Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10150 10151 [10152] 10153 10154 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167801 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152265 on: July 12, 2020, 11:23:37 pm »

Ethical to genocide them in order to reduce overall suffering?
The fuck kinda question is that? They're sapient right? This means they are above all nonsapient life, no questions asked. Let them eat meat. I don't care if food animals suffer. I care when sapients suffer. Yes there will be more suffering overall if we let them live and all switch to veganism, but reducing nonsapient suffering simply doesn't matter.

This is why I am not a vegan. I intentionally eat as much meat as possible without health problems. I took the "pledge" on PETA's website just so I could violate it. I once printed PETA's flag and then burned it in the same pile as Soviet and Nazi flags.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:27:48 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152266 on: July 12, 2020, 11:32:50 pm »

Ah, then if sapience is such a hard cutoff for you, let's hear you define it, hmm?~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152267 on: July 12, 2020, 11:33:49 pm »

(ninja'd)
That's a matter of being able to define sapience (see the AI rights thread) and then the implication that there's something wrong with eating meat from sapients.  The actual atrocity is farming sapients in poor conditions, right?  I believe we're doing that right now on a factory scale.  Pigs in particular are as anthropomorphic as cats and dogs, we just don't see them as having emotions and affection because they live and die far from our plates.

Edit: In response to Max's edit - I mean, PETA is pretty shit, though I haven't tried eating meat just to spite them
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:37:21 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152268 on: July 12, 2020, 11:35:23 pm »

The ending of Far Cry 5 made me WTF today.  The big choice was somehow even more ridiculous than the one in Far Cry 3, and fucking none of what happened made sense.  I was hoping for any sort of closure, not...

I did like how it sorta referenced the vastly superior ending of Far Cry 2.

(Fun game though, and it runs better than 3 while looking much better!  But the story, fuck...)

Far Cry 4 is the best.  You do literally nothing, then you win.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152269 on: July 12, 2020, 11:35:44 pm »

Ah, then if sapience is such a hard cutoff for you, let's hear you define it, hmm?~
Fully intellectually mature adults of the species have a similar or greater intelligence to average intellectually adult humans. Dolphins and certain apes arguably count. Pigs don't.

Also cats and dogs aren't sapient. But their suffering still matters because humans are easily attached to them, thus killing or harming them mentally harms humans. Dogs are also useful. Also, killing or torturing even non-sapient animals for literally no reason is fucked up. It shows that you get off to suffering.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:40:57 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152270 on: July 12, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »

I'd be hard pressed to choose between Far Cry 2 and 4 as best.  And I *love* 3, particularly its massive co-op campaign.  The mechanics evolved from 2-5 but 4 and 5 are maybe a little too generous with the powers.

5 looks beautiful and runs smoothly on my old hardware and I have to respect that, and the world feels more open than ever.  The mood even feels good, there are so many NPCs providing color.  And the allies, oh my gosh, they really did take the best part from 2!  My only real gripe is the main plot, and feeling a bit too much like a superhero.

Edit:  You're a superhero until the plot demands you get captured - which happens at EVERY major plot point, to a truly ridiculous degree.  They almost did it well - enemies do arrive to capture you, mostly wherever you happen to be, they just have plot-ammo.  It could have been better:  Increasing waves of enemies until you're finally overwhelmed.  Let me fight against the plot progression, don't just dart me while I'm stuck in dialogue with a quest NPC.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:46:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152271 on: July 12, 2020, 11:45:26 pm »

Defining sapience just off of humans is problematic to me, especially if you're using that as a hard cutoff, below which you literally don't care about their suffering at all. What makes us special? There's nothing in particular, we just happen to have quite large brains and developed a lot of things as a result. There's no reason to believe that we're the most intelligent possible animal, or that anything below us is fundamentally different.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152272 on: July 12, 2020, 11:46:04 pm »

The ending of Far Cry 5 made me WTF today.  The big choice was somehow even more ridiculous than the one in Far Cry 3, and fucking none of what happened made sense.  I was hoping for any sort of closure, not...

I did like how it sorta referenced the vastly superior ending of Far Cry 2.

(Fun game though, and it runs better than 3 while looking much better!  But the story, fuck...)

Far Cry 4 is the best.  You do literally nothing, then you win.
Pretty short game, though.

I liked the first one, with its derpy level editor and split-screen multiplayer.   

Edit: am I having a stroke or is Egan making some really good points?   
Suffering is suffering, even if the creature doing the suffering isn't "advanced" enough to post on social media about their problems.   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:49:30 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152273 on: July 12, 2020, 11:49:07 pm »

Defining sapience just off of humans is problematic to me, especially if you're using that as a hard cutoff, below which you literally don't care about their suffering at all. What makes us special? There's nothing in particular, we just happen to have quite large brains and developed a lot of things as a result. There's no reason to believe that we're the most intelligent possible animal, or that anything below us is fundamentally different.
I firmly believe in "humanity first". I believe the ultimate goal of humanity is to first put as much of Earth's nature under control (don't destroy it), then spread to other planets and colonize them, then repeat. Caring much about nonsapients kind of goes in the way of that. We are the most advanced animal on Earth, thus we are superior to every other Earth species.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152274 on: July 12, 2020, 11:50:38 pm »

Wait, so... black text means that was intentionally nonsensical, right? Thank the gods.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152275 on: July 12, 2020, 11:52:00 pm »

It also implies distasteful things about humans who deviate from the norm.  Should we judge them worthy of eating us or being eaten?  I think most people would disagree, which I think reveals a fault in that justification.
She/they

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152276 on: July 12, 2020, 11:54:14 pm »

Wait, so... black text means that was intentionally nonsensical, right? Thank the gods.   
I guess you really don't want to argue then. Same for me, to be honest.

And no, I really do believe that.

It also implies distasteful things about humans who deviate from the norm.  Should we judge them worthy of eating us or being eaten?  I think most people would disagree, which I think reveals a fault in that justification.
Sapience applies to the entire species, as I implied before with "average". Thus humans who intellectually deviate from the norm still shouldn't be eaten.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #152277 on: July 12, 2020, 11:56:32 pm »

This... is an interesting argument. As for myself, I try to keep somewhat of a balance between meat and vegetables (because it's more healthy that way). I don't really see the appeal in being vegan.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152278 on: July 13, 2020, 12:00:24 am »

[INSERT INCREDIBLY TASTELESS "EAT YOUR VEGETABLES" JOKE HERE]   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152279 on: July 13, 2020, 12:02:28 am »

This... is an interesting argument. As for myself, I try to keep somewhat of a balance between meat and vegetables (because it's more healthy that way). I don't really see the appeal in being vegan.
Same.  I think many people today over-consume meat due to the machinations of corporations and the market.  I am opposed to the conditions in factory farms.  I don't think it's wrong to kill and eat animals, just the systemic horror we visit on them.  This is why I hate my love of cheese - dairy cows are abused just as meat animals are.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 10150 10151 [10152] 10153 10154 ... 10983