Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9978 9979 [9980] 9981 9982 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996723 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149685 on: January 22, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »

Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames (SLOW ACOUSTIC COVER... IN THE WATER)

When the Bard wants to be cool as hell but also maybe seduce the dragon.
One of the top comments for the video said something similar, when you want to slay a dragon but the bard decides to try and seduce it instead, paraphrased, maybe the words were in a different order

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149686 on: January 22, 2020, 07:35:02 pm »

Dragonforce - Through The Fire And Flames (SLOW ACOUSTIC COVER... IN THE WATER)

When the Bard wants to be cool as hell but also maybe seduce the dragon.
One of the top comments for the video said something similar, when you want to slay a dragon but the bard decides to try and seduce it instead, paraphrased, maybe the words were in a different order

HA. I will be posting this regardless in my DnD discord.

We have a bard in our current game, you see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #149687 on: January 23, 2020, 02:00:12 am »

I realized while half asleep that I don't know what came between the printing press and the inkjet.
I know there has to be something there but I have no idea what it is
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149688 on: January 23, 2020, 03:00:46 am »

Lithographs, flexo stamps, dot matrix printers, and laser printers. You're welcome.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149689 on: January 23, 2020, 03:05:22 am »

Also, old fashioned mimeograph machines.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #149690 on: January 23, 2020, 03:11:41 am »

What's sad is that there was like 300 years of little innovation in the field; modern automatic printing is a surprisingly new invention.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149691 on: January 23, 2020, 03:14:34 am »

Not when you consider the stranglehold that was on information distribution, and the wildly disproportionate power allocations in place at the time.

It's a wonder Gutenberg was not assassinated, honestly.  Instead the church just tried to get super litigious.

Throw into that, rampant illiteracy for many generations, giving limited momentum to produce improvements.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:17:09 am by wierd »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #149692 on: January 23, 2020, 03:59:01 am »

*insert doubt meme*

Contrary to the article there is the fact that the bible is one of the best selling / most printed books of all time according to the Guinness World Records, with ~ 5 billion sold copies as of 1995.

Though I can see the merit in the claimed effect on the nature of academics that did allow for a more "religious-free" higher education, it seems to me that having readily available and affordable copies  of the "approved information" was far more beneficiary to the church in the long run.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149693 on: January 23, 2020, 04:04:42 am »

I remember seeing stuff where they've found evidence that contradicts the hypothesis that all or most medieval peasants were illiterate, so I'd have to wonder what happened that would drastically lower literacy rates between then and the 1300's.

But then again, the Bible is in a special place in that just because you can't read doesn't mean you shouldn't have a Bible... It's more than just a text about religion, it is The Good Book, and is therefore both a status symbol and an item of worship.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149694 on: January 23, 2020, 04:08:55 am »

Catholic dogma asserts that lay people are not inducted into the deeper understanding of the meanings and messages behind Jesus's parables (partly due to Jesus saying he worded them explicitly to confuse the unwise), and thus should not be interpreting scripture on their own.

As a consequence, rather than having lay people read the bible and think/act for themselves, they wanted the lay people to always confer with a duly ordained member of the clergy, and get an official position.

Naturally, this lends toward a consolidated power structure.

Thus, the litigious shenanigans when people started getting books, especially the bible, without clerical involvement.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #149695 on: January 23, 2020, 05:10:13 am »

Lithographs, flexo stamps, dot matrix printers, and laser printers. You're welcome.
Thank you :D
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149696 on: January 23, 2020, 05:16:08 am »

My gym has recently launched a new marketing campaign; "Train your Brain!", which of course doesn't at all go into the actual neurological effects of exercise on the brain and instead mostly just rambles on about "You should workout and stuff because it's, um... Good! And if you do it enough, you can make a habit of it! That's double-good!"

Beyond that, the signs they've put up have some smug athletic person cheekily peeking up from the bottom of the poster Kilroy-style, and some meaningless little snippet like "Exercise lowers your blood pressure!"

At the gym itself though, there's a particularly egregious one that simply states "Working out has the same effect as antidepressants!"

Which... No. No it absolutely does not. The fuck.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #149697 on: January 23, 2020, 07:18:16 am »

I remember seeing stuff where they've found evidence that contradicts the hypothesis that all or most medieval peasants were illiterate, so I'd have to wonder what happened that would drastically lower literacy rates between then and the 1300's.

But then again, the Bible is in a special place in that just because you can't read doesn't mean you shouldn't have a Bible... It's more than just a text about religion, it is The Good Book, and is therefore both a status symbol and an item of worship.

An enormous amount of what we "know" about the medieval and renaissance era was filtered through a very distorting Victorian-era lens. Even more is twisted by contemporary propaganda that later students took as fact.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149698 on: January 23, 2020, 07:34:09 am »

Everything we know about the nefudvsk era us seen through a very distorted renaissancian lens to begin with

But relates to what Kagus said: The tunic alfabet is now thought to have stayed in use in parts of Sweden up until the 19th century (likely made unused by the public school system at that point).
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149699 on: January 23, 2020, 08:54:35 am »

My gym has recently launched a new marketing campaign; "Train your Brain!", which of course doesn't at all go into the actual neurological effects of exercise on the brain and instead mostly just rambles on about "You should workout and stuff because it's, um... Good! And if you do it enough, you can make a habit of it! That's double-good!"

Beyond that, the signs they've put up have some smug athletic person cheekily peeking up from the bottom of the poster Kilroy-style, and some meaningless little snippet like "Exercise lowers your blood pressure!"

At the gym itself though, there's a particularly egregious one that simply states "Working out has the same effect as antidepressants!"

Which... No. No it absolutely does not. The fuck.

A lot of snake oil is health-related. And a lot of big companies in the health arena are snake-oil-based. Profit over all, you know. Vitamin C is one of the interesting cases there. There are 2 forms of vitamin C. There is an easy to extract version, which is less expensive because it's easier to extract, and a more difficult/more expensive version. Sometimes you see both in stores, with no explanation of why one is more expensive. Usually you only see the cheaper version that does absolutely nothing except get excreted. It's very good that (in the US at least) supplements and the like aren't regulated at all. Same reason you can get iron filings from breakfast cereal.
Pages: 1 ... 9978 9979 [9980] 9981 9982 ... 10973