Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10061 10062 [10063] 10064 10065 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185614 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #150930 on: April 10, 2020, 09:12:33 am »

I'unno, my processes start time on a win10 machine looks to be about five days ago, and I'm not noticing any meaningful slowdown. What counts as long uptime, here?

... oh, wait. A month, right, I see it now. I can't think of any of the win OS versions (or much of anything else, for that matter) that wouldn't have hiccups after like a month uptime, heh. It's real easy for stuff to accumulate over that kind of time frame if you're not being real careful about making sure everything shuts down properly and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150931 on: April 10, 2020, 09:33:13 am »

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/08/why-is-windows-10s-system-process-using-so-much-ram/

If you've made the jump and updated to Windows 10, you might have noticed something strange: the System process takes up an insane amount of RAM, often over 1GB. That's actually not a bug, it's a feature of Windows 10. Here's how it works.

Before we explain what's going on in the new versions of Windows, let's talk about how previous versions of Windows have handled memory usage. You only have so much space in RAM to store data. If you fill up your computer's memory, Windows would offload the least used pages of data to the pagefile, which resides on your hard drive.

The downside to this method is that if you need to use data from your pagefile again, it has to get it from the much slower hard drive, rather than loading it from ultra-fast memory. While that's better than an app crashing, it would still be better if that data didn't have to leave memory at all.

Windows 10 still uses a pagefile when it has to. However, now when your computer's memory starts to fill up, Windows 10 will start compressing old pages of memory so they take up less space, similar to what happens when you create a ZIP archive of multiple files. So, for example, if you have an app running that you haven't touched in a while, rather than copying the information about that app to your hard drive, Windows will simply make it smaller, but keep it in memory.

The trade off, of course, is that decompressing the compressed memory takes up more CPU cycles. Typically, however, this performance cost is much, much lower than it would be if the system had to retrieve data from a hard drive (even SSDs). So even with the compression, it's faster to pull those old apps out of memory than it is to load them from the hard drive's pagefile.

All of the compressed memory that Windows 10 creates is stored in the System process. This is why it appears to balloon over time. The longer you have your computer running (and the more applications or browser tabs you launch), the more data in memory Windows will need to compress.

Mac users have been using a very similar feature since 2013, and even newer versions of the Linux kernel employ a type of memory compression. Despite the fact that it looks worrying in the Task Manager, this method of conserving memory is not only better, but already pretty common among other operating systems.

A lot of that "used" space is actually reserved space for compressing memory pages so they don't have to be offloaded to the page file.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/805lsr/ubuntu_vs_windows_10_battery_life/
EDIT: also note that many people say that on notebooks, battery life is worse on Ubuntu vs Windows 10. Whatever stuff Windows 10 is doing with memory and the CPU, it's not adding to up chewing through more electricity, but less electricity. They're not imbeciles, the system is designed that way for reasons and "maximizing the display of free memory in Task Manager" isn't one of their design metrics. Reducing hard-drive thrashing and maximizing battery life are things the people working on Windows care about, whereas with Ubuntu it's "everything is super fast, isn't that great. What your battery dies really fast? We didn't take that into account, it's not important". Apparently with sufficient "tweaks" you can get Ubuntu power-usage "almost" as good as Windows 10 is out of the box.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:55:44 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150932 on: April 10, 2020, 10:09:10 am »

They're not imbeciles, the system is designed that way for reasons and "maximizing the display of free memory in Task Manager" isn't one of their design metrics.

No, it's the bland type of dystopian where everything is designed by so many people that no one person knows what everyone is doing, and then that gets further ruined by sales and marketing.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150933 on: April 10, 2020, 11:10:30 am »

A lot of that "used" space is actually reserved space for compressing memory pages so they don't have to be offloaded to the page file.
That actually makes sense.

What does not make sense is this:
I started my laptop today, about 9 hours ago.
Yet, task manager shows this(I found where it is):
Processes: 169
Threads: 1820
Handles:~ 76500
Uptime: 1:22:48:07
The last digit are seconds.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150934 on: April 10, 2020, 11:35:16 am »

I was gonna respond to the Linux discussion again, but didn't want to expend the effort to put my thoughts down at that moment.

Just gonna say, you can run a Linux machine constantly for years and not have any slowdown.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150936 on: April 10, 2020, 12:22:18 pm »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #150937 on: April 10, 2020, 12:55:55 pm »

https://preview.redd.it/dye8ajv33gp41.gif?format=mp4&s=9443e77fe4672f1f7daaff92c58f6ecfbe818691
is this your turtle? She must be strong to be able to pull herself up like that
Thats a snapping turtle. Probably not his. Strong enough to cut fish in half and cut fingers off IIRC
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #150938 on: April 10, 2020, 12:56:26 pm »

https://preview.redd.it/dye8ajv33gp41.gif?format=mp4&s=9443e77fe4672f1f7daaff92c58f6ecfbe818691
IIRC that's a reversed gif of someone tormenting the turtle
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #150939 on: April 10, 2020, 12:58:19 pm »

Oh. That's sad then. Who decided to abuse animals and then post the evidence?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #150940 on: April 10, 2020, 01:57:57 pm »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #150941 on: April 10, 2020, 02:06:26 pm »

Oh. That's sad then. Who decided to abuse animals and then post the evidence?

Having grown up in an area rife with them, I hate snapping turtles. They are mean little bastards.

That said, whichever dirtbag is abusing them like that needs to be fed to a tank of them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150942 on: April 10, 2020, 02:14:27 pm »

Lower them in scrotum first tho. Slowly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #150943 on: April 10, 2020, 02:26:31 pm »

Tie his mouth to a tap, but instead of water coming out of it there's snapping turtles
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #150944 on: April 10, 2020, 03:06:55 pm »

This is getting disturbingly close to that Spongebob thing
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10061 10062 [10063] 10064 10065 ... 10983