Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10180 10181 [10182] 10183 10184 ... 10245

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 7523545 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Pathos alt
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152715 on: August 08, 2020, 12:00:38 am »

Many people would be nervous if random people could find their address. Amusingly, they probably can regardless in a majority of cases. Why? Property tax information is public information, and often of course will include your residence. For Alabama and Mississippi I know it's searchable, and I assume other states provide similar services.

I found out all this today, and have spent the evening finding out my friends' addresses, a moot pursuit and non-creepy, since I know them already, but still interesting.

WTF as I was surprised at this glut of information, given people are naturally disinclined to give out their addresses, but it turns out their care may be moot.

Also since I don't think we have a "part of me thinks that's cool but also that's mildly creepy" thread.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:05:47 am by Eschar »
"Continue struggling, laws of physics be darned."
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152716 on: August 08, 2020, 12:25:24 am »

with the way Facebook n co hold info on basically everyone, apparently the path to acquiring people's personal information is just to ask them nicely.  Or sell them a smartphone.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Pathos alt
    • View Profile
« Reply #152717 on: August 08, 2020, 12:40:15 am »

Right, but individuals don't have the resources of a company to acquire personal info. Which is why the property tax route I mentioned goes in this thread.
 - NRDL
"What, are you stupid or something? Every one of the snake's bones is crushed! Its internal organs are torn apart! There is no way you can - (6) You resuscitate the snake."
- Gatleos

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152718 on: August 08, 2020, 04:31:38 am »

with the way Facebook n co hold info on basically everyone, apparently the path to acquiring people's personal information is just to ask them nicely.  Or sell them a smartphone.

Giving over your information is actually the price people are willing to pay for the service. Willing in the sense that most people are aware that Facebook collects your information yet they still use Facebook. So it's nothing like just asking nicely, it's giving people toys (or a needed communication channel for some), and saying that if you don't abide by the rules (which implicitly include the data collection) then you can't play with their toys anymore.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #152719 on: August 08, 2020, 06:44:41 am »

Itís that kind of thing that makes me wonder why people still think conspiracies that the government want to implant chips in people to track them hold any water. Smartphones all have GPS, and private companies have your information and the ability to analyze it to know a great deal of shit about you.

Through myy phone, Apple knows where I work and live, how often I go shopping and any other number of things because I have it with me a lot. Google knows what games I play, what Iím interested in generally and most recently. Facebook knows who my immediate and extended family are, who I went to school with, where I went to school and the area where I grew up.

The government legitimately donít need to do anything to track me or influence me; pay the companies some fees and they can target ads directly at me. All this conspiracy bullshit is way too much effort when they can pay someone else to do it for them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152720 on: August 08, 2020, 07:39:40 am »

And if they implanted their super chips into you they'd know all of that, but more securely, because you can put away your phone but you can put away your shoulder blade
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152721 on: August 08, 2020, 07:52:39 am »

Being able to put your phone away is literally a privilege now.
They/them
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152722 on: August 08, 2020, 08:03:15 am »

That's irrelevant. Whether a simple choice or a privilege the super chip removes the option for everyone.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152723 on: August 08, 2020, 08:09:55 am »

Tinfoil clothes will become the new fashion!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152724 on: August 08, 2020, 08:13:06 am »

But do I put the dull side in our out?!?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152725 on: August 08, 2020, 08:17:36 am »

I donít know!

Wait!

Two layers!

One with the shiny side out, the other with the dull side out!

Foolproof!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #152726 on: August 08, 2020, 08:20:10 am »

Yeah, that whole data-mining situation just makes me glad I never bothered with social media and still use a burner flip-phone. Doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152727 on: August 08, 2020, 08:23:20 am »

I donít know!

Wait!

Two layers!

One with the shiny side out, the other with the dull side out!

Foolproof!

Better idea!

Quantum tinfoil!

Itís shiny and dull at the same time!

Yeah, that whole data-mining situation just makes me glad I never bothered with social media and still use a burner flip-phone. Doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something.

I would probably not have Facebook if I didnít live on a different continent from the rest of my family.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a Pathos alt
    • View Profile
« Reply #152728 on: August 08, 2020, 08:47:29 am »

At least Toady isn't mining our forum posts for nefarious purposes.

Right?

Of course forums are a bit resistant to that because there are less structured ways of indicating locations, relationships etc. For example a Facebook post has fields for location, as do profile pages. You can like posts etc. allowing Facebook to analyze how much you interact (sorta) with people you might know. Same with Facebook friends. The forum has less such fields, many people don't put their location in the location field - or at least not their address like on FB - and so the majority of data would have to be extracted from the text of posts themselves, with some sort of NLP. And that's an entirely different kettle of programming worms, one that Toady and the SMF people simply have no interest in... as far as I know.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:00:23 am by Eschar »
 - NRDL
- Gatleos

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #152729 on: August 08, 2020, 08:50:32 am »

-snip-
You can pretty much expect your ISP to be strip mining your activity here, though, given the lack of HTTPS.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 10180 10181 [10182] 10183 10184 ... 10245