picture of boomers
Well, here's a picture of boomers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149131 on: December 11, 2019, 11:35:47 am »

according to wikipedia--

The Baby Boom generation is most often defined as those individuals born between 1946 and 1964.

The coffee craze would have been their parents, yes-- but sushi in the late 60s to 70s would have been a thing during the early point of the boomer era. (The oldest boomers would have been approaching 20.) That's not even getting started on the free love movement that was fomented in that era.

From the originally quoted article--

the sale of sushi to white Americans as part of Japanese restaurant offerings from the 1950s onwards, and the opening of sushi bars in metropolitan areas of the US (particularly in California) in the early- to mid-1960s. Growing swiftly in popularity, by the late 1960s sushi had become a staple of high-end US dining. Before long, its popularity broadened, and it began to diffuse more widely throughout the US and beyond.

Sushi is to boomer, as avocado toast is to millennial.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:39:18 am by wierd »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149132 on: December 11, 2019, 11:38:42 am »

That's not even getting started on the free love movement that was fomented in that era.
Kind of odd how they went in the opposite direction not too long after.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149133 on: December 11, 2019, 11:53:43 am »

Free love isn't free

But yeah I was wrong about sushi, I saw 1945 and went "That seems more like returning soldiers to me"
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149134 on: December 11, 2019, 12:52:54 pm »

Y'all seriously saying coffee and sushi are "boomer things"? ???
Hell, my mother has been a fan of avocado on toast for longer than I've been alive, too, so I guess the smashed avo = milennial thing is bullshit as well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149135 on: December 11, 2019, 01:03:04 pm »

Avacado on toasted bread has been known to be delicious ever since the two foodstuffs were first combined.

Some - some - millenials are however responsible for the degredation of such a fine and simple dish with monstrous additions like scrambled egg (for those who can't palate anything not covered in a thin layer of grease), smoked salmon (which does perfectly well on it's own bit of toast), or even cream cheese.
One wheel short of a wagon

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149136 on: December 11, 2019, 01:12:24 pm »

Y'all seriously saying coffee and sushi are "boomer things"? ???

Turns out 15th century Ethiopians and Edo period Japanese were the OG Boomers
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149137 on: December 11, 2019, 05:26:13 pm »

I think it's a myth that "boomers" are all up about avocado on toast. It was a couple of journalists and rich people who said this, not a generation. It was hype, but people bought into it. Then, they rephrased it as clickbait and you bought it again: boomers are against millennials avocado on toast. How dumb can we be? The media is playing us.

EDIT: This all plays into a media obsession: everyone else is apparently always talking about the millennials. No, they are not. This is a total construct. It's possibly related to the meme that Millennials are self-absorbed, that there's a meme that all other generations are also apparently obsessed with the Millennials. The media is clickbaiting you with "Millennials, all the other generations are talking about you, this is what they're saying". It's actually tapping into Millennials own obsessions, not what other generations actually give a shit about.

Same as "ok boomer", "millennials do XYZ" is an internet/media meme only. You don't talk to real-life people and go "oh they're a millennial" or "they're a boomer" and ascribe qualities to them on that basis. Or if you do, there's something wrong and you need to time out from the internet.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:41:44 pm by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149138 on: December 11, 2019, 06:01:15 pm »

Finally got the SSD into the case. There was one SATA port open, and was a mild bitch to get the cable into it.

Of course, the floppy drive mounts weren't capable of keeping the SSD in place.

Judging from the benchmark test speed, it should "only" take about 4-5 hours to clone. According to the same benchmark test(UserBenchmark), my RAM rated poorly, something about not having a dual+channel XMP BIOS profile enabled.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149139 on: December 11, 2019, 06:11:18 pm »

EDIT: This all plays into a media obsession: everyone else is apparently always talking about the millennials. No, they are not. This is a total construct. It's possibly related to the meme that Millennials are self-absorbed, that there's a meme that all other generations are also apparently obsessed with the Millennials. The media is clickbaiting you with "Millennials, all the other generations are talking about you, this is what they're saying". It's actually tapping into Millennials own obsessions, not what other generations actually give a shit about.

Which is stupid. Boomers don't care about other people.

Edit:

Finally got the SSD into the case. There was one SATA port open, and was a mild bitch to get the cable into it.

Yeah, I taped the drive to the side of the mounting trays. The stiffness of the power and data cables made a natural rest point.[/spoiler]

I had enough space/shelves in my tower that I just sat my (laptop) SSDs on them and called it a day. I actually mounted my HDD, because it fits.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:46:23 pm by Iduno »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #149140 on: December 11, 2019, 09:27:27 pm »

Judging from the benchmark test speed, it should "only" take about 4-5 hours to clone. According to the same benchmark test(UserBenchmark), my RAM rated poorly, something about not having a dual+channel XMP BIOS profile enabled.
\

Don't worry. SSDs have no moving parts. As long as you aren't juggling the case or shooting at it, you'll be fine with it taped like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149141 on: December 11, 2019, 09:33:49 pm »

So long as it doesn't get too hot. Melted tape can be a complete arse to deal with. I can't tell what the hell that image is at all, so it's hard to eyeball if that's tape particularly suceptible to that, heh. Probably won't be a major issue, tho'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149142 on: December 12, 2019, 01:34:47 am »

These millenials, doing weird things all the time... jacking data cables in, pushing SSDs out...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #149143 on: December 12, 2019, 02:58:35 am »

These millenials, doing weird things all the time... jacking data cables in, pushing SSDs out...

ok_boomer.wav
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149144 on: December 12, 2019, 03:04:16 am »

{ThatGuyMode=Enable}

wav is an ambiguous container format.

While most of the time it is uncompressed PCM samples, it can also house any number of codec-compressed audio formats, including MP3.

Better to use a less ambiguous container, like flac. :)

Pages: 1 ... 9941 9942 [9943] 9944 9945 ... 10983