Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10141 10142 [10143] 10144 10145 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13181366 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152130 on: June 29, 2020, 02:56:54 pm »

Stop working and case massive economic and mental distress (which is a real thing), or keep working and have people die from the virus!

this just in: mass deaths don't cause economic or mental distress

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152131 on: June 29, 2020, 03:19:07 pm »

Not in the minds of CEOs or investors, at least

I walked into a residents room and saw some talking head on Fox news explaining how we should reopen all businesses because "99% of the deaths are people under the age of 25." Totally ignoring the fact that 99% of the people stuck in "essential" jobs that are also high risk are kids working cash registers/customer service. And also suggesting they're expendable and economically and socially unimportant. I don't even know this fucks name and I want to send him and his employer a big bubble full of virus in the mail.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 03:24:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152132 on: June 29, 2020, 04:13:48 pm »

Calling most of them "essential" is propaganda bullocks anyway.

You'd think someone so damn vital would get cut a fatter check or get actual benefits but nope.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #152133 on: June 29, 2020, 04:18:12 pm »

Hey, it's a real-life trolley car problem!

Stop working and case massive economic and mental distress (which is a real thing), or keep working and have people die from the virus!

They will have entire ethics courses about it!
economic and mental distress can eventually end,  but death won't.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152134 on: June 29, 2020, 04:19:48 pm »

The more important a job is, the less prestige it comes with. And the more prestige a job has, the less important it is.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152135 on: June 29, 2020, 04:30:05 pm »

The more important a job is, the less prestige it comes with. And the more prestige a job has, the less important it is.
Why is this true? Why don’t the more important jobs constantly get more prestige?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152136 on: June 29, 2020, 04:33:40 pm »

Why is this true? Why don’t the more important jobs constantly get more prestige?
Naeb’dy likes the scaffies, that’s why.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152137 on: June 29, 2020, 04:40:13 pm »

Because digging dirt is not glamorous.  Cleaning up chemicals is not fun.  Nobody cares how many shelves you've stocked, noone cares how many foundations you've dug, or water lines you've laid, or miles of electrical cables you've hung.  Necessary jobs are dirty, boring, and unpleasant, and very, very few people want to do them, but they are the foundation of everything.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #152138 on: June 29, 2020, 04:48:31 pm »

Not necessarily, consider how throughout history various cultures have placed health workers as a station of highest regard or lowest regard depending on who the health workers were selected from, e.g. educated gentry versus eunuchs & slaves

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152139 on: June 29, 2020, 06:12:23 pm »

It’s not really true. Generally speaking, the more intellectual the job, the more prestigious it is. Those positions can be important (the engineer is arguably more important than the men following his designs, in the sense that the latter are more easily replaced), but not necessarily of course. Similarly for leadership positions. This kind of makes sense because these positions come with significant influence and in some cases control over others. Having wealth is also prestigious, for similar reasons. So, in other words, if you’re in a position to get other people to do stuff for you, that’s pretty much the definition of prestige.

Edit: To put it another way, prestige is about power, not importance. Power is of course important in its own right, and importance can be a source of power, so the two are related, but only indirectly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:16:00 pm by thompson »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152140 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:32 pm »

It’s not really true. Generally speaking, the more intellectual the job, the more prestigious it is. Those positions can be important (the engineer is arguably more important than the men following his designs, in the sense that the latter are more easily replaced), but not necessarily of course. Similarly for leadership positions. This kind of makes sense because these positions come with significant influence and in some cases control over others. Having wealth is also prestigious, for similar reasons. So, in other words, if you’re in a position to get other people to do stuff for you, that’s pretty much the definition of prestige.

Edit: To put it another way, prestige is about power, not importance. Power is of course important in its own right, and importance can be a source of power, so the two are related, but only indirectly.
this makes sense

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152141 on: June 29, 2020, 07:56:05 pm »

Also importance is relative in time too. The general manager of a factory can go missing for up to several weeks or even months (depending on how well organized has things and the nature of the factory) but eventually it will be needed and the factory will stop unless the position is filled.

The guy pressing the buttons on the machine might be super replaceable but if he miss one turn the machine stops right there, hence why there would be other of such guys around just in case. If all of those guys don't do their work the whole operation halt to a grind.

Source: I have seen it myself.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:50:29 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152142 on: June 29, 2020, 08:00:40 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:49:17 am by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152143 on: June 29, 2020, 10:49:53 pm »

this makes sense

Reminds me of an off color joke my mom told me once.

The various parts of the body were engaged in some idle banter, about which part was the most important.

"Clearly, I am" said the brain. "Without me, none of you guys could coordinate your functions, and we would all starve to death."

"No, clearly it's me" said the skin. "Without me, we would be constantly battling diseases left and right, and would be leaking fluid like crazy."

"Speaking of diseases--" said the bone marrow "Without me, you guys would be sitting ducks. I crank out whitecells like crazy when you lot screws up and catches something!"

Finally, it was the asshole's turn.

"Nope, I have it on perfect authority that I am the most important body part." it said.

All the other body parts skoffed-- The very nerve of the guy, suggesting that a tiny muscle was the most important body part.

"Oh? Then I shall prove it!" asserted the asshole, as he puckered up tight.

At first nothing seemed amiss, but then 2 days later, the whole body was in an uproar.  There was feces backed up a mile, the immune system was on high alert, the skin was flushed and dry, and the brain was drowning in stress hormones.

"Without me, No shit gets done." asserted the asshole.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #152144 on: June 30, 2020, 01:11:30 am »

this makes sense

Reminds me of an off color joke my mom told me once.

The various parts of the body were engaged in some idle banter, about which part was the most important.

"Clearly, I am" said the brain. "Without me, none of you guys could coordinate your functions, and we would all starve to death."

"No, clearly it's me" said the skin. "Without me, we would be constantly battling diseases left and right, and would be leaking fluid like crazy."

"Speaking of diseases--" said the bone marrow "Without me, you guys would be sitting ducks. I crank out whitecells like crazy when you lot screws up and catches something!"

Finally, it was the asshole's turn.

"Nope, I have it on perfect authority that I am the most important body part." it said.

All the other body parts skoffed-- The very nerve of the guy, suggesting that a tiny muscle was the most important body part.

"Oh? Then I shall prove it!" asserted the asshole, as he puckered up tight.

At first nothing seemed amiss, but then 2 days later, the whole body was in an uproar.  There was feces backed up a mile, the immune system was on high alert, the skin was flushed and dry, and the brain was drowning in stress hormones.

"Without me, No shit gets done." asserted the asshole.

The moral of the story is that you don't need a brain or a heart to be in charge, any asshole will do
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 10141 10142 [10143] 10144 10145 ... 10983