Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9950 9951 [9952] 9953 9954 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13180945 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149265 on: December 21, 2019, 11:46:00 pm »

Amusingly, the bible (yes, that book they like to double-speak about) outright says that nobody knows who goes to heaven but the father, and that no-one should presume to make such a pronouncement.  (that one always made me laugh about the concept of Excommunication.)

[at least, thats what I think I remember... This is one of those nights where I did not sleep well, and my brain gets everything all jumbled. Take with a grain of salt. ]

[Yeah, I think I am getting things jumbled.  It's a combination of this verse Matthew 15:7,8,&9, etc-- that make Excommunication absurd. (It's a pronouncement by a human religious order, which presumes to control access to God, and thus to be able to condemn people to eternal death through that exclusion. Nonsense, because John 14:6 and Acts 16:31 are totally things. Only Jesus has that authority, and Jesus gives his blessing to anyone who seeks him, per John 1:12.)]

The basic gist against gay people is the 1 Corinthians notation.  However, this is a no-brainer, since there is no sex in heaven. The preclusion of idolaters likewise, is because only those blessed with the holy spirit by Jesus get to go to heaven anyway, (which naturally precludes idolaters).  Further, acceptance of the holy spirit is supposed to grant a new nature, so people that are driven to sin by biology (eg, people who are gay), but strive to overcome it (through faith), are fully covered here. After resurrection, they will not have a flesh body, and will not have gay sex desires. Presumably.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 12:15:46 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149266 on: December 22, 2019, 01:16:21 am »

We're talking about a roman necromantic cult which uses the already contradictory dogma of an older middle eastern religion as it's source material.   I don't think it's particularily meaningful to find that part of the scriptures contradict one or another sect's liturgy.  Tbh the contrary would be surprising, given that the (ALREADY HEAVILY CURATED MIND YOU!) source material contradicts itself.   
If you put any stock in this stuff, odds are you're already cherrypicking the bits you or your particular brand likes.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:17:59 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149267 on: December 22, 2019, 01:46:05 am »

True enough-- Though the whole thing is still an interesting read.

The cherry pickers tend to go outside of context.  There's a reason why I provided links to whole chapters where appropriate.  Many apparent contradictions are actually the consequence of cherry picking outside of context, with what is actually supportive, not negative additional context elsewhere.

Take for instance, the 1 Corinthian's notation.  It says that idolaters, and sexual deviants are not going to be in heaven.

If you look at the other context, this is fundamentally still true--  Idolaters place their faith in some object of worship other than Jesus, and thus do not get the holy spirit, and do not get the eternal body needed to live in heaven-- BOOM-- NO ADMITTANCE.  You likewise will not find sexual deviancy in heaven-- BECAUSE THERE IS NO SEX THERE. (as pointed out.)  Additionally, due to the necessity to have been granted the holy spirit's divine nature with the new body, and the necessary death of your old, sin-inducing one, the people in heaven have NO DRIVE to do kinky wild sex IN THE FIRST PLACE.   So-- Again, No sexual deviants in heaven.  No brainer.

The difference, is in the implication and tone of the statement.  1 Corinthians asserts that doing those things will prevent you from entering heaven.  This is somewhat supported and somewhat not supported.  Jesus asserts that you have to TRY to walk the walk while on earth.  You *WILL* still sin, but you are (through faith) doing your very best to overcome sin, and trusting in christ to help you, because you cannot help yourself.  If you are biologically gay, you are going to be gay as long as you are still alive. End of story.  The holy spirit just gives you the additional impetus to fight against it, rather than revel in it, at least as long as you are still alive.  So-- Gay people are gonna be compelled to be gay. Until they die, and they get a new body.  Per the bible.

If they trusted Jesus, and got the holy spirit, they go to heaven.  Once there, they stop having sin nature, do not desire gay sex, and cease being gay. 

That is the biblically supported narrative, backed up in pretty much every area Jesus gives mention to sin, resurrection, and going to heaven. (While the antecedent material is all over the place, Jesus is remarkably consistent.)

These days, without the benefit of this "Fuller context", the cherry picked 1 Corinthians notation is used to try to exclude people from heaven. (which as I pointed out, is not up to humans to decide. That's between each individual sinner, and Jesus, exclusively.)  There's also a further condemnation in the bible about passing judgement--  This is also often take out of context, so the whole thing will be cited here--

Quote from:  Matthew 7
[1] Judge not, that ye be not judged.
[2] For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
[3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
[4] Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
[5] Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
[6] Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
[7] Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
[8] For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
[9] Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
[10] Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
[11] If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
[12] Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
[13] Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
[14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
[15] Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
[16] Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
[17] Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
[18] A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
[19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
[20] Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
[24] Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
[25] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
[26] And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
[27] And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
[28] And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
[29] For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

Taken in context, Jesus is telling people the following things:

1) Do not try to condemn other sinners for their sins--Not unless you TOO, want to be judged according to your sins, and be likewise condemned. (EG, don't go railing about sexual deviancy, all sin is treated the same by God, and it does not matter that you never even touched yourself inappropriately in your whole life-- You did other things to sin.  EG, "the plank in your own eye.")
2) Giving lipservice to following a spiritual life, while living a carnal one in reality, will have jesus rebuke you hard at the door and kick you to the curb.  You have to do your best to walk the walk too.
3) If a sinner comes to Jesus, and asks for help in overcoming their sin nature to better obey God's will, it WILL be given. No exceptions.
4) Jesus knows his shit, because he's from heaven himself. He's not some ideologue in the priesthood trying to interdict his own biases into what is meant to be sacred; he's laying it flat out.

In terms of compounding context, Jesus emphatically asserts, over and over and over again, that religious dogma is not how things work.  ONLY THROUGH HIM, and-- ONLY WHEN YOU WALK THE WALK TOO.

Naturally, this message is VERY unpopular with people who seek to use the bible for purely political (eg, to control other people) reasons.  It is therefor no surprise to me that this full context is very rarely, if ever stated; the "Do not judge" statement is taken out of context to mean "You cannot judge me!"-- What it really means is "If somebody professes Jesus, and REALLY IS TRYING, you should withhold all judgement; You want jesus to be equally merciful to you in turn, because you too are a hopeless sinner, and he is YOUR ONLY HOPE."   The "Really *IS* trying" part there gets .. how many verses in that chapter?  more than 12? out of how many? 29?  Maybe Jesus kinda felt it was important, no? :P

Now, remember I am an agnostic.  I just am intimately familiar with this religious text from exposure as a child.  It just irks me when context is completely ignored for political reasons; The bible really says something vastly different, when read in context, 9 times out of 10.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149268 on: December 22, 2019, 06:14:55 am »

God: Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Also God: *creates chestnuts*
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #149269 on: December 22, 2019, 06:37:51 am »

It is well known that God is the greatest Troll, possibly of all time. After all those fucking Blobberfish, really, there was no contest.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149270 on: December 22, 2019, 09:51:14 am »

Hey, don't talk about Akura like that, he might hear you!
I mean... I'm pretty sure blobfish have ears? Who knows.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149271 on: December 22, 2019, 10:46:24 am »

Fuck it, The Guardian just joined the 'you must sign in/register to read' bandwagon. (yes, I know I posted the exact same thing to three 'emotion threads', I can be disappointed, WTF'd and frustrated at the same time to the same thing can't I?) Edit: of course though, I can just click 'not now', but still.........
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:10:57 am by smjjames »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149272 on: December 22, 2019, 10:54:37 am »

It is well known that God is the greatest Troll, possibly of all time. After all those fucking Blobberfish, really, there was no contest.
Hey, don't talk about Akura like that, he might hear you!
I mean... I'm pretty sure blobfish have ears? Who knows.
Blob fish naturally live in very deep waters s.o they are adapted to very high pressure. Here is an image of one in its natural habitat instead of washed up on shore
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149273 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:58 am »

See? It's not an ugly freak, it's only a tiny monster.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #149274 on: December 22, 2019, 12:58:35 pm »

Unrelated but I looked for Iowa news and found this f’ed up story A woman admits to hitting a 14 year old girl because she “is Mexican” She is charged with attempted murder. At least the girl survived the endeavo.r WTF? It makes me angry whenever I learn that people do things like this

I was wondering what kind of strength the woman had until I clicked the link and it mentioned the car.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:00:13 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149275 on: December 22, 2019, 01:05:57 pm »

Unrelated but I looked for Iowa news and found this f’ed up story A woman admits to hitting a 14 year old girl because she “is Mexican” She is charged with attempted murder. At least the girl survived the endeavo.r WTF? It makes me angry whenever I learn that people do things like this

I was wondering what kind of strength the woman had until I clicked the link and it mentioned the car.
Sorry, I thought I mentioned the car. My bad
Edit: I fixed the post to avoid further unintentional misinformation
Unrelated but I looked for Iowa news and found this f’ed up story A woman admits to hitting a 14 year old girl with her car because she “is Mexican” She is charged with attempted murder. At least the girl survived the endeavo.r WTF? It makes me angry whenever I learn that people do things like this
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:39:21 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149276 on: December 23, 2019, 03:53:34 am »

Fuck it, The Guardian just joined the 'you must sign in/register to read' bandwagon. (yes, I know I posted the exact same thing to three 'emotion threads', I can be disappointed, WTF'd and frustrated at the same time to the same thing can't I?) Edit: of course though, I can just click 'not now', but still.........
I've heard that if you open the article in a private window you can get around the sign in/register things and paywalls.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149277 on: December 23, 2019, 04:45:54 am »

As the "Christmas Season" ramps up into super-criticality, (and given my ... unique... position to be subjected relentlessly by) the Hallmark Channel seems to have basically "The same story about christmas" on 24/7.

Has anyone else noticed that Hallmark's version of "Christmas!" basically has one or more of these revolving plot points?

1) An attractive girl working in a C-level or near C-level position at a wealthy firm discovers "The true meaning of christmas" when she vacations in a podunk town to get a christmas tree. Meets a handsome boy there, and discovers love.

2) A rich tycoon discovers christmas after vacationing in a small town for business reasons, falls in love with a vacuous but pretty girl, who reforms his corporati behaviors.

3) Supernatural agents working for santaclaus give an already wealthy person even more favor this christmas (such as by granting a wish) so that they can better understand the holiday. (those poor kids who just want to not be homeless dont matter, we wont deal with them. Santa's helpers only deal with rich people.)

4) A family has been the caretakers of the "village christmas tradition" for generations, kids dont want to do it anymore, and the spirit of christmas convinces them to keep doing it. (Of course, the kids are also rich.)

Somebody needs to investigate this properly.

Well, Vulture seems to have noticed some of it... but catches "White christmas", and misses "Only the wealthy need apply."

Here's another piece by Vox--which claims to interview an anonymous writer of that dreck, to get an inside scoop about the formulaic nature of the "movies."  there is a decided lack of critical evaluation on how such contrivances are not at all realistic of real christmas experiences in the modern world, or how they are clearly engineered to tap into the emotional memories of an older generation...

How can this shit be popular?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:57:30 am by wierd »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #149278 on: December 23, 2019, 05:15:24 am »

Aren't most Christmas movies considered sucky? I've personally never watched a Christmas-themed movie, mostly because Russia is largely Orthodox Christian, and our Christmas is after the New Year (January 7th), not before. Hell, New Year here is more celebrated than Christmas, overall.

*ahem*

My WTF: I've been having a dream about a particular optional challenge in Pyre by Supergiant Games, and I saw the strategy to complete the challenge in the dream. I apply that strategy from my dream, and guess what, I win without restarts!

And funny thing is, I had a similar dream regarding Portal 2, where I also have completed a chamber after using the strategy from the dream.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149279 on: December 23, 2019, 05:17:46 am »

1) An attractive girl working in a C-level or near C-level position at a wealthy firm discovers "The true meaning of christmas" when she vacations in a podunk town to get a christmas tree. Meets a handsome boy there, and discovers love.
You forgot the other version of this where she's there to buy and destroy the place the Christmas tradition happens, then the finding love and meaning of Christmas stuff happens.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 9950 9951 [9952] 9953 9954 ... 10983