Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10109 10110 [10111] 10112 10113 ... 10970

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12950504 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151650 on: May 25, 2020, 02:08:46 pm »

Keyboard warrior: Someone with a bad weapon. Or a good weapon, if it is the instrument rather than the typing device.

Keytar warrior.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151651 on: May 25, 2020, 02:47:41 pm »

k3¥804r \/\/4r10r just teabaged you.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151652 on: May 26, 2020, 03:54:10 am »

The same thing with Social Justice Warriors. It makes it sound like they're heroically standing against injustice.
That's the core of the insult - that's what the people think they're doing, when what they're really doing is fellating their own ego.

That's right. The terms "social justice activist" or "social justice campaigner" are never used as insults. And that gets to the heart of what the term SJW as a pejorative means and why it's different from those two terms. It means someone who's jumped on a bandwagon and is self-righteous about it.

It's the same type of insult as "bible basher" to describe overly zealous Christians (new converts?) who constantly try and convert people and have a big ego because they're the true believers and everyone else has those inferior everyday beliefs. It's the innate sense that they think they're better than everyone else because they jumped on whatever specific bandwagon they happen to have decide is the "one true belief system". Bible Bashers and Social Justice Warriors are actually virtually identical. Both are the same in terms of psychology. If you switch out the right nouns/phrases you could convert utterances between them seamlessly. It's just human psychology: groups and belief systems, they are all prone the same human foibles. There's nothing "special" about religion. Thus, other types belief systems can also fall prone to the same foibles that beset religious belief.

You can find the exact same flavor of asshole in virtually any context. Their are self-righteous assholes about D&D stuff, there are self-righteous assholes about Linux stuff, there are self-righteous assholes about Christianity. SJWs just happen to be the exact same type of asshole, but they've chosen that thing to obsess over. If you twitter-mob someone for saying the wrong words then that's not "brave", sorry SJWs. That's hiding behind mob bullying.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 04:05:52 am by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151653 on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:09 am »

SJW in my head is "Sure Jesus Would" or something along hose lines. Dunno why have always have been like that for ne.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151654 on: May 26, 2020, 09:08:50 am »

On the plus side, you can call the Religious Right SJW's.

"Jesus would totally want us to make political decisions based on religion to the detriment of everyone else!"

"SJW..."

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #151655 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:14 am »

The difference between a SJW and a human rights activist is that one of them is annoying, insufferable, ineffectual, and has holier-than-thou attitude that makes them attack anything they see as bigotry, even if a sane person really wouldn't see it as that. Hint: It's not the activist.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151656 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:53 am »

In some cases activitsts are the worst. In any suficiently large group you'll always have morons, it's a given.

But as pointed out most religious pricks the recently converted or "found again the path" or something along those lines. Generally people born into a religion will just roll with it and leave others alone unless born with the trait Zealotry wich gives them +2 on conversion.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151657 on: May 26, 2020, 10:04:46 am »

In the South, full of fundies taught from birth, I haven't found that to be the case. They all seem pretty zealous and control-grabby. I'm just going off anecdata though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151658 on: May 26, 2020, 10:10:05 am »

Southern Baptists are infamous though...

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #151659 on: May 26, 2020, 10:30:09 am »

Same in Russia. We have a lot of Orthodox fundamentalists.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151660 on: May 26, 2020, 10:52:24 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:58:43 am by dragdeler »
let

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #151661 on: May 26, 2020, 11:11:50 am »

I guess the insult is lesbian: manly, homosexual male: womanly. It's more surprising to me how lesbian isn't pejorative. Somehow I'd like to see Clyde & Boner patroling the streets. Two adult men are more than likely to be able to beat up your "core family".
Who the fuck are Clyde and Boner, and why are they beating up an employee's spouse (including common-law spouse), children and children of?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #151662 on: May 26, 2020, 11:16:34 am »

Who the fuck are Clyde and Boner
The 18+ mockbuster version of Great Depression era bank robbers, Bonnie and Clyde?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151663 on: May 26, 2020, 11:39:08 am »

Always the WTF thread.

Always this one.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151664 on: May 26, 2020, 11:46:23 am »

Randomly- any grammar nazis able to lend a hand?
I've got ^ these things in my writing. They seem to occupy some weird space between a comma and a bracket. Especially for -in the case of formal writing- adding in extra bits which might be out of sequence in a sentence, but are 'more important' than bracketed stuff.

I think they're illegal? But I keep using them because I don't know of anything better. Are they kosher? Should I be using them? I don't want to lose marks because professors are reading my stuff and going 'wtf is with all of this dude's hyphens?'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 10109 10110 [10111] 10112 10113 ... 10970