Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9983 9984 [9985] 9986 9987 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13002062 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149760 on: January 28, 2020, 02:41:31 am »

The original creator of warhammer went and recently made his own thing. I think it's called conquest?

But yeah it's much closer to warhammer fantasy than aggy of siggy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149761 on: January 28, 2020, 04:31:08 am »

Ooooh. This one ?
I remember Alessio Cavatore as the author of various codices and such, though I don't think he was the creator of the game itself.

This looks interesting, though the website is painful to use on mobile.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149762 on: January 28, 2020, 07:04:01 am »

That's the bunny, yeah. A bunch of people in my group are going gaga over it.

Let's be honest there's only so much price gouging most people will take.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149763 on: January 28, 2020, 07:22:05 am »

With Warhammer Fantasy is the new one no good?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149764 on: January 28, 2020, 09:26:38 am »

With Warhammer Fantasy is the new one no good?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar

Depends on your criteria. It's got next to nothing to do with WHF and is much more high fantasy, more simple in terms of basic play and has much more exaggerated model design. A lot of people I know prefer it to WHF, and it's certainly more of a commercial success than WHF was, but it definitely caters to a different crowd.

Personally I'm on the fence and like elements of both and dislike elements of both. I consider WHF a more fleshed out world and better for stories, but AoS is better for being able to make your own themed warhammer army since basically every possible concept can fit in the setting somewhere and still go to war with people from anywhere else because there's portals everywhere.

Mechanically... eh, they're both ok more or less. WHF was a regiment based game with morale and flanking and so on, AoS is more oriented at being a large scale skirmish game. Core game design had big problems in WHF with balance all over the place, AoS seems better balanced from what I know of the game but that might be because GW isn't leaving factions without updates for a decade anymore like it did with the WHF Beastmen and Bretonnians.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149765 on: January 28, 2020, 09:33:13 am »

Basically, if I understand it correctly, they wanted to "endow" WHF with the things most popular from 40K. By which I mean super marines and ridiculous shoulder pads
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149766 on: January 28, 2020, 09:41:20 am »

Basically, if I understand it correctly, they wanted to "endow" WHF with the things most popular from 40K. By which I mean super marines and ridiculous shoulder pads

"Hey, you know how you like WHF because it's not 40k? Fuck you! Now it is."

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149767 on: January 28, 2020, 09:53:56 am »

WHF already basically had those. Big shoulder pads were a part of quite a lot of the model range. Stormcast are basically just chaos warriors but serving a different god and with lightning based travel magic, same basic statlines and gear and almost all their units correlate to a chaos unit that already existed. You could argue that they're talking the Imperial Space Marines vs Chaos Space Marines dynamic from 40k, but the conflict doesn't really have any similarities beyond super soldiers vs super soldier. The vendetta/betrayal opposition is mostly Sigmar vs Nagash based.

What they have been doing is turning various factions and subfactions up to 11.

Dark Elves followers of Khaine had a medusa? Now snakes are their theme.

High Elves had associations with the sea? Now there's a faction of aquatic elves.

Dwarves had steampunk tech? Now there's a faction of them that lives in steampunk blimps and flies everywhere.

Dwarves liked gold? Now there's a faction who travels around looking for magical gold associated with their god.

Sigmar is a pseudo Germanic god associated with lightning? Now he has einherjar with lightning for blood.

Archaon holds himself as greater than the gods? Now he fed some of their mightiest servants to his horse and turned it into a metal asf chimera.

Tomb Kings had bone constructs animated with souls? Now the faction that most resembles them is entirely made of super soldiers constructs animated by souls.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149768 on: January 28, 2020, 01:32:59 pm »

Oh my word.

There's a new security system being advertised around here, and... Honestly, I thought it was satire at first. The ads just show a glass box that's full of smoke, and a caption reading "Can't steal what you can't see!"

It's... It's an actual thing. They're selling smoke systems for houses, to protect against burglary. Because you can't burgle if you can't see what you're burgling. "Total blindness in 60 seconds" says the advert. The system is brilliantly named "ZeroVision".

There's a video ad where they show how effective it is by... Pretending to have a tattoo artist tattoo someone while the room is filling/filled with smoke.

I just... What the fuck. I thought it was mainly just politics distorting the line between parody and reality. What the fuck even is this?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149769 on: January 28, 2020, 01:36:32 pm »

What the fuck even is this?
Literally a remote activated smoke bomb
They need to make it smell like fart gas for that extra deterrence
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149770 on: January 28, 2020, 01:43:09 pm »

I have a whole bunch of questions and the ad copy is answering none of them.

Like, this is most definitely not safe. People are either inhaling liquid vapor or chemical fumes.

What's to stop the criminal from leaving a door or window open?

It takes sixty seconds between when the dispatcher verifies the threat and the security system takes full effect. For a smash-and-grab, the B&E dude just noted what to steal, did so, and is now outside your abode with your shit.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149771 on: January 28, 2020, 01:52:24 pm »

What's to stop the criminal from leaving a door or window open?
I'll translate the answer given by Verisure in a Norwegian comment section when someone asked this same question:

"Hi [Mephisto]! The ZeroVision smoke is quite thick, and regardless of whether the burglar opens a window or not the smoke will take time to air out. In any case it will be quite unpleasant to remain in a room filled with smoke from ZeroVision. This, in addition to zero visibility, will make the burglar leave immediately. Kindest regards: Verisure"

Questions: Increased

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149772 on: January 28, 2020, 01:57:21 pm »

For a smash-and-grab, the B&E dude just noted what to steal, did so, and is now outside your abode with your shit.
No, he left the smoking security system inside.

The idea, I guess, is to secure the bulk of your goods and avoid confrontation.  Just watch when it misfires because you put in the wrong code or dog pushed on the glass window too hard or something.

Are these people putting it into every room?  How far does this smoke go?  Is it just smoke, or more akin to tear gas.

Ill tell you what, as someone who has gotten to breath tear gas, its not something Id stick around in.  Burns the eyes, evacuates the nasals, and when you breath it it takes about a minute to recover sufficiently.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149773 on: January 28, 2020, 01:58:30 pm »

What the fuck even is this?
Literally a remote activated smoke bomb
They need to make it smell like fart gas for that extra deterrence

That keeps my apartment from getting burgled. Also, I don't own shit that's worth anything.

It takes sixty seconds between when the dispatcher verifies the threat and the security system takes full effect. For a smash-and-grab, the B&E dude just noted what to steal, did so, and is now outside your abode with your shit.

I assume the company isn't real, and they're just wanting people to get used to smoke inside houses as a non-threatening idea to cover for arsons.

I don't have any proof of that, but I assume it anyway, because it's certainly cooler than the real story.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149774 on: January 28, 2020, 02:55:01 pm »

Ill tell you what, as someone who has gotten to breath tear gas, its not something Id stick around in.  Burns the eyes, evacuates the nasals, and when you breath it it takes about a minute to recover sufficiently.
As someone who got to inhale a couple lungfuls while also in the middle of a pneumonia infection, [wheezing scream]!

Also no, considering they showed the tattoo artist and her "client" inside the box without complications during the ad, I can't imagine it's actually teargas... I have a hard time believing they'd be THAT stupid.

But... "Very unpleasant" to be in the cloud of smoke? I honestly don't know.

I assume the company isn't real, and they're just wanting people to get used to smoke inside houses as a non-threatening idea to cover for arsons.

I don't have any proof of that, but I assume it anyway, because it's certainly cooler than the real story.
Unfortunately, they're a real company and have been around for years...

They also sell smoke detectors.

The company's store page says the smoke is "DOCUMENTED to be harmless for both humans and animals", and confirms that the smoke cannon can only be activated by a remote operator, who will "verify that it's a real burglary through the use of images, video and sound from your alarm system when the alarm is triggered".

So, yeah... You too can have a remote-activated smoke cannon in your home, fully under the control of the fellow who has complete surveillance of your house!

Which... Y'know... Come to think of it, if something gets stolen while the burglar is on camera, then you have a clear insurance claim for that item. If there's smoke obscuring the image, you can't PROVE that the item disappeared during that burglary, so the claim can be contested.

I smell insurance fuckery.
Pages: 1 ... 9983 9984 [9985] 9986 9987 ... 10974