Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10216 10217 [10218] 10219 10220 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169015 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153255 on: August 24, 2020, 07:10:20 pm »

Even demolishing and building on the same site, using robots and utmost safety, there would be too much chance of dispersing radioactive stuff.

Stuff they can retrofit onto existing plants would be worth looking at however, since the plants are already there.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153256 on: August 24, 2020, 08:51:11 pm »

Edit: a new WTF. A passing mention of somebody named James Thomson in the book I'm reading, where he is described as "the ultimate pessimist-poet", led me to abandon the book for a moment to have a look for his work online. A couple hours later and I've been intensely trawling Goodreads, Abe Books and Amazon for a wide variety of weird and disturbing literature.   
My shopping cart on Abe Books currently sits at just shy of one-hundred and thirty US dollars. Uhhhhhh could somebody please confiscate my internet before I spend stupid amounts of money on books? Especially when I already have so very, very many books lying around that I need to read, a backlog I am forever adding to. I have a demonstrated lack of self-control when it comes to books. Uh oh.   
The first of the books I ordered have begun to trickle in. I think I ended up whittling the total down to like, $80 USD or something? Still far, far more than I ought to be spending on books, but enough to not bankrupt myself outright. Yay? I clicked the "save for later" option on the titles I culled, though, so who knows how long before I'm seized by another fit of acquisitiveness and go back for 'em.

First cab off the rank is Apocalypse Culture, a weird collection of essays from kooky folks and/or outright lunatics from the '80s that is sometimes regarded as some sort of counter-culture classic. I don't know, I just expect some truly fucked-up reading to have a laugh and kill off brain cells with.   

Accompanying WTF: the seller I bought this from (through Abe Books) sent me a really nice little email as opposed to the usual automated message from Abe Books, saying they were about to send my order, hoped I enjoyed it, and hoped they could be of further assistance in future. No idea if they send that verbatim to everyone they sell to, but I thought it was kind of a nice touch. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153257 on: August 24, 2020, 08:59:47 pm »

Second, it sends you your password to your email. It sends your password. If you don't know, this is an incredibly bad sign. It means that they're storing your unencrypted password on their database. Warning bells should be going off right now. Since I apparently don't have a choice in the matter, I put my email in, and... the password is literally my ID card number. Really? They're not even trying now.

If they sent you a password you put in then that's a bad sign.

If they sent you an auto-generated password that's temporary, that's normal. It does not in fact indicate that they're storing a plaintext password in the database. Since you said it's your ID number ... that's information they already know without actually needing to extract anything from the database.

It's the same with password resets. These usually set your password either to a random string or to a default password, then they email you what they set. This process doesn't actually require the password to be stored in plaintext in the database, and it in fact indicates they couldn't read your old password to send that, so they have to overwrite it.

What's the alternative here? It's that they email you a password reset link that includes a token. This is in fact no more secure than just generating a new password, changing the password, then sending you that password. If someone could intercept the password, they could just as easily intercept the password reset link. It could even be less secure. If you click a password-reset link then the entire URL request is sent in plain text to be resolved by the DNS system, and theoretically a bad actor could harvest that link, block it then take over your account.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:27:35 pm by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153258 on: August 24, 2020, 11:06:07 pm »

Part of it is proliferation issues - the US (and other reactor-using nations) does not want civilians to have access to fissionables that could be used to make bombs, no matter how trustworthy those civilians are. If nothing else, there is the risk of "indigenous resistance fighters" attacking a shipment to a disposal facility and making off with bomb-making material to sell on the international black market.
Yes, but it's important to keep in mind that this is already possible and hasn't happened yet, and, like, there is a 100% chance North Korea would already sell you plutonium if you asked. Probably cheap, too.

What's the alternative here? It's that they email you a password reset link that includes a token. This is in fact no more secure than just generating a new password, changing the password, then sending you that password. If someone could intercept the password, they could just as easily intercept the password reset link. It could even be less secure. If you click a password-reset link then the entire URL request is sent in plain text to be resolved by the DNS system, and theoretically a bad actor could harvest that link, block it then take over your account.
There's a pretty high probability that your email was sent unencrypted over a compromised connection anyway.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153259 on: August 24, 2020, 11:08:39 pm »

First cab off the rank is Apocalypse Culture, a weird collection of essays from kooky folks and/or outright lunatics from the '80s that is sometimes regarded as some sort of counter-culture classic. I don't know, I just expect some truly fucked-up reading to have a laugh and kill off brain cells with.   

Sounds pretty interesting. Maybe there’ll be something eye-opening in all the madness.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153260 on: August 24, 2020, 11:19:19 pm »

There's a pretty high probability that your email was sent unencrypted over a compromised connection anyway.

That just means the whole using email as the unlock mechanism for accounts of every type is not secure.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153261 on: August 24, 2020, 11:22:16 pm »

That just means the whole using email as the unlock mechanism for accounts of every type is not secure.
Yes, it's really bad and terrible.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153262 on: August 24, 2020, 11:26:14 pm »

It would be fine if the user set up GPG, and got a public key from the service, delivered via the browser in an appropriate HTTPS session. 

The emails would then be sent in an encrypted form, would have digital signature verification of the sender, etc.

But nope. Nobody wants to implement that on email except nerds. (raises hand-- uses GPG on email.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153263 on: August 25, 2020, 02:15:13 am »

I think I've discovered the new Gene Ray

https://mobile.twitter.com/alfastring
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153264 on: August 25, 2020, 02:44:27 am »

I think he has been eating too many LSD laced (magic) mushroom pizza slices.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153265 on: August 25, 2020, 03:01:24 am »

Yeah pretty much. Also note that nobody could even be bothered to reply to him even to tell him he's wrong.

Ooh he's got a testimonial quote on his website:

“Einstein bent the space, Ferent unbent the space” Adrian Ferent

So he's quoted himself as supporting himself.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:03:39 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153266 on: August 25, 2020, 03:09:06 am »

Yeah... I noticed how he seems to have this problem with finding PEERS to review his work... (ahem)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153267 on: August 25, 2020, 03:31:53 am »

I especially like where he defines morality as a quotient of summed levels of evolution.

I have no idea what that means. I do like his theorem naming conventions though - simple and  consistent.
One wheel short of a wagon

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153268 on: August 25, 2020, 04:02:24 am »

“Einstein bent the space, Ferent unbent the space” Adrian Ferent

So he's quoted himself as supporting himself.

Over and over. I love it
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153269 on: August 25, 2020, 04:09:17 am »

Still liking Bruce Cathie however

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:10:55 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 10216 10217 [10218] 10219 10220 ... 10983