Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9976 9977 [9978] 9979 9980 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996373 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149655 on: January 22, 2020, 01:57:30 am »

I will rethink my stance on the subject if (when?) video game sapient AI.
How do we test sapience? We tend not to test whether other humans have sapience
1. Sapience can't be tested. If we want to talk logical reasons, a machine even nowadays could be programmed to critique and de-construct "I think therefore I am". (Sapience is apparently more than a Turing test). There's a reason the theory of p-zombies exists today.
However more importantly sapience can't be tested for moral reasons, because at that point it will open the door to the probability that some humans aren't sapient. I don't mean twilight zone bullshit, I mean the mentally challenged. Once there is a test for sapience, there exists a time when a doctor will say to a parent 'Sorry but due to the cerebral palsy, your child is non-sapient'.
Which opens many, many other more worrying doors.

But either way, immorality and sapience/sentience is not a hard line between 'okay' and 'not okay'. It's a sliding scale of immorality based on the actions. Killing a person is a bad act (reasons notwithstanding). Killing an animal, everyone agrees is also a bad act, but maybe not as bad an act. Then we compartmentalise those into pest animals, feed animals and pets, so we really have various gradients of bad person acts.
But nobody will disagree that any of these animals are sentient. When something is non-sentient is it also a bad act? Killing a sea cucumber? Cutting down a tree?
If they're done for no reason other than enjoyment, then it does have a certain inherent immorality. "I killed the tree for the sense of victory and achievement it gives me."

Of course that's a long way off killing some pixels, but all I'm saying is that any kind of killing probably stains your soul, just a lil'. So at that point it's down to someone's individual ethics and the line they set for themselves.

My statement was probably the weakest, since I was busily washing dishes for most of it whilst my housemates were getting punched in the head and/or having guns waved in their faces in another room.
Ho-lee shit. How did you avoid that kind of random violence? Were the other housemates better friends with the dealer or something?
Maybe kitchen guy was visible and clearly not a threat. I wonder what would have happened if you were in your room. So fucked up.

That one especially-cooked episode of Black Mirror.
Yer gonna have to be more specific.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149656 on: January 22, 2020, 03:28:00 am »

I must be nutrient deficient in some capacity, because I am enjoying these fresh bunapi beech mushrooms entirely too much.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149657 on: January 22, 2020, 04:11:58 am »

mushrooms are the best snacks ever.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149658 on: January 22, 2020, 04:18:53 am »

Your lucky that you have some sort of market that sells various species. I can only get portabello which I don't really enjoy. That's why I grow my own oysters and subaeruginosa.
@weird have you considered trying to grow your own? You seem like you could do it with ease and probably enjoy the results of this hobby, they are saprophytic so should be easy to grow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149659 on: January 22, 2020, 04:30:04 am »

It should indeed be easy to do.  The bunches contain mycelial growth buds at the bottom of the mushroom clusters.

I just don't have a suitable host species on hand in my area.  The host species is beech tree.  The closest species we have here is cottonwood, and that's not really a good substrate.

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149660 on: January 22, 2020, 04:42:28 am »

The thing with saprophytes is they can grow on most things with lignin and cellulose as long as you can remove any competition with fungus and bacteria. In any case straw with oats could hypothetically be used, anything with sugars and proteins in it are prone to contamination.
Test this, get some corrugated cardboard, soak in hot water, separate the corrugation, put the myceilal fluffy end bittys on it and sandwich it with the cardboard. Put in sealed container and check on it in a week. If theres growth you can be pretty confident in using a variety of substrates.
The rest is knowledge im sure you are capable of finding and perhaps you'll one day move onto bolder exotica like cordyceps and others to further improve your intelligence.
The path is wide.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 04:46:00 am by Tingle »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149661 on: January 22, 2020, 04:55:30 am »

Perhaps.

Bunapi is a trademarked cultivar of beech mushroom with special habit;  Most beech mushroom is tan, and has a stronger flavor. Bunapi was bred to be white, and to have a mild flavor.
http://www.hokto-kinoko.com/whats-kinoko/bunapi/

As seen in the "how to prepare" section, one can clearly see the growth bud section being removed. (It contains bits of the original growth medium, and is tightly held together. This is the part you want to collect to vegetatively cultivate more of the mushroom.)  However, one can ALSO clearly see that the medium is loose-chunked, sterilized beech wood.

Getting it to grow on some other substrate (like say, coffee grounds, toilet paper, newspaper, cardboard, etc..) might not really be possible if the mushroom is highly specialized to the nutrient profile of beech wood.

Cursory research shows that it is not that specialized though.  My workplace goes through coffee filter packs like nobody's business. (Nursing home + Old people). Those would make fantastic growth media if properly processed. (Keep damp, place in loosely sealed glass container, microwave on high until steam is produced, stop heating, tightly close lid. Sterilize a casing medium (say, thin clay slip from a ceramics shop) in a similar manner. Dip the coffee filter pack into the casing medium leaving a small bit exposed at the top, and return to sterilized container, then let cool.  Inoculate under alcohol sterilized conditions while wearing gloves. Keep at 60F for about 3 days, watching for mycelial fuzz at the top of the medium. Once seen, loosely open the container so it can breathe, and add small amounts of distilled water. Wait 3 weeks.)

*The role of the casing medium is to provide a moisture-permitting, but nutrient-free (and thus hostile to microbes and other fungi) layer through which atmospheric gasses, and the distilled water can reach the coffee grounds, and thus the desired fungal mycelium, which actively inhibits the growth of mycelium from opportunistic fungi (like mold!).   It can impair fruiting however, because it blocks light. That's why you leave the top portion of the substrate packet undipped. This area gets triggered to fruit by exposure to air and light.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:17:33 am by wierd »

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149662 on: January 22, 2020, 06:00:08 am »

Yeah im sure its trademarked. Even the stem can shoot of rhizomes because the mushroom is just modified myceila. I've done it with many woodlovers.
I'll agree with the strains being used to eating birch but that's most probably just advertising, all mushrooms can be taught to eat a variety of foods as long as it has what they need and their enzymes can break it down.
Shit if you really wanna step it up chuck some onto nutritional agar and sector the best rhizo.

Coffee is ok as a nitrogen supplement especially for oysters as they eat nematodes for their nitrogen, but as a whole unto itself food source it takes fsr too long to colonise best way is for a multitude of foods like us they get bored of eating one type of food.
If you end up doing anything with this please do let me know.
I'm working with agar at the moment and i really enjoy the process.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149663 on: January 22, 2020, 09:11:22 am »

Your lucky that you have some sort of market that sells various species. I can only get portabello which I don't really enjoy. That's why I grow my own oysters and subaeruginosa.

Oysters aren't mushrooms. Hth.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149664 on: January 22, 2020, 09:28:13 am »

True, oysters are molluscs

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149665 on: January 22, 2020, 09:38:03 am »

But oyster mushrooms go well with seafood. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149666 on: January 22, 2020, 09:39:21 am »

oyster mushrooms are plebeian
Now king oyster mushrooms, that's where its at
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149667 on: January 22, 2020, 09:48:28 am »

Why are we naming fungi after molluscs? We in this case referring to humans in general not specifically the forum goers here

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149668 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:23 am »

oyster mushroom is named because of its appearance, and texture.
It is easily grown on toilet paper rolls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurotus_ostreatus

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149669 on: January 22, 2020, 09:52:38 am »

Because nobody is going around saying "I'm heading to the store to buy some Pleurotus ostreatus for my risotto"
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 9976 9977 [9978] 9979 9980 ... 10973