Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9947 9948 [9949] 9950 9951 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13139512 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149220 on: December 20, 2019, 07:29:15 pm »

I know nothing about The Purge other than the basic premise, but I have to wonder, what kind of government would make it legal to overthrow the government, and what kind of person would want it to be legal to murder them?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149221 on: December 20, 2019, 11:55:19 pm »

I know nothing about The Purge other than the basic premise, but I have to wonder, what kind of government would make it legal to overthrow the government, and what kind of person would want it to be legal to murder them?
Its a flawed premise that falls apart upon examination.

But iirc, it was a way to deal with overpopulation
a troubled economy (gun sales plus security hiring, plus construction of bunkers for the rich),
a means of allowing the rich to oppress the poor and
put them into unsafe ghettos (property values skyrocket if you have a fenced off area or live in a rural area),
and generally allow the government to silence dissidents with fully legal tactical hit squads.

Worth noting that anyone who held a mid-to-high level bureaucratic job wads 'immune' from the purge and it was still illegal to kill them.  But not illegal for them to kill you.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149222 on: December 21, 2019, 12:00:33 am »

But it's also something the very poor might see as an opportunity to finally get a leg up, through theft/burglary or such. So they'd support it despite the odds being very much skewed against them.

Sooo... Remind you of anything else?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149223 on: December 21, 2019, 12:01:14 am »

Lottery
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #149224 on: December 21, 2019, 12:16:47 am »

I thought the point of the Purge was to exterminate the homeless, wasn't it?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149225 on: December 21, 2019, 12:35:54 am »

Exploring the real-life consequences of The Purge would actually be more interesting than the movie probably is.

While it's "legal" to do all sorts of stuff for 24 hours (EDIT: 12 hours in the movie), it would also be legal for the police to summarily execute you for doing any crimes. Sure, you could shoot your boss and not be "charged" but you'd immediately be gunned down by someone else. So, most people would spend those 24 hours bunkered down in their houses armed to the teeth ready to immediately execute any tresspassers, while the security forces would be roaming the streets ready to immediately terminate any looters or miscreants.

Also, a big plot hole is that committing a crime in the 12 hours is legal, but you'd have to prove that it was in the 12 hours. For example, if you murdered someone with a few minutes to go so that you couldn't be counter-killed with impunity, you'd have to have proof the killing occurred in the 12 hour time-window, and you can bet that lawyers would make the most killing, trying court cases for years using forensics that they show prove the actual killing took place just after the cut-off point, not before it. If you just left a body without evidence then they could fudge the forensics and say it's outside the time-window, or at least not provably in the time-window. So you'd have to document your kills and get proof of the time of the kill.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 12:41:29 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149226 on: December 21, 2019, 12:47:50 am »

GPS would be essential, as would having a kill-cam to document the encounter with synchronized GPS metadata.

The various militia groups would be all up in that shit;  They would be among the groups roaming the streets imposing their preferred form of order, since it would be legal for those 12 hours every year.

Likewise, every racist group known to mankind would be out in force doing their own brand of "cleansing."  It would be a terrifying time to be a minority of any kind.

About the only groups that would uniquely profit though would be mortuary and funeral service providers.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149227 on: December 21, 2019, 12:50:26 am »

About the only groups that would uniquely profit though would be mortuary and funeral service providers.
One could even say they'd... make a killing.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149228 on: December 21, 2019, 06:57:49 am »

This youtube video pretty much details why the idea of a purge night would utterly fail and ruin the economy
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149229 on: December 21, 2019, 07:03:37 am »

If they don't cover the absurd concept of "Purge Insurance", then they arent covering it well enough.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149230 on: December 21, 2019, 07:45:38 am »

... wouldn't purge insurance just be life insurance? Maybe some homeowner stuff bundled in or somethin'. Like, I don't know the setting basically at all, but you're calling purge insurance absurd and I'm just thinking no more than any other sort of insurance :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149231 on: December 21, 2019, 07:49:17 am »

Maybe its mutually insured destruction. Like "pay us, and we'll murder whoever murdered you next year"

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149232 on: December 21, 2019, 08:01:22 am »

Maybe its mutually insured destruction. Like "pay us, and we'll murder whoever murdered you next year"

Then the inevitable duel between rival Purge Insurance Collectors from different agencies, taking revenge on the collector that took revenge on who took revenge for the original insurance holder.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149233 on: December 21, 2019, 08:12:22 am »

Then the inevitable duel between rival Purge Insurance Collectors from different agencies, taking revenge on the collector that took revenge on who took revenge for the original insurance holder.

Or they could decide that they will not do an outright insurance war and just break the contract. That would also be "legal".
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149234 on: December 21, 2019, 08:53:08 am »

Well, it's The Purge, so bad reasons to kill people wins out over common sense, right?
Pages: 1 ... 9947 9948 [9949] 9950 9951 ... 10980