Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10060 10061 [10062] 10063 10064 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184932 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150915 on: April 09, 2020, 07:04:43 pm »

You didn't sign up for a free trial of anything, did you?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150916 on: April 09, 2020, 07:30:26 pm »

Ok, that prompted me to check previous months and motherfucker it keeps happening, has been for months on, and almost always on the same date. Fucker started even smaller in July, and fucked if I remember what happened then, especially since I was having computer problems so I don't have any browsing history from back then. And they'll be charging the card again today probably (always seems to be the 10th).

Fucking hell am I pissed at myself right now, this wasn't that big of a loss financially but I should've noticed this shit way sooner, especially since I'd usually go trough these lists whenever I'd gotten them, I just never noticed this thing nestled among other purchases before, but March was fairly empty so the damn thing stood out like a sore thumb.

Not sure if the bank will even be open tomorrow tho, gonna have to go and empty the thing trough an ATM I guess and see about getting a new card.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #150917 on: April 09, 2020, 07:32:39 pm »

It sounds like you accidentally clicked a cross-sell at some point, and have some sort of subscription.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150918 on: April 09, 2020, 07:36:23 pm »

Sure, but I can't find any active subs on amazon, nor would it double in price after a few months without letting me know I think. So it's certainly not tied to my account since I'd get some sort of notification of that trough e-mail when it happened.
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #150919 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:35 pm »

Every once in a while I remember Data was also the VA for Puck in the gargoyles cartoons. It's kind of a good wtf, but still a wtf.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150920 on: April 09, 2020, 10:54:24 pm »

Sure, but I can't find any active subs on amazon, nor would it double in price after a few months without letting me know I think. So it's certainly not tied to my account since I'd get some sort of notification of that trough e-mail when it happened.

What you might be able to do is get a second bank account number linked on your same account, then use online transfer to keep your money there. The purchase should then bounce as no funds are available, and that should hopefully cancel whatever it is. Failing that, go into the bank and see about blocking that thing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #150921 on: April 10, 2020, 04:03:42 am »

Uhh, isn't that a good way to get overdraft charges though?  I think the proper way is to contact the bank and explain the situation, presumably you can ask them to refuse future charges (even contest past ones, theoretically, though you would want to understand what happened first).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150922 on: April 10, 2020, 05:00:13 am »

Yeah, went to the bank. They said they'd do a chargeback on the last transaction and if it happens again I should contact them and just get a new card.
AS - IG

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #150923 on: April 10, 2020, 05:17:27 am »

I'm looking through an old hard drive, and I see something very strange in its SMART data.
Quote from: CrystalDiskInfo
Power On Hours: 250 hours
Power On Count: 17

This is an external 3.5" hard drive (that I pulled out of its enclosure) that was apparently used from late 2010 to late 2011, shared between family members. How has this thing only been powered on for just 250 total hours? If it was left plugged in, why isn't the Power On Hours higher? If it was unplugged (or saved power by shutting off when not in use), surely the Power On Count would be higher than just 17 times? My old portable HDD logged ~26000 hours and ~340 power-on counts from 3 years of use, so how's this thing basically brand-new? Is it actually measuring its total runtime in days instead of hours?

Edit: No, it's definitely measured in hours, I waited an hour to confirm.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 05:31:26 am by methylatedspirit »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150924 on: April 10, 2020, 07:29:29 am »

WhyTF does Windows 10 get slower with a long uptime? I can literally type faster than it can update the screen.  The internet doesn't help either.  Microsoft website says "it's a driver issue" or "make sure your software is up to date."

I can't comprehend what could be going on in the background that would cause keyboard interrupts to slow down.

I suspect it's probably more to do with memory leaks in some services somewhere or something.  My current stats:

Up time: 28 days 23 hours 37 minutes.
Processes: 217
Threads: 3150
Handles: 1196090   :o

I only have three programs I requested to be open open - the other 214 processes are due to "automatic" crap.  >:(

EDIT I rebooted because it was unusable.  Immediately after reboot: 201 processes, 2844 threads, still ~72500 handles.  But I can't type faster than the updates again!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:32:59 am by McTraveller »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150925 on: April 10, 2020, 07:47:24 am »

My mom's having the same kind of problems with win10, it seems like with every update the thing gets shittier and shittier.

And you can't disable or delete most of the crap, as it'll just come back at some point even if you don't want it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150926 on: April 10, 2020, 08:31:35 am »

I just checked my Win10 machine.
Used RAM: 2.3GB
Ram used by users: Mathel : ~500MB

Windows 10 system uses 1.8GB memory! :o

Current processes (with only Task Manager running intentionaly)
Apps: 2
Background processes: 54
Windows processes: 95

The second App is MS Teams, which I turned off, yet 3 instances are listed in apps and 3 more in background.

I don't know how to check handles and threads, but at least I disallowed most apps to run in the background. That should save some memory, though not very much.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150927 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:03 am »

Wind10 just seems to be the crappiest OS you can buy now days.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #150928 on: April 10, 2020, 08:36:00 am »

One Win10 update uninstalled my English keyboard. That was the most dumbfounding interaction I've had with it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150929 on: April 10, 2020, 08:38:50 am »

WhyTF does Windows 10 get slower with a long uptime?

Because it's a bad program that nobody would use if there were reasonable alternatives.
Pages: 1 ... 10060 10061 [10062] 10063 10064 ... 10983