Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10051 10052 [10053] 10054 10055 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13134305 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150780 on: April 02, 2020, 08:34:04 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvcE9D3mn0Q Im referring to this series.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150781 on: April 02, 2020, 08:35:04 am »

@Iduno, minor note, but the Washington Post Was owned by Jeff Bezos last time I checked.

They aren't the same guy?

That's what I get for going from memory instead of looking shit up.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150782 on: April 02, 2020, 09:06:09 am »

Skimming that one about Japan (and having some familiarity) most of that was genuine. There was some racism-induced mangling of information, and there's always a degree of "what we know" that is wrong, but as far as I can tell everything there is either true or was genuinely believed to be true by the filmmakers.

The key to interpreting this sort of thing is to look at how they describe the vices and virtues of the enemy. In this one, the vices are sloppiness in appearance and drill, and the virtues are "they make really nasty soldiers - they're tough as hell, tenacious as the devil, and will pop up places you wouldn't expect anybody to get to". This indicates that the purpose is education and a genuine attempt to get into the mind of the enemy rather than indoctrination of the "baby-boiling Hun" variety. This would have been aimed at all enlisted and lower-ranking officers, with the expectation that higher-ranking officers (anything above major or light colonel) would have the opportunity to study much more comprehensively.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150783 on: April 02, 2020, 02:03:29 pm »

I think I broke something in my body. There's this constant sharp pain on my left side, somewhat below the chest area. It's like something's constantly stabbing me internally in the side. It gets worse if I try doing stuff like twisting. It doesn't get worse when I stand up, which makes me think it's something in the ribs that broke, not the spine.

I really think I should be feeling something other than just "WTF?" I should probably be slightly more panicked than this, but I have no clue of what's going on. Could be the spine, could be the ribs, maybe someone managed to implant a knife into my side; anything goes before I can get a proper diagnosis.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150784 on: April 02, 2020, 02:13:23 pm »

Sounds more muscular than anything else TBH
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150785 on: April 02, 2020, 02:29:53 pm »

I think I broke something in my body. There's this constant sharp pain on my left side, somewhat below the chest area. It's like something's constantly stabbing me internally in the side. It gets worse if I try doing stuff like twisting. It doesn't get worse when I stand up, which makes me think it's something in the ribs that broke, not the spine.

I really think I should be feeling something other than just "WTF?" I should probably be slightly more panicked than this, but I have no clue of what's going on. Could be the spine, could be the ribs, maybe someone managed to implant a knife into my side; anything goes before I can get a proper diagnosis.
Do you have a precipitating event?

If you took a blow to your side, it's probably a broken rib.  Broken ribs you can sometimes self treat.

If it's just lifting, maybe hernia, which you need to get looked at as soon as possible.

If you don't remember what happened, it was aliens.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150786 on: April 02, 2020, 02:45:34 pm »

This was an interesting watch. The primary aim of that propaganda reel obviously wasn't for some sort of military effect (the japanese government had been suing for peace for a while before its release), it's more a pseudo-educational history lesson on the war used as part of a broader dehumanization campaign to justify the ongoing military policies targeting civilians in particular. The main thrust is that not merely the Japanese government and military are the enemies, but also that ordinary Japanese people are a homogeneous cult of collectivist fanatics who are inaccessible to reason and will blindly die or suffer any privation. There's even a bit that compares Japan to a "mad dog" that needs to be put down, followed immediately by a clip of an American soldier firing a rifle.

It's a long film with a lot going on, and there are many particular things a modern viewer should pick up on, besides the more overtly racist imagery and language: there's a segment describing the Japanese economy as being based largely on a decentralized cottage industry of household "factories", which is hard not to read as an after-the-fact justification of the firebombing campaigns; the Philippines (an American colony) are the only occupied territory to get a named procession of ambiguous war crime reels with America as protector and liberator; there's a hilarious history lesson lamenting how the "peaceful" west had tried to turn notoriously bloodthirsty Edo Japan into another colonized client state but had failed (my favorite part was the bizarre description of Christianity as a force of "equality"); they call Japanese industrialization a somehow treacherous theft of western power, playing a tiny violin for the American businesses bullied by their export economy; and, of course, they insinuate that Japanese Americans were full of foreign agents and racially tied to Shinto, as justification for the internment camps.

Without mistaking me for defending Imperial Japan or hating on the US, I'd say one absolutely shouldn't take this thing on face value as anything other than an interesting record of the propaganda of the time.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150787 on: April 02, 2020, 02:52:07 pm »

Do you have a precipitating event?

If you took a blow to your side, it's probably a broken rib.  Broken ribs you can sometimes self treat.

If it's just lifting, maybe hernia, which you need to get looked at as soon as possible.

If you don't remember what happened, it was aliens.
I do have a habit of carrying my laptop and its power adapter by my left hand (and it is fairly heavy; the combined weight of the two is 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs)),  so I guess I had it coming. I was hoping that the back problems would strike a bit later.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150788 on: April 02, 2020, 03:08:57 pm »

This was an interesting watch. The primary aim of that propaganda reel obviously wasn't for some sort of military effect (the japanese government had been suing for peace for a while before its release)

This was released in 1944. Up through 1943 the Japanese thought they were winning. By 1944, they were putting some feelers out for a peace on a Status Quo Ante Bellum basis, which would have allowed Japan to keep everything they conquered except the Philippines and Wake Island - this was acceptable to nobody, and should have been treated as completely unacceptable.

there's a segment describing the Japanese economy as being based largely on a decentralized cottage industry of household "factories", which is hard not to read as an after-the-fact justification of the firebombing campaigns

That would be an impressive feat indeed, since this was released before the firebombing campaign started. Operation MATTERHORN, the first actual bombing campaign, started in June 1944. These were daylight raids against "point" targets (by the standards of the time) such as factories and power plants using conventional explosive and armor piercing (which were used to punch through concrete factory roofs) bombs. A second campaign -SAN ANTONIO I- followed in November, targeting the Japanese aircraft industry. The first incendiary attack was not until December 3, 1944, and was a small-scale attack made because the conventional attacks were doing effectively no damage whatsoever. Not only did Japan rely much less on factories than Germany did, the much lighter construction typical of Japanese buildings proved highly resistant to this form of attack.

The first significant firebombing didn't happen until February of 1945, and that was a test run against Tokyo to gauge how effective this strategy would be. Large scale attacks began in March 1945.

The reason that the video calls out Japan's production as relying heavily on decentralized household factories is quite simple - Japan's WWII-era production genuinely relied heavily on decentralized household factories.

the Philippines (an American colony) are the only occupied territory to get a named procession of ambiguous war crime reels with America as protector and liberator;

The fact that this was the only major US territory that had been captured -and that it was known then that around 15000 captured US and Filipino troops had been murdered by the occupiers- probably had something to do with that.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150789 on: April 02, 2020, 03:31:54 pm »

Dude, it was released in August 1945, just after the atomic bombings. If you watch it, you would see a segment comparing the powers of the emperor to religious and political leaders in the west, and they use Truman (April 1945).

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150790 on: April 02, 2020, 03:38:02 pm »

Sounds like ya spleen there, buddy.

I really think I should be feeling something other than just "WTF?" I should probably be slightly more panicked than this, but I have no clue of what's going on.

Oh, don't worry. I've been nonchalantly dismissing the occasional sharp pains in my general heart area for a while now, and I'm still alive!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150791 on: April 02, 2020, 03:49:52 pm »

I really think I should be feeling something other than just "WTF?" I should probably be slightly more panicked than this, but I have no clue of what's going on.

Oh, don't worry. I've been nonchalantly dismissing the occasional sharp pains in my general heart area for a while now, and I'm still alive!
For me, those behave a lot like gas pains. Ekg normal and all.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150792 on: April 02, 2020, 03:54:50 pm »

>fart gently
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150793 on: April 02, 2020, 04:26:44 pm »

Sounds more muscular than anything else TBH

Yeah, try a heating pad, to see if it makes your ribs/back feel better. If not, Traveller was right about them aliens.

>fart so hard you prolapse

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150794 on: April 02, 2020, 04:30:29 pm »

I decided to clean and organize my home library, and discovered two shocking facts.

1. The author of the Anita Blake series (Laurell K. Hamilton) wrote a Star Trek: The Next Generation novel.

2. I somehow own three copies of it.
Pages: 1 ... 10051 10052 [10053] 10054 10055 ... 10979