Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10050 10051 [10052] 10053 10054 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13139843 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150765 on: April 01, 2020, 07:56:47 pm »

The problem with that is men’s rights activists arose to challenge women’s rights activists, so probably not.

Do you mind telling us (or me in a PM ‘cause I’m curious likes eh) what specifically you’re looking for with men’s rights?
Basically, they're campaigning against the large amount of misandry in our society and focus on that much like a feminist focuses on misogyny.
To be clear, I do not believe only women take a part in misandry, it's a society wide problem.
Can you give some examples of this?
I don't have a list, so with just a little thought, male rape victims can be ridiculed for being raped, or people won't believe that they were raped much like happen with women. Sometimes due to it they don't even realize they were raped.
There's a lot more stuff, mostly based around men not allowed to act like men, but that's the most important one I can think of.
Oh, and rape of males is treated much more like light comedy than female rape.
FAKEEDIT: Yeah, Naturegirl's examples fit.
Single fathers not being believed to exist is another example.
Really the most important misandrist thing is the idea it doesn't and can't exist, because it means you have to fight to prove it exists at all sometimes to fight against misandrist things.
Some of it is more ignorance than actual hatred because of the idea it can't exist.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoubleStandard is actually a weirdly good place to realize it exists. I know I didn't realize many things were misandrist until they were pointed out. For that matter it also pointed out misogynist things I hadn't realized.

Sorry for the constantly edited rant.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:11:43 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #150766 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:25 pm »

I think an example would be men not being allowed to show emotion? Not being allowed to be with their own children if the mother isn’t present? I’m not sure if these are misandry or something else
There's are good examples I hear, yeah.  Typical others include registering for the Selective Service (signing up for potential military drafting), people assuming the worst in sketchy situations or even courtrooms, and (related) difficulty winning custody relative to women.

My position is that the kind of Feminism I and those I know subscribe to recognizes all these male-centric problems as just as real as other forms of discrimination, and tries to reach gender equality from all sides.  Like... yeah, all that is real and awful, and springs from the same cultural ruts which make things bad for others also.  This Feminism is gender-egalitarian, and always was.  It got its name from when the power imbalance was a lot worse than it is today, but the mission of equal rights continues - by building up both sides.

I've seen many people truly interested in gender equality who self-described as MRAs, and I get it.  They have a view of Feminism from extreme, hateful, often very young shock-personalities on certain social media.  Serious people are having conversations about equality, not literally hating on men.

Fakedit: oh shoot yeah male rape victims are a horrifying example.  Domestic abuse too.  I guess that's part of people assuming the worst of men in court, but it bears repeating.  And at the same time, female victims are disbelieved and ostracized.  It's not the same all around, but it's bad for everyone and needs work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #150767 on: April 01, 2020, 08:10:30 pm »

Unrelated, have any of you heard of there being a recession now or the economy collapsing, because my dad just without additional context told me there's a depression now and I'm freaking out.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150768 on: April 01, 2020, 08:22:34 pm »

There isn't a US recession or depression at the moment, but there probably will be a recession in the second half of 2020.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150769 on: April 01, 2020, 09:00:39 pm »

Goldman Sachs (iirc) is currently projecting a Q3 GDP (or something like that) contraction of like 30% for the US, yes. So, uh. Yeah. It might not technically meet the definition of depression (I seem to recall that needing multiple quarters of contraction, whereas what's coming is just a massive fucking sledgehammer all at once), and it's probably not full on here, yet... but for all intents and purposes we're in a depression, just the early stage. Just gonna take another few months for the train to proper hit.

Also our unemployment rate is basically just going to read "lol" and tens of thousands of people are probably going to be dying of the crow plague, so hey. Interesting times, albeit remarkably shitty ones.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:02:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150770 on: April 01, 2020, 09:05:09 pm »

Spain's pretty much the same. The biggest impact here will be that tourism is 20% of GDP... and tourism is dead this year.

I think after this that whole idea of each EU country superspecializing will have to be rethought. Same with global "just in time" supply chains.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150771 on: April 01, 2020, 09:10:06 pm »

You mean a house of cards is unstable, and that there are *REAL* reasons for having "inefficient" local supply capabilities protected inside a country's borders for the purposes of weathering emergency situations!?

UNPOSSIBLE! UNTHINKABLE!  NONSENSE!!

Why, that would mean that there are legitimate reasons for keeping trade barriers like tariffs in place to protect those old fossils!

/s

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150772 on: April 01, 2020, 10:13:55 pm »

Is there a community I can find that's specifically actually for men's rights, without being against women's rights?

If you're on Reddit, MensLib is a good place to start. I'm not going to try to summarize it but they're good people. It's a feminist thing so it's not about doing things at the expense of women.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:40:37 am by Mephisto »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150773 on: April 01, 2020, 10:17:56 pm »

You mean a house of cards is unstable, and that there are *REAL* reasons for having "inefficient" local supply capabilities protected inside a country's borders for the purposes of weathering emergency situations!?

Why, that would mean that there are legitimate reasons for keeping trade barriers like tariffs in place to protect those old fossils!

/s
What? Most of the horseshit being hosed by the GDP tanking has nothing to do with that. The issues we're having with local supply (to the extent we're actually having them, which outside of medical is questionable and that due to stuff like the fucking shitgibbon in chief directing federal agencies to undercut the supplies in question) has less to do with that and more to do with our emergency logistics being ran by goddamn kleptomanical idiots. Having production being immediately local wouldn't help with that at bloody all, save maybe being easier to citizen takeover.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150774 on: April 01, 2020, 10:25:01 pm »

/s
What? Most of the horseshit being hosed by the GDP tanking has nothing to do with that. The issues we're having with local supply (to the extent we're actually having them, which outside of medical is questionable and that due to stuff like the fucking shitgibbon in chief directing federal agencies to undercut the supplies in question) has less to do with that and more to do with our emergency logistics being ran by goddamn kleptomanical idiots. Having production being immediately local wouldn't help with that at bloody all, save maybe being easier to citizen takeover.

You did see the sarcasm thing at the end (and also the hopefully obvious sarcasm), yeah?

The problem with that is men’s rights activists arose to challenge women’s rights activists, so probably not.

Do you mind telling us (or me in a PM ‘cause I’m curious likes eh) what specifically you’re looking for with men’s rights?
Basically, they're campaigning against the large amount of misandry in our society and focus on that much like a feminist focuses on misogyny.
To be clear, I do not believe only women take a part in misandry, it's a society wide problem.
Can you give some examples of this?
I don't have a list, so with just a little thought, male rape victims can be ridiculed for being raped, or people won't believe that they were raped much like happen with women. Sometimes due to it they don't even realize they were raped.
There's a lot more stuff, mostly based around men not allowed to act like men, but that's the most important one I can think of.
Oh, and rape of males is treated much more like light comedy than female rape.
FAKEEDIT: Yeah, Naturegirl's examples fit.
Single fathers not being believed to exist is another example.
Really the most important misandrist thing is the idea it doesn't and can't exist, because it means you have to fight to prove it exists at all sometimes to fight against misandrist things.
Some of it is more ignorance than actual hatred because of the idea it can't exist.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoubleStandard is actually a weirdly good place to realize it exists. I know I didn't realize many things were misandrist until they were pointed out. For that matter it also pointed out misogynist things I hadn't realized.

Sorry for the constantly edited rant.

As long as you're asking about sources, online sources are usually less trustworthy. Newspapers and the like that have stood the test of time may or may not be, but at least you can check their history and ownership (like Washington Post being bought out by Elon Musk). For online sources that have a history, they've either been around since Internet was a thing, or they're like Reddit, 4-chan (and the rest of the related sites), or Tvtropes which have had repeated issues with somewhat large portions of their members being neo-nazis, pedophiles, and misogynists.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:30:19 pm by Iduno »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150775 on: April 01, 2020, 10:29:08 pm »

I believe he did. His argument is more of this vein:

Having strategic local supply that you have carefully protected (via whatever methods to sustain that protection you choose, be it 100% govt subsidy, tariff, et al) means precisely DICK, if the people overseeing that mechanism's operations are are kleptomaniacs.

Which is a very good and valid criticism.

However-- the criticism is improperly applied; Poo does not live in the USA, and instead lives in the Eurozone.  (Spain, specifically.)

Hyperspecialization in the eurozone was a thing being tried, with the intent being a shared supra-national economy. However, this resulted in severe shortages of basic materials in the face of different levels of shutdown in the various eurozone countries.

The sarcasm was leveled at europolitics, not US politics, but it does apply to US politics as well.

The real thrust of the sarcasm was that being 100% beholden to either side of the divide-- (eg, 100% globalist, or 100% protectionist) results in circumstances that produce profound vulnerabilities, in exchange for the desired effects of the position (Hyper efficient production vs hyper-self-sufficiency--- With greater risk of upset from catastrophe and greatly diminished economic growth rate, respectively.)

As such, it (the sarcastic comment), was that the globalists will have to accept that "yes, some degree of protectionism would have been helpful here" which is heretical to their almost religious zeal they exhibit in their economic theory.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:33:20 pm by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150776 on: April 01, 2020, 10:45:20 pm »

EDIT: wrong thread.

Anyway, PPE shortages are not because of corporate croynyism or goverment corruption, although they might or might not have been worsened by that in your immediate environments.  The PPE shortage is global. Spain, Italy, UK, France, US. Name a country, it happens everywhere.

It even happened in effin China back in January. This shit that hit us, we weren't ready. I dont know if there was time to get fully ready between Wuhan and the present. I do know that goverments are in general reacting really really slow. But neither changes the fact that the supply chain is way too vulnerable. In entering extreme cost-cutting the system did away with redundancy. And as it happens, redundancy is important in times of crisis.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:12:40 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150777 on: April 02, 2020, 04:58:05 am »

@Iduno, minor note, but the Washington Post Was owned by Jeff Bezos last time I checked.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #150778 on: April 02, 2020, 08:26:17 am »

So youtube finally recommended me something I have more than a passing curiosity in.  Last week was homemade airgel.  This week was wwii propoganda films.  That were designed to be more educational than propaganda - though Im sure some of it is just exaggerations.

In fact, I admit to having a small difficulty in telling what is rightfully propaganda and what is a fact of the time.

For instance, they roundly denounce most of what comes from the Reich as hot air.
But then the one on japan or 'negro sailors' is lessso.  I mean, japan has an actual shrine to cut off noses just hanging out.

A cursory glance seems as if these videos were intended for the soldiers - of what rank idk.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150779 on: April 02, 2020, 08:31:40 am »

I assume you're getting your videos from PeriscopeFilm - which ones aren't you sure about?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 10050 10051 [10052] 10053 10054 ... 10980