Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9987 9988 [9989] 9990 9991 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13136550 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149820 on: January 31, 2020, 01:09:42 pm »

when they had to choose between greater profits

Well right there you're showing that you're very biased in how you're looking at things. Companies aren't just magic money machines, cutting back means huge layoffs, the same employee layoffs you've probably railed against in other posts. Lost revenue also means a big drop in the number of employees needed to support that revenue.

In actual fact, making video games isn't the huge profit-spinner people think it is, the profits reported on video game companies aren't all that great compared to other companies. You make much bigger markups and more reliable revenues pouring cups of coffee than making games, and people expect a lot less from their coffee provider.

It is ludicrous to expect that consumers should be understanding and empathetic to a multibillion dollar company for ruining the life of one of its own pro-players

how did they "ruin his life" exactly? he got a one-year ban from a commercial game. That's hyperbole. Being blocked from a game for one year is "ruining his life". His life is ruined because he can't video game for cash now, in one specific game, for a whole 12 months, and may have to get a regular job like the rest of us? Taking big risky stances like Blizzard could have that hit profits also mean you have to fire a lot of people. When you're the decision-maker, you need to take that into account, how many other peoples lives would actually be ruined if they went the other way?

But what if ... China had instead blocked ALL players in China from participating like I said. You haven't addressed that. They could have permanently blocked all other Chinese players. If a one year ban is "ruining his life" then what would you call a permanent ban of hundreds if not thousands of other players? If that was the case, they'd effectively be "ruining the life" of hundreds of other current players, and theoretically ruined the life of millions of other potential Chinese players, by your own argument, if they took the other stance.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:31:55 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149821 on: January 31, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

Damn son, where'd you find this?
I had leftover ice from bubble tea, and a soda stream cola mix thingy. So I just dumped it in the cup.

Probably also matters that it was coconut milk instead of regular milk. Regular milk does not enjoy coke.

But yeah it was a revelation. If there was a way to always drink this, I would.
What is meant by animal milk not “enjoying” the coke? Do you mean it floats on top? Sinks to the bottom? Produces heat and/or steam when poured on it? I have never mixed milk of any kind with pop/soda, as I do not drink them

According to the internet, the phosphoric acid in coke insta-curdles the milk. It turns into horrid little clumps.
Thank you for clarifying

This is a great pun. Much applause.

Anyway, EA is ridiculously awful, and I'm not buying another ActiBlizz game for literally as long as I live. I have spoken.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149822 on: January 31, 2020, 01:37:17 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:05:38 am by dragdeler »
let

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149823 on: January 31, 2020, 01:51:35 pm »

Well, you see, Reelya, the ethical thing to do in the case of the Hong Kong protesters would have been to stick with Blitzchung, and if china happened to ban all activblizz games, so be it. Because supporting China trying to crush dissent is unethical, even if it "saves jobs".
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149824 on: January 31, 2020, 03:03:38 pm »

I've read a fair bit about the protests, from what I've heard the police there have been fairly low key compared to how they could be. There haven't been any deaths that could be attributed to the police so far, and what are the city officials meant to do if citizens start setting up roadblocks and throwing petrol bombs / firebombing shops belonging to mainland businesses. Meanwhile the original law they were protesting has been well and truly buried. This is past protesting a law and is now in the "overthrow the government" territory. You try that shit in America or Canada and the government response would be every bit the same as the Chinese one, but probably heavier on the shooting.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:09:43 pm by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149825 on: January 31, 2020, 05:14:27 pm »

I read that W3 Reforged is called Refunded and people are campaigning is nothing but an HD resking of the game. All those promises of new UI, better more cinematic cutscenes and many other things were throwed away for a simple reskin.

Not that is bad per se. The thing is they promised a lot, gathered tons of money beforehand and then delivered something really lacking most things they used as sellpoints hiding behind the "all this pics and videos were work in progress and subject to change".

I could understand they changed features and characteristics for others, but they changed them for nothing.

Had they announced a simple HD remake they would have probably gathered as much money and people would be very happy still. Damn bait and switch tactics.

My wtf is how a comerce authorities lets a bussisnes get away with crap like this and wtf how people still falls for preorders.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149826 on: January 31, 2020, 05:17:21 pm »

Okay you guys, today I'm gonna pull my thumb out and smash through all this packing I need to do. Yup, that's right, no more procrastinating on this super-important thing I absolutely need to get done ASAP.
Monster Energy, give me strength...   

This is past protesting a law and is now in the "overthrow the government" territory.
You are aware that the government in question is a communist one, yes? The law(s) that sparked this off was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm assuming that now that it's going alright people are like "holy heck, why didn't we do this years ago?!"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149827 on: January 31, 2020, 05:21:08 pm »

Just found out that half of my tape measures have a different idea of how much a centimetre is than the other half, differing by about 1 in 20. Because the calibration process must have amounted to 'yeah, so, like, a metre is about this much, and this looks just about right'.

You misunderstand, the day they made your measure tape it happened to be cold in paris.
Believe me, 'did they calibrate this with their dicks' was the first thought I had.
Btw, I only found out about the discrepancy once my freshly arrived bicycle parts failed to fit onto the frame.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #149828 on: January 31, 2020, 05:23:25 pm »

The second that the Chinese government starts killing protesters, They’ll be in unimaginable trouble with the rest of the World. Even if that doesn’t come to pass, are they really going to take that risk?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149829 on: January 31, 2020, 05:29:07 pm »

Just found out that half of my tape measures have a different idea of how much a centimetre is than the other half, differing by about 1 in 20. Because the calibration process must have amounted to 'yeah, so, like, a metre is about this much, and this looks just about right'.

You misunderstand, the day they made your measure tape it happened to be cold in paris.
Believe me, 'did they calibrate this with their dicks' was the first thought I had.
Btw, I only found out about the discrepancy once my freshly arrived bicycle parts failed to fit onto the frame.
Oh no... did you send away for the specific size to fit your bike? D:
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149830 on: January 31, 2020, 05:30:00 pm »

The second that the Chinese government starts killing protesters, They’ll be in unimaginable trouble with the rest of the World. Even if that doesn’t come to pass, are they really going to take that risk?
I mean, they're already killing protesters.

They're just not shooting them with machineguns yet. It's already *bad*. Also, the police start a lot of fights to make the protesters look bad.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #149831 on: January 31, 2020, 05:33:58 pm »

Huh. Please disregard my previous statement in that case while I go and fetch my Faith in Humanity. I had been keeping it in the Mariana Trench, but I now see that the only Place for it is the bottom of the Kola borehole.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149832 on: January 31, 2020, 05:42:48 pm »

They'll been doing it since even before Tian square. Killing  protesters to disuade others is standard totalitarian method, one the communists are pretty adept at.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149833 on: January 31, 2020, 05:45:25 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:05:22 am by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile