Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10037 10038 [10039] 10040 10041 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173337 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150570 on: March 22, 2020, 11:22:16 pm »

On a certain blog, there's a certain commenter for whom the descriptor "lunatic" would be charitable. Constantly whining about how "challenge gamers" have been pushed out, how easier games are some sort of alt-left culture war conspiracy. Now, when talking about alternative medicine, he's citing Dr. McCoy as an example of a "sane, sober person" who believed in it. I hope for his own sake that he's referring to some real person I can't find, and not the Star Trek character. But if he does, other regulars have largely gotten tired of trying to debate him on good faith and will probably give him an earful. And I will be there with popcorn.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150571 on: March 22, 2020, 11:28:31 pm »

At the current rate, he's on his way to being only the second person booted from the blog. They guy running it all but told him to get back on his meds.

EDIT because I accidentally posted. It is pretty obvious that he's talking about Leonard McCoy from Star Trek.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150572 on: March 22, 2020, 11:35:37 pm »

Constantly whining about how "challenge gamers" have been pushed out, how easier games are some sort of alt-left culture war conspiracy.

That is clearly silly, though it's probably an offshoot of the GamerGate thing.

Easier games are because people are sick of buying games then getting to a certain point where the game kicks your butt and you can't go any further. A game you can't finish, or that only an "elite" few can finish is a rip-off to people who lack those skills.

If they're going to make the game super-hard, with no difficulty settings, then have a super-hard bit right in the first 20 minutes so that anyone can claim a refund if they're not "elite" enough to get the full game they paid for.

People generally don't mind "hard but fair" games that give you a few options on how to deal with obstacles, but punishingly hard games where if you don't play exactly the way the game wants, otherwise the games says "sucks to be you, no more game for you. BTW, thanks for the money, no refunds, now!" piss people off. This is why there are games with difficulty options now. Hell, even the first Doom had difficulty levels.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:49:17 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150573 on: March 23, 2020, 12:12:40 am »

have a super-hard bit right in the first 20 minutes so that anyone can claim a refund if they're not "elite" enough to get the full game they paid for.

Personally, I hate when developers do this. Both Resident Evil Revelations and Dead Rising 4 had the opening being brutally hard on the highest difficulty, but the rest of the game was almost trivial on Normal after you got your options expanded.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150574 on: March 23, 2020, 07:21:31 am »

My normal state of low-level panic partially offset by lack of sleep continues. That, and the discussion of the Mass Effect ending being too dark for people reminded me of a comforting movie ending.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #150575 on: March 23, 2020, 07:37:09 am »

Who could possibly think the Mass Effect ending were "dark"?
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #150576 on: March 23, 2020, 07:43:49 am »

Mass Effect ending?
Red, green, or blue?  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #150577 on: March 23, 2020, 08:54:08 am »

have a super-hard bit right in the first 20 minutes so that anyone can claim a refund if they're not "elite" enough to get the full game they paid for.

Personally, I hate when developers do this. Both Resident Evil Revelations and Dead Rising 4 had the opening being brutally hard on the highest difficulty, but the rest of the game was almost trivial on Normal after you got your options expanded.

Salt & Sanctuary opens up with a bossfight that you are absolutely not prepared for, and where you are supposed to get utterly stomped. The game starts properly after you get your ass handed to you by Mockthulhu.

...the fight can be won, however. If you happen to know how it moves and can time your dodges and attacks well. ...in other words, if you're already good at the game. Beating the boss gets you an extremely rare (and finite) upgrade material and a cheevo for your efforts.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150578 on: March 23, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »

Salt & Sanctuary opens up with a bossfight that you are absolutely not prepared for, and where you are supposed to get utterly stomped. The game starts properly after you get your ass handed to you by Mockthulhu.

...the fight can be won, however. If you happen to know how it moves and can time your dodges and attacks well. ...in other words, if you're already good at the game. Beating the boss gets you an extremely rare (and finite) upgrade material and a cheevo for your efforts.

That sort of thing doesn't bother me at all when it is supposed to be unwinnable - the first Dark Souls does the same thing. What I hate is when the game has a massively front loaded difficulty, giving you a false idea of how hard it will be - I like my games to be difficult, and want to be able to set the difficulty appropriately.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150579 on: March 24, 2020, 03:27:43 am »

Just woke up and found one of my weather loaches (aquarium fish) on the floor of my bedroom, a few feet from the tank. Still alive fortunately, they can handle some time out of water unlike most fish. It's back in the tank covered in carpet lint and recovering.

No idea how it managed to get on the floor where it was. It was lucky I woke when I did or it could have been lying there for a few more hours.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #150580 on: March 24, 2020, 05:16:51 am »

As a kid, the first time I remember interacting with a fish tank was walking up to it, and a small flat silver fish jumped out of the back of the tank and behind one of those old TVs. There was a wild panic as people tried to move the TV and find the fish to save it. It didn't make it.

I have never been interested in owning fish of my own.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #150581 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:16 am »

I don't own any pets because I feel like I can't handle the responsibility and I'm afraid of accidentally making it miserable or killing it.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150582 on: March 24, 2020, 08:08:14 am »

As a kid, the first time I remember interacting with a fish tank was walking up to it, and a small flat silver fish jumped out of the back of the tank and behind one of those old TVs. There was a wild panic as people tried to move the TV and find the fish to save it. It didn't make it.

I have never been interested in owning fish of my own.

I mean, not live fish, anyway. Would kill for some walleye.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150583 on: March 24, 2020, 10:02:00 am »

get stray cats.  just leave sone dry food outside every morning.  birds will take it if nothing else.  but at night you may want to take in any uneaten food
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #150584 on: March 24, 2020, 10:07:05 am »

but at night you may want to take in any uneaten food
Otherwise your house will get invaded by mischievous raccoons.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 10037 10038 [10039] 10040 10041 ... 10983