Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9986 9987 [9988] 9989 9990 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998931 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149805 on: January 31, 2020, 01:07:05 am »

I'm saying that "consume product" only makes sense as an ironic slogan if you ignore the fact that the last forty years of pop culture also relied on "not asking questions" and "consuming product."

Anti-corporate sentiment is all well and good, but not when it hinges upon the idea that the last several decades were perfectly fine until they made a sequel you didn't like. It's shit like this that gets EA voted "worst company of the year" above companies that destroy the environment and ruin lives.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149806 on: January 31, 2020, 03:18:01 am »

Tbh Blizzard has insisted on plodding on with it's shitty business model since Diablo III, despite known lost sales. I think they assume they have a big enough client base to weather the storm
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149807 on: January 31, 2020, 05:03:46 am »

I'm saying that "consume product" only makes sense as an ironic slogan if you ignore the fact that the last forty years of pop culture also relied on "not asking questions" and "consuming product."

Anti-corporate sentiment is all well and good, but not when it hinges upon the idea that the last several decades were perfectly fine until they made a sequel you didn't like. It's shit like this that gets EA voted "worst company of the year" above companies that destroy the environment and ruin lives.

I've never seen it in that context. Usually when I see it it's mocking individuals who are super into "brand lifestyle" or make some franchise a core part of their identity, or are just overindulgent consumers in general. I can understand it being used that way though. Sure they've been running a business from the start, but there's still a line to be crossed from selling a decent work of art to cashing in on the interest in a decent work of art with something that doesn't stand on its own merits and relies solely on association.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #149808 on: January 31, 2020, 06:53:26 am »

EA is not the worst company. They are, however, the worst gaming company, which is the context I mostly saw the dubious title used in.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149809 on: January 31, 2020, 07:06:21 am »

EA! EA! R'lyeh Actiblizz fhtagn!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149810 on: January 31, 2020, 09:11:58 am »

EA is not the worst company. They are, however, the worst gaming company, which is the context I mostly saw the dubious title used in.

Honestly I think Actiblizz has earned that crown now. EA at least has Respawn as its saving grace.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149811 on: January 31, 2020, 09:18:53 am »

Huh. Looks like some sodas don't have that, actually? Maybe root beer, which occasionally isn't even carbonated. You might be able to work milk in there somehow. You definitely can ice cream, so...

Though yeah, coke as a specific term referring to coca-cola (as opposed to a more generic usage you see sometimes), probably not. Flat sounds like it might not be as acidic, so... maybe if you boiled it for a while or added something to neutralize before putting in the milk. Lot of effort for milky cola, though.

You could totally have your bubble tea coke all the time, tho'. Just have to put in the money and effort for it :P

Cream is known for not curdling as bad as milk, because of the higher fat content. And flat soda should be less acidic (though probably not by much), because the carbonic acid should be reduced.

Honestly I think Actiblizz has earned that crown now. EA at least has Respawn as its saving grace.

And Anthem?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #149812 on: January 31, 2020, 10:33:16 am »

Huh. Looks like some sodas don't have that, actually? Maybe root beer, which occasionally isn't even carbonated. You might be able to work milk in there somehow. You definitely can ice cream, so...

Though yeah, coke as a specific term referring to coca-cola (as opposed to a more generic usage you see sometimes), probably not. Flat sounds like it might not be as acidic, so... maybe if you boiled it for a while or added something to neutralize before putting in the milk. Lot of effort for milky cola, though.

You could totally have your bubble tea coke all the time, tho'. Just have to put in the money and effort for it :P

Cream is known for not curdling as bad as milk, because of the higher fat content. And flat soda should be less acidic (though probably not by much), because the carbonic acid should be reduced.

And Anthem?
The only thing I know about Anthem is everyone hates it.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149813 on: January 31, 2020, 10:50:29 am »

And Anthem?

Anthem was a single bad game that came and went, but Actiblizz hasn’t stopped finding ways to piss people off. After people forgot Diablo immortal, they did Blitzchung (which the US government called them out on), and now they’re claiming the rights to all custom content made for their WC3 remake, which already wasn’t that well-received by fans due to deceptive marketing and a lack of effort.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149814 on: January 31, 2020, 10:57:29 am »

And Anthem?

Anthem was a single bad game that came and went, but Actiblizz hasn’t stopped finding ways to piss people off. After people forgot Diablo immortal, they did Blitzchung (which the US government called them out on), and now they’re claiming the rights to all custom content made for their WC3 remake, which already wasn’t that well-received by fans due to deceptive marketing and a lack of effort.

For Blitzchung, i know it's a bad look, but perhaps the Chinese government were putting economic pressure on them. Might have been a case of either laying a lot of people off due to lost revenue / blocked sales in China or banning that one player. It's easy to sit in an armchair and say they should stand up to dictators, but when you're responsible for people's livelihoods it's harder decision. Think: Trolley Problem, except in this case it's "ban one player" vs "put 100 of our employees on the street". Additionally, if the Chinese followed-through with those sorts of threats, they could literally block ALL players from China and Hong Kong from participating, effectively punishing all Chinese players for that one protest being allowed by Blizzard.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:01:28 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149815 on: January 31, 2020, 11:46:34 am »

Just found out that half of my tape measures have a different idea of how much a centimetre is than the other half, differing by about 1 in 20. Because the calibration process must have amounted to 'yeah, so, like, a metre is about this much, and this looks just about right'.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149816 on: January 31, 2020, 12:08:54 pm »

Just found out that half of my tape measures have a different idea of how much a centimetre is than the other half, differing by about 1 in 20. Because the calibration process must have amounted to 'yeah, so, like, a metre is about this much, and this looks just about right'.

How much of that is a very short first centimeter? The sizes in the middle should be pretty accurate, but the ends are a crapshoot.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149817 on: January 31, 2020, 12:14:23 pm »

I never thought about checking that. They don't look particularly lopsided, though.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149818 on: January 31, 2020, 12:15:35 pm »

If these tape measures have the claw thingy on the end, it's supposed to be able to slide back and forth allowing for accurate interior and exterior  measurements.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #149819 on: January 31, 2020, 12:22:00 pm »

For Blitzchung, i know it's a bad look, but perhaps the Chinese government were putting economic pressure on them. Might have been a case of either laying a lot of people off due to lost revenue / blocked sales in China or banning that one player. It's easy to sit in an armchair and say they should stand up to dictators, but when you're responsible for people's livelihoods it's harder decision. Think: Trolley Problem, except in this case it's "ban one player" vs "put 100 of our employees on the street". Additionally, if the Chinese followed-through with those sorts of threats, they could literally block ALL players from China and Hong Kong from participating, effectively punishing all Chinese players for that one protest being allowed by Blizzard.

For starters, yes, the PRC put pressure on Activision Blizzard. They were about to release Call of Duty for mobile on Chinese platforms, and the PRC would obviously be less so inclined to approve the roll-out if Activision Blizzard were to be caught fraternising with Hong Kong protestors.

However, there are some things you are not considering when factoring in why people are so fucking livid with the moral cowardice of Blizzard Activision. It is disingenuous to deflect responsibility from Activision Blizzard onto their critics, when their critics are their consumers and have every right to explain why they have been betrayed - Activision Blizzard sold itself as a company which protects its community and gives everyone around the world a voice; when they had to choose between greater profits and acting as the political arm of a government murdering its own citizens, they chose poorly.

It is ludicrous to expect that consumers should be understanding and empathetic to a multibillion dollar company for ruining the life of one of its own pro-players. That of course is the other aspect of it all, in that Activision Blizzard's E-sports scene attracts pro-players on the understanding that they can make a livelihood on the game. They do not part-time compete in order to reach the skill level needed to win; it'd be like banning a HK Swimming athlete from the Olympics because they voiced their opinion and brushing off this action as if it wasn't one of the sickest things you could do. Once you eliminate that trust, that winnings can be taken and entire tournaments canceled without warning (just look at what happened to the HOTS scene), you hurt your profits and damage trust you don't get back.

And they don't deserve to get it back.
Forget about the evil of siding with a powerful foreign government over your own loyal supporters just to get a few more billions, forget about betraying your own founding company values for money, forget about ruining the careers of the two casters who didn't even have anything to do with Blitzchung, but this notion of "they were just protecting the company staff" is complete fucking bullshit, because when they had record profits they responded by firing 800 staff.

Activision Blizzard's CEO is one of the most overpaid CEOs, coincidentally

Tl;dr
The company deserves to be ritually adored with a corrugated cactus
Pages: 1 ... 9986 9987 [9988] 9989 9990 ... 10974