Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10221 10222 [10223] 10224 10225 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13147029 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153330 on: August 31, 2020, 12:01:12 pm »

Trust me, mctraveller, the price you save for a spec sheet not in English is good enough to justify the fumbling. Translatos are expensive, you don't need that markup.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153331 on: August 31, 2020, 12:12:09 pm »

Looks like streaming from a DSLR is either HDMI output (through an encoder), or composite output (through an encoder).

For the former, the pricetag will be prohibitive, for the latter, you might as well just get the 9$ 640x480 device (because composite video tops out at around 650x500 pixels.)

Unless you camera can feed directly to the computer as a USB WIA video capture mode, it would not be worth it to explore.  Your mileage may vary.

I really would suggest just hitting ebay.  Really.  Even some of those really old things from the 1990s (driver appears to be VFW...) that look like things from Hackers the movie, would be adequate for the task, assuming they use a suitably modern capture API. (VFW is getting a bit long in the tooth; almost everything modern will be WIA.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:30:25 pm by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153332 on: August 31, 2020, 12:33:18 pm »

I started my new job. Right at the start they told me they're hiring me for six months but they might need me for longer. But they also might run out of money sooner than that so anything goes

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153333 on: August 31, 2020, 12:34:56 pm »

Well, you can always stay busy by getting out some disinfecting wipes.  Given the circumstances, you cant have frequently touched surfaces be too clean.  Until they give you something better to do, it's at least still a useful function. Will let you get to know the poor bottom rung people on a personal level while you await proper integration.  (the bottom rung people know all the gossip. It might be good to better understand the local bullshit comings and goings, before it can be sprung on you by those holding long knives.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153334 on: August 31, 2020, 12:37:04 pm »

I wonder speciay about the run out of money option. Will they furlough me until they get more money? Pay me in IOUs? Maybe declare I'm now indentured property of the hospital and chain me inside a clinic?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153335 on: August 31, 2020, 12:39:50 pm »

You never know, especially if there is another "National health emergency!!" like happened in Feb/Mar.

(By that I mean, "Whole goddamn hospital overworked, public health fund money is fully exhausted, but endless patients 2 deep in the corridor-- all hands on deck, all the time, no vacations, no leave, and no pay. Govt says do it or else.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:45:14 pm by wierd »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153336 on: August 31, 2020, 12:44:37 pm »

Does one's hypocratic oath require them to work in such conditions as being underpaid or even having payment delayed during an emergency?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153337 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:28 pm »

Do you want a proper answer to that, or a cheeky answer to that?

Fuck it, I will give both.

Proper answer:  The Hippocratic oath itself does not really make a statement about requiring pay, only that you will not cause harm to the patient. (and in the original version, wont do certain kinds of procedures, and wont instruct non-oath physicians.  For clarity, when it was first introduced, the school of hippocrates was trying to distinguish itself from a fucking EPIDEMIC of faith healers, charlatans, and outright butchers literally fucking up patients worse off than they were before. A major source of this, was from botched up lens couching as a cataract fixing procedure. Improperly done, it blinds the patient, and requires very skilled and capable hands to do with the primitive tools of the age. It required an actual trained physician, but there were total charlatans fucking up eyes all over the place.  To discourage the further proliferation of such horror, the school of hippocrates insisted that all students be PROPERLY trained, that all students swear the oaths to never do harm to a patient, and never undertake a procedure they were not competent at to assure this, and to never give medical training to those who had not sworn these oaths. It further, for moralistic soapboxing reasons, prohibited dispensing of abortive preparations to pregnant women, and a number of other things.  For the most part though, it was to create a brand of integrity and trust in oath-swearing physicians, to fully hold them apart from the traveling charlatans going around fucking people up who were desperate.)

Cheeky assed answer:  The medical industry as a fucking whole, abuses the good nature, and desire to do good, of every worker, of every level.  If they could get you to work for free, they would demand you work for free.

While heavily biased toward US physicians and healthcare, it likely applies equally well to Eurozone physicians and staff as well.
https://www.thehappymd.com/blog/does-the-healthcare-industry-exploit-doctors

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:07:21 pm by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153338 on: August 31, 2020, 01:04:22 pm »

I dont really think they really will stop paying me mind you. I mostly think that, as usual when dealing with burocracy in the British isles, its slow and sloppy but the money will come. (Spanish burocracy by contrast is sloppy but faster. What *they* would probably do is put together a scheme to pay you less money. Firing you on Fridays and rehiring you on Mondays over and over is a classic.)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #153339 on: August 31, 2020, 02:09:27 pm »

I think you mean burrocracy - it occurs when the asses are stronk.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #153340 on: August 31, 2020, 06:09:53 pm »

As opposed the burritocracy which is generally enjoyable
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153341 on: August 31, 2020, 06:25:48 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:39:34 am by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153342 on: August 31, 2020, 06:33:50 pm »

There’s not a grain of truth in that, man.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153343 on: August 31, 2020, 06:37:31 pm »

The only burrito I know that doesnt have grain is Amy's
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153344 on: August 31, 2020, 06:48:50 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:39:39 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 10221 10222 [10223] 10224 10225 ... 10980