Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10105 10106 [10107] 10108 10109 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13180630 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151590 on: May 20, 2020, 12:13:56 am »

I think I've seen them mentioned here a few times. My mind first goes to United Fruit, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151591 on: May 20, 2020, 03:44:18 am »

Racist banana commercial from the 50s suggests frying bananas with egg and cornflake in a deep fryer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YNlCxo43E&list=PLr6iRuQF-UsLcyVd8-xPxooOdQyQ7e1k9&index=5

The true crime against justice there is mixing animation and live action in the same piece. But you really can't go past Synchro-Vox for true uncanny valley use of mixed animation, and you get your daily dose of everyday racism too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHg1-mpcUY

EDIT: I had to look it up to check, but Chiquita rang some bells. They are the successor company to United Fruit Co.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #151592 on: May 20, 2020, 09:38:01 am »

How do people manage to convince themselves that not wearing facemasks is manly, and not cowardly fearing being a coward like it actually is?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151593 on: May 20, 2020, 09:43:51 am »

They feel socially conspicuous wearing one, even though everyone else is.
They find it physically uncomfortable to wear, and hard(er) to breathe in.
I personally think the one I ordered from shinesty reminds me of woman's panties, with how they constructed the side to have give and not pinch.

And because heroes dont wear helmets, nor are they afraid of a tiny little virus.

The masks I want are either ones with a rebreather or have a charcoal filter of some kind.  I just dont want to shell that kind of dosh for something I personally doubt Ill need.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151594 on: May 20, 2020, 10:46:02 am »

Covering your face is a big social taboo for us. You just don't. It's dishonest and disquieting.
Love, scriver~

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #151595 on: May 20, 2020, 10:55:03 am »

Covering your face is a big social taboo for us. You just don't. It's dishonest and disquieting.

Is thatt why everyone seemed so scared when i robbed the bank? was my nask too scary?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #151596 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:45 am »

It speaks to something primal in us, I guess. The face is an expressive organ. It tells people our intents. Tiny changes in mouth position indicate a hundred different things. When your face is covered, you become a wilder element. Less predictable. People find this, to use scriver's word, "disquieting."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151597 on: May 20, 2020, 11:41:35 am »

This reminds me of something from Wesnoth.
Campaign The Hammer of Thursagan, scenario 11 The Court of Karrag

Angarthing: But the Law must see. A dwarf must put his name and his face behind his deeds. I am a witness.

Now, we are not dwarves of Quenia, but a mask still offers some degree of anonymity. People that know you will still recognise you, but people who do not be able to accurately describe your face.
This is part of why seeing someone in it is unsettling. When someone wears a mask, they are trying to be anonymous. Similar with seeing people trying to hide and such. Activities that seem to indicate guilt.

Personaly, I do not like wearing my mask because it makes breathing difficult (I made one eventualy). This indicates it is working, but is also annoying. But I still wear the mask when there are people nearby, because I do not want to endanger them in case I happen to have CoViD19 and not know it yet.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #151598 on: May 20, 2020, 03:34:14 pm »

I'unno, it's yet to have bothered me to see folks wear masks. Even pre-plague, masks were just... whatever. Body language and tone means a lot more for interpreting hostility or whatever, t'me. Considering we're in the middle of a bloody global plague, there's exactly zero disquiet in seeing people wearing them. More comfort, really...

It is indeed harder to breath in the things, though, and I don't do super great on the breathing front to begin with. I'm wearing one when I go to grocery stores or whatev', but that's about it. That'll change when where I'm working opens back up to the public, but that ain't here yet.

It does bother me to see people with the thing down on their chin or whatever, though. Like. No, people, c'mon now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151599 on: May 20, 2020, 03:57:48 pm »

If you think wearing a mask makes breathing hard, try covid19  :P
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151600 on: May 20, 2020, 04:24:04 pm »

So Directv is out from Venezula. Soon enough the three of us will be alone with Maduro here.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151601 on: May 20, 2020, 04:26:03 pm »

is that your service provider?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #151602 on: May 20, 2020, 04:42:16 pm »

It's now just IndirectTV
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #151603 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:48 pm »

About Ubisoft's new Terms of Service..

Quick disclaimer:
1) I'm not affiliated with the channel I linked. I'm marely sharing the video because it might be important to some people.
2) I haven't actually fact check it, I don't use Ubisoft's stuff anyway so it doesn't directly affect me. If however any of you do use their products then you are advised to check the actual document for yourselves.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:37:49 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151604 on: May 20, 2020, 05:32:56 pm »

is that your service provider?
It was, I bougth a deco back when I had money, then the service was interrupted by lack of payment for like two years until a couple of months ago when I managed to get the service back, didnt have to pay any fee and got the very same premium package I had before, the account was bascally frozen all this time.

It was dirt cheap back then, even more so now, less than 1 dollar per month and included all HBO and all. Well, it was good the little while it lasted for us again.

Good thing got the wii back (again) so peter wont be bored all the time.

Edit. Now I just have to produce the AA batteries. And well, wait until the power is back again. The little guy already made all the "assigned" homework for the whole week and we dont have much supplies to let him paint as much as he wants. Fuck this lockdown is really fucking us up
It's now just IndirectTV
LOL
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:39:27 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 10105 10106 [10107] 10108 10109 ... 10983