Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10030 10031 [10032] 10033 10034 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13170555 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150465 on: March 14, 2020, 05:05:11 pm »

New microwave means easier food cooking. I myself don't use it very often, though.

In his mind at least, not getting it now may mean not getting for a while before everyone gets locked down by quarantine or illness. Out of everyone in my family, he's the one panicking most about it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150466 on: March 14, 2020, 06:03:45 pm »

That might be the most sensible reaction I've ever heard you describe that person having.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #150467 on: March 14, 2020, 07:17:20 pm »

CK2 mod team I'm part of finally decided to make a public discord.

The WTF is that I expected it to immediately devolve into a huge mess... and it didn't. So that's a good WTF.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150468 on: March 15, 2020, 07:37:56 am »

Command and Conquer is getting a HD remake by EA. WTF? How did I miss that?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150469 on: March 15, 2020, 07:41:51 am »

Well, that sounds mildly terrifying. I wonder how they're going to manage to screw it up. Loot boxes? What's the spread on the loot box bet?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150470 on: March 15, 2020, 08:20:01 am »

You remember that the game had the option of literal random loot boxes over the battlefield? Well, now every time you get one you have to use a special key to unlock it. EA sells 10 keys for 5$.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150471 on: March 15, 2020, 08:21:52 am »

If I remember correctly, random crates was a game option in Red Alert at least. (most of them exploded)

But yeah, I'd put money on most units being locked behind lootboxes. Rather, I would, except that's the point of lootboxes, isn't it? Oh, and there's only two maps at launch with the other 5 being $30(each) DLC.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #150472 on: March 15, 2020, 08:25:57 am »

Ah EA. One of these days they’re just going to release the menu for a game for $60 and have all the menu items except “quit” be greyed out DLC.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150473 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:31 am »

Ah EA. One of these days they’re just going to release the menu for a game for $60 and have all the menu items except “quit” be greyed out DLC.
dont give them ideas, mate!  :D Joking, they wouldn’t be that stupid, right?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150474 on: March 15, 2020, 11:21:58 am »

What about "pay on play basis". Games are free to download and install. You only pay as much as you play, 10 cents the minute of play.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150475 on: March 15, 2020, 11:32:02 am »

What about "pay on play basis". Games are free to download and install. You only pay as much as you play, 10 cents the minute of play.
That might not be as terrible as it sounds?

I often play games for several hours and then quit them, only to pick them up for a few more when the itch arises.  But it would also require a lot of setup wrt internet access, credit cards, etc.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150476 on: March 15, 2020, 11:35:11 am »

That probably wouldn't work out economically viable for an AAA game.

The main constraint on players these days isn't cost, it's time. And if you have a ticking clock in the game with a price meter, they're going to feel the time constraint and be likelier to quit playing sooner rather than later. Notice that most games have a more time = more rewards model. This pricing scheme would run opposite to that.

Also, if you played for 40 hours to complete the game's main story and at that point, you'd spent $60, then what percentage of players would actually make it that far? I imagine the curve for play-hours would be very steep, with most playing only a very short time and only a handful of the starting group of players making it that far, and thus those people having to foot the bill for almost the entire development costs. Plus, it penalizes slow-and-steady type players, or those who look in every nook and cranny, so you've just alienated a whole class of player types.

Breaking the game up into purchasable chapters would be a better option. Pretty much anything that makes games less-monolithic is the way they're moving forward with that issue. For example Call of Duty's game-every-year model means that development times are shorter, each game has less scope to develop, and it's not all eggs in one basket. So you have the engine team working on the next engine version while the designer teams crank out stories and games using ever-tweaked versions of the last engine. It also means they're not as buggy: they're not shipping their latest game on the bleeding-edge engine, they're shipping games on a rock-solid tested engine, while doing research on engine++, and they can back-port improvements into the working engine after they're fully tested, if desired.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:51:27 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150477 on: March 15, 2020, 11:43:40 am »

So, y'mean, like...

...World of Warcraft?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150478 on: March 15, 2020, 11:54:13 am »

Yeah sorry I did mention something about subscription models, but removed it because I didn't think it was actually a good idea. The problem is that there's only room in the market for "a couple" of subscription-based games in any market segment. So, copying WoW and having a subscription just won't work. It's not horizontally-scalable to other games. People won't want to have multiple game subscriptions that they pay every month for similar games.

I don't think players would really like pay-per-minute either. It would feel rushed, even if the price works out the same. Also, if you had a WoW subscription and also could pay-per-minute for a second MMO, I think people would still feel like they're double-paying: you could just play WoW and not have to pay the additional per-minute cost on something else.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:57:32 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150479 on: March 15, 2020, 12:03:30 pm »

Cat threw an absolute fit earlier, for no apparent reason. I've never seen anything like it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 10030 10031 [10032] 10033 10034 ... 10983