Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10036 10037 [10038] 10039 10040 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13171715 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150555 on: March 21, 2020, 06:10:05 am »

Fixed it.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #150556 on: March 21, 2020, 09:39:03 am »

Also, neither Oedipus nor Napoleon had the complex named after them.

Who're they named after then?
I said that wrong. The complexes are named after them, but they didn't have the complex themself. Napoleon wasn't short, and Oedipus didn't know he was banging his mother, and when he found out he did not like that.

I see. It looks like this is even more true for the Elektra complex - from what I can tell, Elektra only murdered her mother.
I remember the plot of Oedipus and just now read about Elektra.

Oedipus killed his father and bed his mother, both unknowingly.
Oedipus' family learned he would do that from a prophecy and cast him out. he left his adoptive family (who did not tell him he was adopted) because of the same prophecy. On his way, he happened to kill his father (who was incognito at the time). Then he came to Thebes, became a local hero and married the queen widow (his mother).
Nobody knew they were related until a Kinslayer curse was revealed to be upon him.

Elektra killed her mother, but she had a legitimate reason.
This reason was that her mother killed her father (something that had to be avenged in ancient Greece) and exiled Elektra.

Interestingly, Elektra's brother was also involved in avenging his father's death, and (1) he got chased by the Furies because it was still matricide and (2) Elektra did not.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150557 on: March 21, 2020, 09:43:53 am »

So, in that vein, is the complex where you want to bang your sister named after Turin Turambar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #150558 on: March 21, 2020, 11:44:01 am »

Was that before or after Elektra dated Daredevil?
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150559 on: March 21, 2020, 11:45:21 am »

So, in that vein, is the complex where you want to bang your sister named after Turin Turambar?

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #150560 on: March 21, 2020, 06:59:56 pm »

I'm playing Ultima VII, and having once been a huge fan of RuneScape I'm amazed that nobody has made the connection between the two. At least in my opinion, they're extremely similar. Both games have:

- A large, contiguous open world that isn't broken into discrete level-appropriate "zones"
- A sort of proto-Deus Ex-style immersive simulation where you can do things like mill grains to make flour, mix that flour and water to make dough, then bake that dough into bread
- A magic system based on consumables (reagents for Ultima, runes for RuneScape) as opposed to spell points
- Static structures and NPCs that facilitate crafting, as opposed to menus or player-built structures
- Very similar art styles and sense of humor
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:03:37 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150561 on: March 21, 2020, 07:14:36 pm »

I love Ultima VII. Also part II. While flawed (half finished at times) I loved the mysterious air pf the ophidiam ruins.

I think it loses a bit with overexplaining the ophidians' origin later
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150562 on: March 21, 2020, 10:58:43 pm »

I'm playing Ultima VII, and having once been a huge fan of RuneScape I'm amazed that nobody has made the connection between the two. At least in my opinion, they're extremely similar. Both games have:

- A large, contiguous open world that isn't broken into discrete level-appropriate "zones"
- A sort of proto-Deus Ex-style immersive simulation where you can do things like mill grains to make flour, mix that flour and water to make dough, then bake that dough into bread
- A magic system based on consumables (reagents for Ultima, runes for RuneScape) as opposed to spell points
- Static structures and NPCs that facilitate crafting, as opposed to menus or player-built structures
- Very similar art styles and sense of humor

Ultima games have had so much influence on the CRPG genre that singling out them as an influence for any individual game is pretty pointless. Up until the mid-90s, you could just say "if this is a top-down game, it's heavily influenced by Ultima the most recent; if it's a real-time first person they're copying Ultima Underworld, if it is first-person turn-based they're aping Wizardry or Might And Magic." and have a 90% chance of being right.

Looking at Runescape in particular, it is more likely to be taking influence from Ultima Online than anything else, although the creator cites MUDs (Multi User Dungeons, basically a Infocom-style text game with multiple players, many of which took inspiration from Ultima and ultimately inspired Ultima Online) as the main inspiration.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150563 on: March 22, 2020, 09:43:49 am »

Internet is being super shitty and unstable today, so I run some speedtests to see if the issue might be local or some specific sites are just being shit. Speedtest turns out pretty fine on most accounts, both local servers and a handful of EU based ones. But then when I go to watch a video or a stream or download anything the actual speed drops down to like less than a tenth of the tested one which is baffling, how the hell does one browser page manage to squeeze out the full potential of my connection while another struggles to load five fucking seconds of 480p video without choking for a minute :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150564 on: March 22, 2020, 09:57:39 am »

Internet is being super shitty and unstable today, so I run some speedtests to see if the issue might be local or some specific sites are just being shit. Speedtest turns out pretty fine on most accounts, both local servers and a handful of EU based ones. But then when I go to watch a video or a stream or download anything the actual speed drops down to like less than a tenth of the tested one which is baffling, how the hell does one browser page manage to squeeze out the full potential of my connection while another struggles to load five fucking seconds of 480p video without choking for a minute :I
Had the same thing happen a few days ago. All videos and some sites were affected. I figured it's windows update hogging up the bandwidth or something, and turned it off for a week or so. Not sure if that was really the thing, but things did improve markedly.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150565 on: March 22, 2020, 09:58:53 am »

Had the same thing happen a few days ago. All videos and some sites were affected. I figured it's windows update hogging up the bandwidth or something, and turned it off for a week or so. Not sure if that was really the thing, but things did improve markedly.
Its not. Same thing happened here last week. Its increase in telework, telecom, and general internet usage. We're all locked in. That places a strain on the network
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150566 on: March 22, 2020, 10:08:24 am »

That was my initial suspicion too, but digging around a bit more and trying different solution to potential proxy setting problems (since it was the one error the troubleshooter insisted was present, turns out turning off automatic detection of said settings gets rid of the problem :V ) I realized that my phone had no such issues, connected to the same network via the same wifi it was loading stuff like YT without any trouble whatsoever. So I really got fuck all of an idea what the issue here is if it's only affecting the PC's.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150567 on: March 22, 2020, 12:49:35 pm »

Most ISPs that throttle speeds have speedtest websites whitelisted to pretend they aren't throttling.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150568 on: March 22, 2020, 03:58:15 pm »

If you go to youtube and run a video, right click and choose stats for nerds one of the graphs that will come up after you let it run for a minute or so is your connection speed.

It's probably not 100% accurate, and there's likely better ways out there, but it gives you a relatively short over time graph that you can keep an eye on, ISPs likely will never whitelist youtube, and it lets you spot intermittent problems when watching something for a few minutes.  Like seeing a connection be fine then drop down into the kb/s range for 20 seconds or so then jump back up.

When I suspect connection problems I trust that more than I trust my internet company's official tests.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:00:13 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150569 on: March 22, 2020, 06:49:26 pm »

The i5-9300HF. "H' indicates high-performance (integrated) graphics, "F" indicates "requires discrete graphics" (i.e. no integrated graphics). So it's an i5 with high-performance integrated graphics, and... no integrated graphics? The fuck? Even Intel's so confused by this oxymoron of a name that they don't even mention whether or not the chip has integrated graphics.

(On most of their pages, like the one for the i5-9300H, there's a section for Processor Graphics. Even on the page for the i5-9400F, which doesn't have integrated graphics, they at least have the courtesy to write "N/A" at Processor Graphics.)
Pages: 1 ... 10036 10037 [10038] 10039 10040 ... 10983