Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10151 10152 [10153] 10154 10155 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172134 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152280 on: July 13, 2020, 12:03:10 am »

If sapient life is what matters, than the health of Earth's life is dramatically more important than humanity specifically. Earth has produced at least one sapient species, and in the likelihood that we exterminate ourselves instead of reaching the stars we ought to ensure we do not damage Earth in a way that it cannot produce another sapient species to take a shot at it. This could be the only lifebearing planet to create sapient creatures in the entire universe! Ergo, caring for life and especially for nonsapient megafauna is important.

Hard anthropocentrism doesn't work in a secular worldview. Humans specifically have little special about us once you assess the value of sapience separately, unless one thinks God exists and endorses us specifically.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152281 on: July 13, 2020, 12:07:12 am »

Defining sapience just off of humans is problematic to me, especially if you're using that as a hard cutoff, below which you literally don't care about their suffering at all. What makes us special? There's nothing in particular, we just happen to have quite large brains and developed a lot of things as a result. There's no reason to believe that we're the most intelligent possible animal, or that anything below us is fundamentally different.
I firmly believe in "humanity first". I believe the ultimate goal of humanity is to first put as much of Earth's nature under control (don't destroy it), then spread to other planets and colonize them, then repeat. Caring much about nonsapients kind of goes in the way of that. We are the most advanced animal on Earth, thus we are superior to every other Earth species.
I actually have a similar philosophy.

Because if we try to limit ourselves to not harming sapients. Partly because we can't just arbitrarily decide something is or is not sapient. We would need to have a way to truly communicate with them, or prove the impossibility of it to know for sure. For example, it is possible that wolves are. They might have culture. We would just not know it.

So adhering to the "no hurting sapients" rule would harm humans. A lot. What if mice are sapient? But they are also actively harmful.
Flies probably are not sapient, but ant colonies could be.
To truly obey such a rule, we would have to refrain from harming anything that we do not know for sure is not sapient. Otherwise we could be harming a sapient creature for what it is.

So yes, we should care about two things:
A) Do not harm and prevent harm to those we care about.
B) Do not do unnescessary harm to anyone else.

(And because of The Golden Rule, harming humans for short term gain is usually harmful to us as well, be it from legal punishment, or setting a bad precedens.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152282 on: July 13, 2020, 12:08:44 am »

I firmly believe in "humanity first". I believe the ultimate goal of humanity is to first put as much of Earth's nature under control (don't destroy it), then spread to other planets and colonize them, then repeat. Caring much about nonsapients kind of goes in the way of that. We are the most advanced animal on Earth, thus we are superior to every other Earth species.

But you didn't say "humans" earlier, you said "sapients". It's a little easier to defend only caring about humans, you just gotta point out that humans is us, and we like us. Or maybe say that your book says god made animals to be machines which are deliciously consumed by his real creation or something.
I still hate either perspective though.

Edit: am I having a stroke or is Egan making some really good points?

Look, he made a veiled insult! How nice~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #152283 on: July 13, 2020, 12:11:45 am »

If sapient life is what matters, than the health of Earth's life is dramatically more important than humanity specifically. Earth has produced at least one sapient species, and in the likelihood that we exterminate ourselves instead of reaching the stars we ought to ensure we do not damage Earth in a way that it cannot produce another sapient species to take a shot at it. This could be the only lifebearing planet to create sapient creatures in the entire universe! Ergo, caring for life and especially for nonsapient megafauna is important.

Hard anthropocentrism doesn't work in a secular worldview. Humans specifically have little special about us once you assess the value of sapience separately, unless one thinks God exists and endorses us specifically.
Yes, damaging the environment just for funsies or whatever is idiotic. Plus many nonsapient species are useful to humanity. I mostly agree with you (preventing making Earth uninhabitable so if we all die someone else might rise), except for...
This could be the only lifebearing planet to create sapient creatures in the entire universe!
With how incomprehensibly large the Universe is... this doesn't seem particularly likely to be true.

But you didn't say "humans" earlier, you said "sapients". It's a little easier to defend only caring about humans, you just gotta point out that humans is us, and we like us. Or maybe say that your book says god made animals to be machines which are deliciously consumed by his real creation or something.
I still hate either perspective though.
Humans are the only species we *know* to be fully sapient (though there are other candidates), this is why I said that instead of "sapience first". If we found aliens then we should treat them basically the same as humans.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #152284 on: July 13, 2020, 12:14:49 am »

Pedantic ramblings
Musings of vague concepts
Boredom soon follows
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #152285 on: July 13, 2020, 12:31:27 am »

Honestly even the most heated debates here are somewhat intelligent. Unlike many other forums where it descends to calling the other side idiots and/or Nazis...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152286 on: July 13, 2020, 12:39:57 am »

Can those really be called debates?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #152287 on: July 13, 2020, 12:46:52 am »

Tempers burn as suns
Hot words run across the web
Godwin soon ensues
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152288 on: July 13, 2020, 12:51:10 am »

X or Y or Z
One is true but which is it?
Back pats all around.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152289 on: July 13, 2020, 12:52:16 am »

For sure it's Y, because it's in the middle~

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152290 on: July 13, 2020, 01:06:40 am »

In this day and age centrists are not allowed though. So it's either X or Z.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152291 on: July 13, 2020, 01:07:23 am »

this is literally the era of centrist politics what
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #152292 on: July 13, 2020, 01:37:20 am »

and that's why we're angry at them :p

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152293 on: July 13, 2020, 03:06:23 am »

If this is the age of centrist politics then why do people and parties keep sliding towards extremes? The age of the centrist is over. The time of orcs have begun!
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #152294 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:49 am »

i feel like the word centrist is being used in different contexts most of the time, and is being defined differently.

There is nothing centrist about most of american politics.  Being a centrist within a party is still drifting significantly right or left compared to 20-30 years ago.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10151 10152 [10153] 10154 10155 ... 10983