Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10218 10219 [10220] 10221 10222 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997842 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153285 on: August 25, 2020, 07:50:00 am »

What if they wanna charge taxes on pi units, or lift raise limit of the speed of light in their state?
The first would de incentivize precision, the second is physically impossible
I mean, you can raise the limit of the speed of light all you want, actually? Anyone can say light can go faster than it does. It's just not going to make light actually go any faster.

Raising the speed limit to 20,000 miles per hour wouldn't make people drive that fast, either ('cause they, y'know, can't). Same concept.
Raising the speed limit above that which something can go sounds useless

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153286 on: August 25, 2020, 07:53:49 am »

well, to make them more like circles but not quite, go with more sides, so dodecahedron or higher
Well that would really confuse them, since a dodecahedron is a 3D object... ;D

What you want is a megagon.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153287 on: August 25, 2020, 07:56:14 am »

Raising the speed limit above that which something can go sounds useless.
Even less helpful than tits on a boar hog, sure.

Or in other words, something you wouldn't be surprised to come out of Indiana legislature :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153288 on: August 25, 2020, 07:58:38 am »

Eerie Indiana after all?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153289 on: August 25, 2020, 08:03:09 am »

well, to make them more like circles but not quite, go with more sides, so dodecahedron or higher
Well that would really confuse them, since a dodecahedron is a 3D object... ;D

What you want is a megagon.

Not really, the goal here is to minimize the perimeter vs the diameter. Squares are obviously bad here, since if the diameter is 1 then the perimeter is 4 ('pi' of 4 for square wheels) and as you add more sides then pi approaches normal pi. however if you have hexagonal wheels then measure the diameter when sitting flat, you get pi=3, a good saving.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:05:14 am by Reelya »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153290 on: August 25, 2020, 11:36:25 am »

That should not matter.
Mathematical laws and laws of physics should not be in legislative anyway.
It is pointless for them to be there (as they enforce themselves), and if our observation of them is wrong, then such human laws would make anyone correcting such observation a lawbreaker.
Legislature shouldn’t be trying to change how math works, their job is (should be) to make life better for the citizens
Again, they weren't in any way doing either of those things. They were just trying to adjust the state math curriculum, which is wholly within their purview as a state legislative body. The only problem is that they did not have enough math education to realise that the texts they were trying to make students study were the lunatic ravings of a madman.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153291 on: August 25, 2020, 11:50:23 am »

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/apple-apologizes-to-wordpress-no-longer-requires-free-app-to-add-purchases/

So Wordpress has a domain/hosting selling business, and they also have a free app for managing your Wordpress account (which is free btw). Apple decided this was no good and blocked the free app and demanded they set up in-app purchases of Wordpress's domains/hosting (so that Apple could get a 30% cut). But if Wordpress actually gave in to that, then if they sold any domains or hosting directly to customers they'd technically be breaching Apple's terms of service - see the Fortnite ban recently for how that works.

So, good precedent there. If you sell anything, and have a free app, no matter how tangential to what you're selling, then Apple might just block your app and demand you shift all your sales business onto their platform.

Apple apparently "realized they dun wrong" and reversed this decision, but I'm guessing it was more because of the huge amount of negative PR generated by the move.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:09:32 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153292 on: August 25, 2020, 09:58:49 pm »

I changed my forum layout to darkling, after... however many years I’vefrequented the lower boards.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153293 on: August 25, 2020, 10:01:48 pm »

Welcome, friend.  Your eyeballs will thank you.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153294 on: August 25, 2020, 10:12:35 pm »

I have my brightness set at . . . 30, to be fair.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #153295 on: August 25, 2020, 10:16:30 pm »

hisss, spoiler that, dayling!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153296 on: August 25, 2020, 10:37:07 pm »

I've been using darkling for nearly a decade now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153297 on: August 25, 2020, 11:34:57 pm »

Over one, here, I think. Pretty sure it was one of the first things I changed after making an account, because holy hell is it a quality of life improvement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153298 on: August 25, 2020, 11:50:04 pm »

There's some issues with the darker shades of colored text (unless people politely use the glow tag with a bright complimentary color), like this, (and with polite glow effect)

Otherwise, I totally agree. My retinas are much happier not being subjected to 100% white like that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153299 on: August 26, 2020, 12:05:41 am »

Gosh dang it.   

So, with Facebook threatening to force users to suffer its horrific new design that makes it more unpleasant to look at then ever, I looked into ways to revert to old versions of sites. Boom, I soon discovered the wonders of a user-agent switcher extension!   
The first one I tried was a dud, since it didn't allow for old versions of your browser of choice, but soon I had one that let me view sites as an old-ass version of IE, which spares you from a lot of terrible recent design choices.   

Suddenly, Yahoo and Facebook are both more palatable than they've been in a long time. Well, Yahoo's look hasn't changed back to the classic style, but at least it doesn't have a painful tendency to freeze up when switching between folders, pages, or even just refreshing the page.   
Speaking of refreshing, that'd be a good way to describe this whole trick in general... except that the extension I'm using doesn't have an option to affect only certain urls, and for whatever reason SMF seems to derp the hell out when viewed this way. *groan*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 10218 10219 [10220] 10221 10222 ... 10973