Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10237 10238 [10239] 10240 10241 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13142047 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153570 on: September 10, 2020, 08:18:57 pm »

In my line of work I swear I've had people pester for discounts, because basically they exist, and therefore deserve a cheaper price.  Like they must ask at every place they do business and I guess enough of them do to make the quixotic effort worth it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153571 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »

But you dont understand!  These are expert barters, trained in the modern forums, markets, and cultures.  They are woke, and as such they deserve to feel the power of their custom!  They will pay in something far greater than simple coin - They trade in exposure!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153572 on: September 10, 2020, 09:07:57 pm »

I once had someone complain that a product that did not have its price reduced in the clearance section was unfair and that they wouldn’t pay that price.

They also could not seem to understand when I said we do not have infinite space in which to put product, and our main distribution center sometimes sends us things in error that we’re not allowed to send back so we have to fit it in somewhere, and that somewhere is occasionally in the clearance section, but not at a clearance price point.

They were, of course, insistent that they were right, so I got the manager for the department who said pretty much everything I said in the paragraph above, and that the price wasn’t going to change because they thought it was too high.

Then we went on with our day.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153573 on: September 10, 2020, 09:17:01 pm »

Wow just came across someone in my work (not a colleague) who has three people (him + two kids) working from home (in winter) so their electricity bill shot right up now he's trying to game a discount. "Can I get a discount because of Covid?" ... no you can't, you've got three people working at home, pay your fucking bills. A lot of people are out of work, asshat.

Like, if you're going to try and beg a discount from your electricity company don't start by telling them "we do all this electricity intensive stuff at home that makes us money, can we get a discount?"
Always ask for a discount. Even if you don't have any reason at all. They don't deserve your money, make them work for it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153574 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:46 pm »

They trade in exposure!

do not take your pants off to seek a discount
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153575 on: September 11, 2020, 05:55:42 am »

Oh god how ridiculous

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/usc-chinese-professor-racism-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

A lecturer in communications was discussing something and a Chinese term came up which was "nei ge". Now some unidentified students have decided to become outraged and demanded trigger warnings at the start of lectures for words that sound like other words that could be offensive to some students.

"This phrase, clearly and precisely before instruction is always identified as a phonetic homonym and a racial derogatory term, and should be carefully used, especially in the context of speaking Chinese within the social context of the United States," ​according to the letter, which accused Patton of negligence.

"The way we heard it in class was indicative of a much more hurtful word with tremendous implications for the Black community."

It's kinda fucking obvious from the language of "tremendous implications for the Black community" that they're speaking in third person and the outraged people were white students here. Now they got this lecturer suspended (from teaching the class).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:00:11 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153576 on: September 11, 2020, 05:59:05 am »

Oh god how ridiculous

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/usc-chinese-professor-racism-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

A lecturer in communications was discussing something and a Chinese term came up which was "nei ge". Now some unidentified students have decided to become outraged and demanded trigger warnings at the start of lectures for words that sound like other words that could be offensive to some students.

"This phrase, clearly and precisely before instruction is always identified as a phonetic homonym and a racial derogatory term, and should be carefully used, especially in the context of speaking Chinese within the social context of the United States," ​according to the letter, which accused Patton of negligence.

"The way we heard it in class was indicative of a much more hurtful word with tremendous implications for the Black community."

It's kinda fucking obvious from the language of "tremendous implications for the Black community" that they're speaking in third person and the outraged people were white students here. Now they got this lecturer suspended.
Wow

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153577 on: September 11, 2020, 06:05:09 am »

Some people say that the ultra-woke are the secular equivalent of a religion. Mechanisms like this are much like blasphemy. Don't utter the proscribed syllables, no matter the context, along with a host of sacred ideas and symbols and heresies / ex-communication of people who sin against the holy teachings (see the treatment of laci green when she went off script for an example).

EDIT: to point out how this really was white students using mock outrage to push their shitty cause, so far apparently no single black person has come out against that professor:

This past week, ​other members of academia, including those of Black and Chinese descent, blasted USC and voiced outrage on social media on Patton's behalf.
"All I can say is, the professor's pronunciation of the Chinese phrase "neige" was accurate, and his use of it as an example of filler language was linguistically appropriate. It's a *very* common phrase," tweeted Yale law professor Taisu Zhang, who has previously taught in Hong Kong and China.
The Black China Caucus, an American organization that describes itself as "amplifying Black voices in the China space," also defended Patton on Twitter.

"The BCC is shocked by how USC mishandled this situation," the organization posted. "Not only would a quick Mandarin lesson reveal that "nèi ge" is a common pronoun, but USC's reaction cheapens and degrades substantive conversations surrounding real (diversity, equity and inclusion) challenges on college campuses!"
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:10:53 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153578 on: September 11, 2020, 06:06:00 am »

I am reminded of the fiasco when somebody used the word "Niggardly" to describe a budget situation. It caused a tremendous stink.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/31/opinion/liberties-niggardly-city.html

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153579 on: September 11, 2020, 06:12:07 am »

That's the really beautiful part about this sort of thing, it's almost always a thing because woke types are ignorant shitheads.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153580 on: September 11, 2020, 07:28:59 am »

That's the really beautiful part about this sort of thing, it's almost always a thing because woke types are ignorant shitheads.
I too, enjoy painting with brushes broader than the interstate.

Edit: To be clear, this terribly stupid incident is entirely due to white people being ignorant and not understanding what "other languages" means.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:31:19 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153581 on: September 11, 2020, 07:46:38 am »

Or in the case of "niggardly", not having a good grasp of the English language's vocabulary.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153582 on: September 11, 2020, 08:14:35 am »

It’s more understandable with the word niggardly though. The word means stingy, ungenerous; not a nice thing to call someone, and it is not beyond the realm of possibility someone may think it grew from the n-word itself, even though it didn’t.

The “neige” thing is very stupid though. It came up in a class about communication organically in a context without racial connotations, and it was the people that made the complaint that made it have those connotations.

Because of cancel culture, the university presumably felt they had to look as though they weren’t going to protect such an unabashed racist and suspended him because any delay in action has the potential to make them look bad. Now they look bad for pandering to these idiots, which is better than maybe looking bad for not punishing racism.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #153583 on: September 11, 2020, 12:24:37 pm »

Edit: To be clear, this terribly stupid incident is entirely due to white people being ignorant and not understanding what "other languages" means.

I'm amazed that you can say that without a hint of irony. My generalizations, at least, are not totally insane and don't cost people their careers or credibility.

These are the same people who said that milk and St. Patrick's Day are racist. These are the same people who complained about dark-skinned anime characters not having black VAs in the context of Usagiyama Rumi, then backpedaled to her VA not "sounding black enough" when someone with the ability to spend five seconds on google pointed out that her VA was in fact African-American (never mind the culturally self-centered notion that a character with dark skin in future Japan would sound anything like whatever horrid ebonics stereotype accent they were thinking of).

One of the fundamental, inescapable elements of any radical ideology is that it is utterly divorced from reality and its proponents will make all sorts of logic-defying rationalizations to try to force facts to adhere to their delusions.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 12:26:22 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153584 on: September 11, 2020, 12:27:07 pm »

woke types are ignorant shitheads.

This seems like a fair summary, yes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 10237 10238 [10239] 10240 10241 ... 10980