Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10236 10237 [10238] 10239 10240 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13175613 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153555 on: September 09, 2020, 03:37:27 am »

I have the urge to pace around a room, and for some reason, doing that pushes my brain into overdrive. Thoughts just flood into my head. It does annoy the people around me, so I probably can't do it everywhere. I'm somewhat annoyed by that, because I quite enjoy thinking, and anything that speeds it up in a controlled fashion is good.

In general, moving around (walking, cycling) seems to speed up and stabilize my brain. I don't know why, but at this point, I've pretty much accepted it as fact.
I spin in place to do the same thing, speed up thoughts. Obviously can’t do it everywhere so I make sure I’m alone before doing it

You spin yourself right round right round like a record baby right round round round
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #153556 on: September 09, 2020, 03:40:01 am »

I have the urge to pace around a room, and for some reason, doing that pushes my brain into overdrive. Thoughts just flood into my head. It does annoy the people around me, so I probably can't do it everywhere. I'm somewhat annoyed by that, because I quite enjoy thinking, and anything that speeds it up in a controlled fashion is good.

In general, moving around (walking, cycling) seems to speed up and stabilize my brain. I don't know why, but at this point, I've pretty much accepted it as fact.
I spin in place to do the same thing, speed up thoughts. Obviously can’t do it everywhere so I make sure I’m alone before doing it

You spin yourself right round right round like a record baby right round round round
HALP I SPUN IN THE WRONG WAY NOW MY BRAEN SLOW
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153557 on: September 09, 2020, 10:31:47 am »

Wait what. Where?
Nutflex.   

...Oops, said that in a Kiwi accent for some reason.   

Given how, uh, generic the fantasy setting of DD was, I won't expect a lot from the show.
Hey now, it... yeah, I guess you're right.  :-\ Hopefully the performances in the show are as wacky as some of the voice-acting in the game. That's probably what made it so charming to me. That and throwing hapless bystanders off cliffs to liven up a boring journey from A to B.   
Either way, I'll probably sit through the whole thing just to see if someone utters the line "You'll never hit them swinging blindly!" at any point. Even if the main character is named Ethan for some reason - no offence to any Ethans out there, it's just not the name I woulda gone with for the main character in my fantasy TV series, haha. Unless they're going for like, one of those... what's it called? The real world bleeding into a fantasy-one type setting? Like that book series about the depressed dude with leprosy? You know what I mean, it's a pretty overused trope at this point.   
Maybe they decided to throw that into the mix. Gods, I hope it doesn't get too creepy when this Ethan guy gets told to go nuts creating his "pawn". Ya know, it probably will.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:34:25 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153558 on: September 09, 2020, 03:19:44 pm »

The pawns I've seen, if there isn't a fat black midget with a booming voice with a hot pink afro and clown face paint, it's getting a 1 out of 5 stars from me.

The chimera better be pretty sick too. Those things were hard as balls the first few times you fight them.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153559 on: September 09, 2020, 05:06:07 pm »

Ugh, I can still see it pouncing on me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153560 on: September 09, 2020, 06:45:42 pm »

The Oscars are bringing in diversity quotas for all aspects of movie production to be eligible for Best Picture consideration. This is kind of silly. Quotas make everything worse, whether that's telling you to only hire men, or only hire women, or only hire white people or only hire black people. Or hire more people who's surnames begin with an "S". Anything that prevents you saying "well actually, that person is the specifically best person to hire" is going to have some impact on actual productivity. Quotas are a terrible solution to the actual problem.

Luckily the types of movies that win Best Picture are usually shitty "oscar bait" that the general viewing public don't actual like, so they can use these boring shitty movies to pretend to be Doing Somethingtm about the lack of diversity in the film industry, without risking losing any money. In fact there are so few black graduates from film schools and similar that the "oscar-bait" films will now soak up all the black talent perhaps even leaving the main money making franchise films where they know they're never winning "Best Picture" with even whiter workforces.

https://qz.com/quartzy/1220500/the-last-box-office-hit-to-win-the-best-picture-oscar-was-14-years-ago/
The last box office hit to win the best picture Oscar was 14 years ago
So they're mainly made as a vehicle to raise the prestige of the studios themselves. Which is why the quota idea, while bad, fundamentally doesn't matter. Oscar Bait already ticks a bunch of boxes in order to appeal to the biases and quirks of the Academy voters, resulting in actually worse films. Ticking a few more boxes luckily won't change much about that process, but might make movies even less people can actually relate to.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:00:01 pm by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153561 on: September 09, 2020, 06:55:43 pm »

I dont disagree, but the argument I usually hear is how the only way to begin equality is to force it until people magically feel like it isnt being forced any more.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153562 on: September 09, 2020, 07:02:18 pm »

I dont disagree, but the argument I usually hear is how the only way to begin equality is to force it until people magically feel like it isnt being forced any more.

In this case however I think they're doing it mainly to damp down on criticism they've been getting. Note the link I added, as of 2018 no Best Picture winner was a box office hit for the previous 14 years. It's almost like if they make any money someone made a mistake. Those movies exist as prestige projects (EDIT and possibly something to do with taxes or subsidies).

EDIT: One thing I think is relevant is how unstable film work is. Gig-based jobs tend to attract more male applicants in general. It's not very reliable work and you always need to be on the mooch for the next project. The games industry is filled with more younger men partly for this reason. It's really, really unstable work to base a life on. Also the music industry is like this. But the real giveaway is that of lone wolf game developers: how many female ones you ever heard of? Nobody handed Toady One a job, he just stuck at it for years DIYing the whole thing. You can rattle off dozens of male examples like this, how many female ones? Literally nobody is stopping them, and is not like if they made a game people wouldn't play it just because a woman made it.

For an example of this in the film industry, 39% of media executives are women yet they only make up about 15% of total people in film production. That's because most jobs working on films actually suck and there's no job security. Sure, more men end up as screenwriters etc. But what's the actual success rate for screenwriters vs failures? The whole deal is an all or nothing thing, it's a huge gamble getting into an industry like that.

Guys are just dumb like that. Nobody is keeping women out of the grunt work on film sets, it's just a shit job that nobody but men want to do. It's like being a roadie. Most roadies are men not because of gate-keeping but because being a roadie is, objectively, a job for loser wanna-be failed rock musicians and alcoholics.
https://nofilmschool.com/2016/02/Annenberg-Study-Reveals-Hollywod-Diversity-Failure
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:30:10 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153563 on: September 09, 2020, 07:27:39 pm »

Pretty sure Sorry To Bother You filled its fair share of quotas and it seemed like a good film, if maybe trying too hard to be weird (I should probably finish watching it on my own), but yeah, quotas are pretty silly.   

The pawns I've seen, if there isn't a fat black midget with a booming voice with a hot pink afro and clown face paint, it's getting a 1 out of 5 stars from me.

The chimera better be pretty sick too. Those things were hard as balls the first few times you fight them.
Gawd, I wanna fire up the PS3 and play this crazy damn game again.   
The whole "pawns go off to fight alongside other players" feature was cool as heck.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153564 on: September 09, 2020, 07:32:55 pm »

Yeah, Putnam and a couple other people played it on Steam, if you're steam friends you can easily find your friends pawns.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153565 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:26 pm »

Pretty sure Sorry To Bother You filled its fair share of quotas and it seemed like a good film, if maybe trying too hard to be weird (I should probably finish watching it on my own), but yeah, quotas are pretty silly.

But that's probably because they weren't setting out to fill any quotas.

Think of it this way: if you need to hire 10 people and you pick the best ones and 5 are male and 5 are female, then you've met your male/female quota handily. But imagine that everything else being equal instead you had 7 male and 3 female who happened to be the best applicants from the batch. Then, to meet the quota you exclude the two worst men and hire two even worse women. They were even worse by definition of being worse than the worst men in the group, so now you've got 5 of each but the two quota hires are noticeably less talented than everyone else in the room.

Even though each process ended up with a 5/5 split the result is in fact very different.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153566 on: September 09, 2020, 10:11:15 pm »

Y'all forget that there are successful solo game devs who are women lol. Definitely more in recent years, though - between general gamer/online culture being more visibly populated by women (at least in my experience) and society being more supportive of women going off and doing their own thing instead of the whole kids/marriage pressure, we're seeing more diversity.

Film-wise, production level decisions seem to make or break a lot of shows, especially when it comes to more diverse content. The wider range of streaming platforms helps I think - everyone's trying to find a niche before they run out.of capital.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153567 on: September 09, 2020, 10:22:22 pm »

and society being more supportive of women going off and doing their own thing instead of the whole kids/marriage pressure, we're seeing more diversity.
Yes, I agree that this is definitely a thing that has happened since the 50s.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153568 on: September 10, 2020, 12:28:36 pm »

Those movies exist as prestige projects (EDIT and possibly something to do with taxes or subsidies).

Springtime for Hitler? :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153569 on: September 10, 2020, 07:01:54 pm »

Wow just came across someone in my work (not a colleague) who has three people (him + two kids) working from home (in winter) so their electricity bill shot right up now he's trying to game a discount. "Can I get a discount because of Covid?" ... no you can't, you've got three people working at home, pay your fucking bills. A lot of people are out of work, asshat.

Like, if you're going to try and beg a discount from your electricity company don't start by telling them "we do all this electricity intensive stuff at home that makes us money, can we get a discount?"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 07:06:23 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 10236 10237 [10238] 10239 10240 ... 10983