Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9952 9953 [9954] 9955 9956 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167954 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149295 on: December 23, 2019, 07:00:06 pm »

I have apparently managed to make a dish of instant mashed potatoes with the general consistency of cookie or bread dough. As in, I just took a spoonful, turned the spoon over, shook it a little, and the potatoes were like, "Nah dawg, I'm cool here. Gonna' stay put."

Used cream of chicken soup instead of, y'know, water. Added a good bit of cheese, bit of un-souped water afterwards. Some seasoning, some meat. Bit saltier than I'd prefer but it tastes pretty good. I just feel like I could roll it into tiny balls and make turkey/potato cookies out of it.

... also that led me to ask google if meat cookies actually exist. A. They do, and B. I, uh. Kinda' tempted to try cooking this 'mpanatigghi thing. Chocolate meat cookie.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149296 on: December 23, 2019, 07:18:33 pm »

Chocolate and meat/substitutes can be pretty good, especially with chili.

Kinda confused about the whole mashed potato thing... You made soup, used it instead of water on a prepared meal, then added cheese and meat of some kind? Pls elaborate
One wheel short of a wagon

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149297 on: December 23, 2019, 07:20:16 pm »

I have apparently managed to make a dish of instant mashed potatoes with the general consistency of cookie or bread dough. As in, I just took a spoonful, turned the spoon over, shook it a little, and the potatoes were like, "Nah dawg, I'm cool here. Gonna' stay put."

Used cream of chicken soup instead of, y'know, water. Added a good bit of cheese, bit of un-souped water afterwards. Some seasoning, some meat. Bit saltier than I'd prefer but it tastes pretty good. I just feel like I could roll it into tiny balls and make turkey/potato cookies out of it.

... also that led me to ask google if meat cookies actually exist. A. They do, and B. I, uh. Kinda' tempted to try cooking this 'mpanatigghi thing. Chocolate meat cookie.
I am interested in trying meat cookies, congrats on independently discovering a new way to make mashed potatoes, this sounds like a happy thread thing, making new food items> do you know how much of each thing was used?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149298 on: December 23, 2019, 07:24:47 pm »

I am interested in trying meat cookies, congrats on independently discovering a new way to make mashed potatoes, this sounds like a happy thread thing, making new food items> do you know how much of each thing was used?

I bet you could fry that potato stuff in just a little oil and it'd be crispy and amazing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149299 on: December 23, 2019, 07:31:22 pm »

Chocolate and meat/substitutes can be pretty good, especially with chili.

Kinda confused about the whole mashed potato thing... You made soup, used it instead of water on a prepared meal, then added cheese and meat of some kind? Pls elaborate
Like, it's instant mashed potatoes. Their instructions can basically be boiled down to add water and heat, or heat water and add. So what I did was cook up a can of cream of chicken soup instead of using water, and then dumped the mashed potatoes into it and stirred until I was content. Content included cheese and some extra water, and somehow ended up with a consistency dead on for dough, which I can't recall ever quite managing in the hundreds of times I've prepared instant mashed potatoes. I've even done the dump-it-in-cream-of-whatever before, without this exact results.

As for exact measurements, nah. It was a can of Campbell's (half milk/half water) and a bag of walmart's four-cheese mashed potatoes stuff. Then, uh. Good bit of walmart's taco cheese and some water after stirring a bit and being dissatisfied with the consistency. Probably less than a cup of either (actually measuring out a cup of shredded cheese leaves you with like a stupid amount of cheese, honestly), but it was a decent amount as tossing stuff in goes.

I haven't fiddled around with frying much of anything except french fries, and not even that, much. Dun's probably right, though. I've had little fried potato ball things before and they're indeed kinda' bloody amazing.

E: oh, the meat was a couple of slices of deli honey roasted turkey, tore up into bits. I put the stuff in just about anything grain or starch based I cook, heh. Adds a bit of meat and a bit of sweet.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:36:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149300 on: December 23, 2019, 08:35:26 pm »

The film "Office Christmas Party" was actually rather entertaining, as a holiday film on the more crass side of the comedy spectrum.
Still hits plenty of cheesy tropes and I wouldn't say it's amazing or anything, but it could make a welcome change from the Hallmark drek y'all are complaining about.

Also, El Camino Christmas was an honestly good movie, in my opinion. It's worth a watch to see Tim Allen slug down a bottle of Jack if nothing else.
And of course there are various other good films in a Christmas setting that pop up now and then, though I struggle to remember any more off the top of my head.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149301 on: December 23, 2019, 09:04:55 pm »

Netflix has a Christmas movie that I forgot the name of that consist of 3 or four stories, some of which are horror, but each of the various stories are tangentially related to Christmas, sadly I forgot the name of the movie since it’s been a while since I’ve seen it. One of the stories consists of zombie elves, another story has changelings, there are 2 other stories as well

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #149302 on: December 23, 2019, 11:30:11 pm »

A meat cookie is just a plain hamburger patty.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149303 on: December 24, 2019, 01:02:45 am »

Nah, that would take a burnt one, not a plain one :P

Then I guess you'd put frosting on it or sprinkle it with chocolate chips or something.

Fairness where it's due, I could actually see a syrup glaze or somethin' on a hamburger patty be pretty damn good. I've put sweet stuff on hamburger patties before. Usually just honey bbq or teriyaki sauce, but I've done syrup (and whatever the proper name of syrup'd ketchup is) too. Better on bacon (syrup drizzled bacon is like bacon but better) but it's still pretty a'ight.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149304 on: December 24, 2019, 01:23:49 am »

Why tf is it legal for websites to require a phone number for registration?
And why do people still use websites like that? Referring to Twitter, in this case. Not a website worth bothering with at the best of times - except, inexplicably, it's one of the only two options to share videos to from a PS4.

The other one is Youtube, which also has a notoriously painful signup process, though after trying multiple times to make a Twitter account I doubt it is anywhere near as bad.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149305 on: December 24, 2019, 03:08:39 am »

It doesn't make any sense to say "why is it legal"

Everything is legal unless specifically made illegal. To be the other way around, you'd have to live in a Nazi police state: everything is illegal unless specifically allowed. So you're going to have a law that says nobody can ask for a phone number? How would that actually work? Or only "websites" can't ask for a phone number? What type of websites? Sometimes you want to give your phone number over, for example to a delivery company.

To make that work, everyone who makes a website would have to fill out forms to register with the police for tracking, to make sure they're not doing stuff like asking for a phone number. So now, instead of using a phone number for logging in, you've got sanctioned government surveillance of all websites. Great idea there.

They ask for a phone number because phone numbers have more chance of really belonging to a real person than some scammy email address. It seriously cuts down on sock puppets and the like.

A good reason of "why it's legal" to ask for that is because nobody is forcing you to log in to Twitter. If you don't like the rules, there's the door. Nobody's forcing you to enter your phone number, you just want into their free service.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 03:23:22 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149306 on: December 24, 2019, 03:20:04 am »

Yeah I'm sure they don't use them for telemarketing or anything
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149307 on: December 24, 2019, 03:30:09 am »

Yeah I'm sure they don't use them for telemarketing or anything

in that case it would make more sense to make telemarketing illegal that to ban two-factor authentication.

What's a bigger risk? Having two-factor authentication so they know your phone number, so you may theoretically receive telemarketing calls, or having your accounts hacked and all the money taken out of your bank account, and hacker take out credit cards in your name.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 03:31:59 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149308 on: December 24, 2019, 05:11:48 am »

Or it would make sense, you know, NOT to force people to hand over their phone number, regardless of anything else.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149309 on: December 24, 2019, 07:39:41 am »

But... that completely the issues Reelya just raised about trivial sockpuppet accounts and the security benefits of two-factor authentication

also that nobody's forcing you to use twitter to tweet, I mean, I don't
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 9952 9953 [9954] 9955 9956 ... 10983