Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10193 10194 [10195] 10196 10197 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13207434 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #152910 on: August 16, 2020, 04:34:59 am »

To give you an idea here's some of the promo art:

They're ghastly and the art style is kind of all over the shop. This is what I mean by the creatives in this process seem like an afterthought.

That Human Guy character, he's really distinctive in how distinctively he's portraying "generic human guy".

And that super-complex gun on the left has the distinct feeling of something a student animator at a games college put out in their demo reel, rather than something a professional lead artist would approve in a game. More dangly bits doesn't make it a better gun design, aesthetically.

Meanwhile you can google Overwatch or Fortnite promo art and the styles are far more integrated.

And remember this is the game that one of the biggest corporations is telling you is going to be your new favorite game on Twitch.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:43:29 am by Reelya »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #152911 on: August 16, 2020, 04:42:47 am »

Christ! I spent a file looking at the bottom half of that gun tryimg to parse it as a 5th character...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152912 on: August 16, 2020, 04:44:39 am »

BTW the game is called Crucible, and the launch went so well, that it wrapped all the way around to them un-launching it a few weeks later and pushing it back into closed beta! It turned out to be too good for us mere normies to cope with, so they have to rework it for us regular folks who aren't gaming elite.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21308638/amazon-game-studios-crucible-closed-beta-failure-relentless-studio

It also suffered from a bit of an identity crisis by trying to be a bit of everything at once: a hero shooter, a battle royale, and a MOBA.

Do you like pizza? Do you like lobster? Do you like chocolate? Then you'll love new chocolate pizza lobsters!

Last month, Relentless ditched the game’s more peripheral battle royale and team deathmatch modes to focus solely on the game’s MOBA-inspired Heart of the Hives mode.

That's like saying that Doom wasn't really working so ID software ditched the whole 'demons from hell' concept. If you have a battle royale, team deathmatch and MOBA fusion and you can just remove the first two elements entirely, anyone could have told you that's a trainwreck from the start. Just have one mode and do that fucking really well, otherwise it's just watered down shit almost by definition. A game that *can* be any of those things just by pushing a button cannot have a strong emphasis on any one of them, so is guaranteed to suck.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:12:01 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152913 on: August 16, 2020, 04:59:13 am »

May I ask what AWS is?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152914 on: August 16, 2020, 05:00:41 am »

It's Amazon Web Services, it's a paid back-end usually for ecommerce websites and stuff. So in other words they built an entire game on top of the least sexy possible technology on the planet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:03:37 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #152915 on: August 16, 2020, 05:01:23 am »

Ah, I see! Thanks.
Love, scriver~

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152916 on: August 16, 2020, 05:03:26 am »

It looks like a really generic sci-fi shooter, you know the kind of cheep crap you get form the bargain bin.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #152917 on: August 16, 2020, 05:11:30 am »

Brute Force

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152918 on: August 16, 2020, 05:20:15 am »

The entire reason why it made a splash was Amazon pumping stupid amounts of money into marketing it, trough Twitch especially, the moment the sponsored deals stopped people just stopped playing it. Goes to show that no matter how you polish or market it, a turd is still a turd :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #152919 on: August 16, 2020, 05:28:19 am »

According to leaks the actual Intel Graphics Twitter account, Intel will be releasing their overclockable K-series processors (i9-10900K, i7-10700K, i5-10600K) in limited-edition Avengers packaging.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15981/intel-brand-tieins-new-avengers-packaging-gives-you-a-new-box-to-play-with

This really does sound like the worst possible place to do a tie-in. Like, high-end processors are a market dominated by people who care deeply about price-to-performance. What person is simultaneously a) an enthusiast, the kind that would care about overclocking, and is b) somehow swayed by limited-edition stuff, which by virtue of being limited-edition, is more expensive than the already expensive standard one? Keep in mind, there's no functional difference between the limited-edition and the standard one. Same number of cores, same clock speed, same features, same architecture, it's literally the same thing, but you get a fancy box.

Who is this for? Processor collectors? Marvel collectors? People with a compulsive need to spend money? What market is this meant to appeal to?

Edit: Misread the article.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:05:26 am by methylatedspirit »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152920 on: August 16, 2020, 05:47:27 am »

Isn't it also just packaging?

That kind of stuff works the best if you have either a consumable / impulse purchase such as green twisties, but they've got Shrek and/or Yoda packaging on them, or on the other end that you buy a mouse or something and it's green and it's got Shrek ears on it.

But getting a component that goes inside your PC for a long time then you've got this packaging just sitting around seems weird. I don't collect the boxes my motherboard or cooling fans came in, no matter how funky they make the box. I guess at best, this thing comes with an Intel Avengers sticker you can stick on your case, but as far as "case mods" go, a sticker seems underwhelming and tacky for a high-cost PC.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152921 on: August 16, 2020, 05:51:31 am »

They should make the heatspeader have a laser-etched image or something at least.  That way the processor itself is collectable.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152922 on: August 16, 2020, 06:07:26 am »

The entire reason why it made a splash was Amazon pumping stupid amounts of money into marketing it, trough Twitch especially, the moment the sponsored deals stopped people just stopped playing it. Goes to show that no matter how you polish or market it, a turd is still a turd :V

Amazon wants a foothold in games, right, you know something they could have done with all that money that wouldn't have sucked and just pour it down the drain would have been buying a stake in Telltale Games.

Amazon's deep pockets and their online platform would have been a good match for the episodic games model. They don't need an in-house games division as much as they need a stable of developers providing good content people actually want. And games companies such as Telltale come up as a bargain all the fucking time.

However the reason they're not doing this is that they're greedy and want to cut the middle-man out. The same thing happened with movie studios, there have been a number of attempts to make in-house games by various studios over the years, but they almost inevitably fall back into the licensing/outsourcing model after a few years and/or sell off their games division to someone else. This has included Universal, Paramount, Warner Bros (the most successful attempt), Disney, even Pixar tried to mint some games in the early days. So they all think they're going to set up a games division and it's going to be great, and almost all come to the conclusion "well actually this is fucked" and revert to licensing.

The real core problem is that if you develop an in-house game as the publisher/platform then you're on the hook for the entire thing. You get all the profits if it succeeds but you reap all the losses if it fails. If you license it out instead then the risks are spread out. For example, TV networks are smart enough to outsource the making of TV shows to third-parties with contracts that favor the studio. They realized this is actually a better deal than trying to make all the shows themselves and the risks from developing shows that fail are spread around: only pay for the show ideas that look good: if you in-house the entire process you're paying someone by the hour to come up with ideas for shows, and they're going to mostly be stinkers, because of Sturgeon's Law. Coming up with good ideas doesn't fit well with an hourly-paid-employee model.

The only reason movie studios think they can pull this off with games is that they underestimate how hard it is to make a good game, seeing it as a commodity item, like a branded lunch box or something. So they bring everything in-house to try and undercut the market and/or in-house the profits, but they miss the fact that they don't get the economies of scale anymore. Sure, Ubisoft and EA take a big chunk of the profits, but they also have expertise from developing literally hundreds of games and spreading the technology costs among those. You get all the profits if you make it yourself but you need to have all that infrastructure too, and you're pretty much reinventing the wheel to do so.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:36:10 am by Reelya »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #152923 on: August 16, 2020, 09:55:36 am »

Wasn't there a Scott Pilgrim videogames?

And no, I'm not just talking about the movie itself :)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152924 on: August 16, 2020, 10:06:15 am »

Apparently there was.

And since movie makers can't make games it makes sense it's up to the game creators to make movies. What could go wrong?
Pages: 1 ... 10193 10194 [10195] 10196 10197 ... 10984