Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10115 10116 [10117] 10118 10119 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13190230 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151740 on: June 05, 2020, 08:11:47 am »

I'm looking at PC cases (planning for a future project), and it seems that almost every case has RGB lighting. Why? Why do PCs need to be lit up like a fucking Christmas tree on acid now? How and why did RGB become a trend in the first place?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151741 on: June 05, 2020, 08:13:18 am »

I'm looking at PC cases (planning for a future project), and it seems that almost every case has RGB lighting. Why? Why do PCs need to be lit up like a fucking Christmas tree on acid now? How and why did RGB become a trend in the first place?
unsure. Why would one add more electric energy requirements than necessary?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151742 on: June 05, 2020, 08:26:59 am »

Possibly to find the buttons and usb ports in the dark?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151743 on: June 05, 2020, 08:30:45 am »

I wouldn't think that the lights would be much more of a power drain than anything else, but yeah, it's kind of dumb. Heck, even my graphics card has lights on it. At the very least, it's probably not that hard to remove the wires to the lights.

Possibly to find the buttons and usb ports in the dark?

I can tell you right now there are no lights whatsoever near any of the USB ports on my case. I don't think there's one by the power button, or if there is, it's broken.

Maybe it's because people associate such lights with high technology. Clearly, the highest-end PC cases will have a bright glow and a background choir.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #151744 on: June 05, 2020, 08:31:33 am »

Compared to the power requirements of a typical PC (varies wildly depending on purpose and specifications, but usually 100-1000W), the RGB LEDs that are normally used for these things consume basically nothing in comparison. It's not really power consumption that's my main concern here, it's that RGB looks really garish and too unsubtle. It's too showoffy for my tastes. It screams "I have a better PC than you!", but in reality, the PC's a Celeron paired with a GT 210. That's the impression I get from RGB.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151745 on: June 05, 2020, 08:43:04 am »

Compared to the power requirements of a typical PC (varies wildly depending on purpose and specifications, but usually 100-1000W), the RGB LEDs that are normally used for these things consume basically nothing in comparison. It's not really power consumption that's my main concern here, it's that RGB looks really garish and too unsubtle. It's too showoffy for my tastes. It screams "I have a better PC than you!", but in reality, the PC's a Celeron paired with a GT 210. That's the impression I get from RGB.
i get relative to the computer the LEDs don’t use lots of power, but they still use power, and given that the PC uses lots of power, why add more power drainers? Even if they don’t drain very much power, they still use power, as well as the lights tending to be very bright. My PC has one small red light on the power button, and it’s not very bright.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151746 on: June 05, 2020, 09:24:40 am »

You really just have to find a case without the RGB, or one that you can control the color on - set it to a nice cool blue or purple.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151747 on: June 05, 2020, 09:46:33 am »

One of my first smartphones used to blink a red light and chirp once per minute when it power was low.  Suffice to say that didnt help it retain a charge.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151748 on: June 05, 2020, 07:14:38 pm »

i get relative to the computer the LEDs don’t use lots of power, but they still use power, and given that the PC uses lots of power, why add more power drainers? Even if they don’t drain very much power, they still use power, as well as the lights tending to be very bright. My PC has one small red light on the power button, and it’s not very bright.

It isn't just relative to the computer. LEDs use so little electricity that you'll never notice a difference in cost between a LED-equpped computer and an otherwise-identical one without them. Literally at pennies-per-century levels.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151749 on: June 05, 2020, 07:29:29 pm »

It isn't just relative to the computer. LEDs use so little electricity that you'll never notice a difference in cost between a LED-equpped computer and an otherwise-identical one without them. Literally at pennies-per-century levels.
Oh. Thanks. I still think that things don’t need to be covered in them, though. They tend to be fairly bright.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151750 on: June 07, 2020, 01:01:27 am »

Reality just feels so surreal atm. I read a book a few months ago, "That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis, and if you know the man you know that all his writings have strong Christian leanings, and this is no exception. It's about a weirdly powerful secret society that is searching for the tomb of Merlin in order to exploit his ancient magical power and take over the world. That's just the last step of the plan, the group itself is a clear parallel to the Nazis (and seeing as the book was written in 1945, there's no doubt.) and like the Nazis they run disinformation campaigns, have a personal police force that engages in intimidation and extrajudicial killings, dubiously illegal land seizures... but my point is: at the climax of the story, we learn, of course, that they were all Satanists the whole time, being literally commanded by a disembodied head that was being used as the medium that their dark lord speaks to them through.

I was just reminded of this book, not just because of the clear parallels and the unnerving, utterly perplexing maliciousness of police which also mirrors characters in the book, but also because of that one "Photo Op" scandal just recently. Trump going way out of his way, ordering his guard, apropos nothing, to beat and tear gas the protesters that were in his way... just so he could go to the nearby church, throw the bishop out, and blaspheme against the Bible. It's just such a pointlessly stupid and anti-Christian, or perhaps anti-religious, thing to do...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151751 on: June 07, 2020, 01:12:35 am »

I've never liked CS Lewis very much. Not least because of said heavy-handedness religious themes.
Actually mostly because of that and the cojoined moralizing tone. I don't usually like being preached at in books.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151752 on: June 07, 2020, 01:22:50 am »

You are misinterpreting Trump's action there.

It is not/was not "I think I will shit on religion today."  It was "I need to appear strong and make an iconic presentation with an unimpeachable authority to cement my authority in this time of civil strife and discord." (though probably not that erudite.)

It was about invocation of imagery, being used in a world setting where most people are suffering from information overload, and thus are unable to properly absorb or process what is factually going on around them, and are forced to process the environment instead using abstract symbols and concepts.

The IMAGE of appearing to uphold the bible, to stand behind it and before a church, has evocative power that he was seeking to capture and harness to galvanize his support base in order to sustain their support.

He just seriously cocked it up by gassing the actual priests that run the place he chose to do it at.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151753 on: June 07, 2020, 01:33:36 am »

Yeah, I can understand that. I was just reminded of the book. I'm just so constantly baffled by the man that is equal parts malicious and incompetent.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151754 on: June 07, 2020, 03:08:32 am »

I've never liked CS Lewis very much. Not least because of said heavy-handedness religious themes.
Actually mostly because of that and the cojoined moralizing tone. I don't usually like being preached at in books.

I loved the Narnias. But I was also very young and raised too irreligiously to even understand the parallels until I was older and looking back at it.

Reality just feels so surreal atm. I read a book a few months ago, "That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis, and if you know the man you know that all his writings have strong Christian leanings, and this is no exception. It's about a weirdly powerful secret society that is searching for the tomb of Merlin in order to exploit his ancient magical power and take over the world. That's just the last step of the plan, the group itself is a clear parallel to the Nazis (and seeing as the book was written in 1945, there's no doubt.) and like the Nazis they run disinformation campaigns, have a personal police force that engages in intimidation and extrajudicial killings, dubiously illegal land seizures... but my point is: at the climax of the story, we learn, of course, that they were all Satanists the whole time, being literally commanded by a disembodied head that was being used as the medium that their dark lord speaks to them through.

I was just reminded of this book, not just because of the clear parallels and the unnerving, utterly perplexing maliciousness of police which also mirrors characters in the book, but also because of that one "Photo Op" scandal just recently. Trump going way out of his way, ordering his guard, apropos nothing, to beat and tear gas the protesters that were in his way... just so he could go to the nearby church, throw the bishop out, and blaspheme against the Bible. It's just such a pointlessly stupid and anti-Christian, or perhaps anti-religious, thing to do...

Side track: was Nazi leadership's thing for the paranormal well known to its contemporary time? Because if not, that's quite the coincidence there CS
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10115 10116 [10117] 10118 10119 ... 10984