Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10239 10240 [10241] 10242 10243 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13139281 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153600 on: September 11, 2020, 03:38:59 pm »

Dumbledore being gay wasn't a retcon at all, it was people not paying attention (and living in the 2000s, in all fairness). How he describes his obsession with Grindelwald is a confession of love in everything but the word itself. He even writes the "A" in "Albus" using Grindelwald's Deathly Hallows symbol.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #153601 on: September 11, 2020, 03:40:16 pm »

I agree with all that.  There's a huge difference between being gay and being a campy gay stereotype.  Being openly gay is also different from being secretly gay, but Dumbledore's sexuality never came up.  like, reasonably.   So I never like, disagreed with Rowling for declaring that he was gay.

I did question her motivations for stating it.  Why point out *his* sexuality in particular?  It reads like an attempt to get woke points by retroactively declaring something which had no effect on the story.

It's also interesting in the context of the Harry Potter fanfic scene, which often explored... non-straight couplings.  She was... not a fan.  So that's the context of her making a grand pronouncement that one *specific* character was gay.

There were plenty of other reasons to be leery of Rowling, one of which she helpfully made explicit.
So it's really just an unsurprising epilogue that the stories of young Dumbledore and his close male acquaintance don't touch on his sexuality whatsoever.

The original context of "Dumbledore's gay" was vetoing an attempt by the film director to give him a past female love interest. Unlike her later guff, it wasn't a random statement.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153602 on: September 11, 2020, 03:41:03 pm »

As I say, never trust the Disc Horse.

Besides, the complaint about Dumbledore not being openly gay had more to do with JKR basically retconning it in, with no indication. (Not too long before the "wizards pooped on the ground" incident)

And she announced it as part of announcing the book he died in, which is always a good look.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153603 on: September 11, 2020, 04:06:20 pm »

I didn't know his signature was like that, MSH. And the pushing back against the director makes sense, Shonus.

Also wait what. If forgot that was the timing.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #153604 on: September 11, 2020, 04:26:58 pm »

Wasn't the "wizards pooped on the ground" incident from a parody account, and people confused it for the real deal?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153605 on: September 11, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »

Wasn't the "wizards pooped on the ground" incident from a parody account, and people confused it for the real deal?
I sincerely hope so.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153606 on: September 11, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »

I was under the impression that wizards simply shat their pants, then used magic to erase it. Not sure how that'd work, since most wizard kids don't start expressing their powers until around 5 to 10, and even without them being forbidden from using magic outside of school until they're 17(only enforced on Muggle-born wizards anyway) they wouldn't have the ability to use that spell for some time. Long after diapers would be appropriate. Then again, maybe that's why Squibs(opposite of Muggle-born wizards; wizard-born Muggle) are considered so shameful.

To be fair, I'm hoping it's false too, because it is stupid.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153607 on: September 11, 2020, 05:12:26 pm »

I sincerely hope so.

Source provided. The date of the article say 1/04 unfortunately that's not April 1st but January 4th.

https://news.avclub.com/j-k-rowling-reveals-that-wizards-used-to-just-shit-on-1831501641

https://www.wizardingworld.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/chamber-of-secrets

However, when Hogwarts’ plumbing became more elaborate in the eighteenth century (this was a rare instance of wizards copying Muggles, because hitherto they simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence)

Yeah, it's official.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:21:10 pm by Reelya »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #153608 on: September 11, 2020, 05:23:56 pm »

Just magic it directly out of your colon. Nobody ever needs to know.

Anyway, in work related fuckery, a random old woman wandered in through the back door outside our kitchen today and started calling out "hello?" Repeatedly. I thought I was hearing things, because looking out both doors I at first didn't see anyone. The housekeeping staff found her, and questioned her, and apparently she got lost looking for an auto parts store. I had to walk her around to the front door and let her out there because the back door uses a code I don't know. I have no idea how she could have gotten in, since that door is obviously locked from the outside too. This woman came by car, too. She was driving.

Is this the true power of stupidity? Will this woman find her way into the alien containment area at Area 51, past all the guards and security? Is the Pentagon even safe? Will she ever find that part her husband wrote down on her piece of paper? Tune in next week on "People that Wander into Assisted Living Facilities and Probably shouldn't have been let Out!"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153609 on: September 11, 2020, 06:02:24 pm »

Maybe the woman is Mr. Magoo
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153610 on: September 11, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »

Yeah to me the whole Gay Dumbledore thing was like an "oh, ok, it doesn't necessarily ADD anything to the story, but that's cool" sort of thing. Way to deepen the backstory of the character. I mean they'd added some sort of love interest backstory to almost every other character at that point, so it made sense to at least cover the subject.

Like at some point they went back and described Professor McGonagall's whole love deal. I felt that it was just fleshing out a character in both cases.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153611 on: September 11, 2020, 11:55:39 pm »

Yeah to me the whole Gay Dumbledore thing was like an "oh, ok, it doesn't necessarily ADD anything to the story, but that's cool" sort of thing. Way to deepen the backstory of the character. I mean they'd added some sort of love interest backstory to almost every other character at that point, so it made sense to at least cover the subject.

Like at some point they went back and described Professor McGonagall's whole love deal. I felt that it was just fleshing out a character in both cases.

It goes back to the 'presumed straight' thing.

For example, if there was no hint of Dumbledore's being gay in any novel and the author could just come out with it as a 'btw' then that really proves there was no hint of them being *straight* in any of the novels: otherwise it would have lead to a contradiction.

As for Professor McGonagall, I'm guessing nobody out there went "omg I thought she was a raving lesbian the whole time, what's with this backstory?" I'm wondering whether if McGonagall had been revealed as a lesbian would there have been an equivalent backlash? Perhaps not.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153612 on: September 12, 2020, 02:54:27 am »

I was under the impression that wizards simply shat their pants, then used magic to erase it. Not sure how that'd work, since most wizard kids don't start expressing their powers until around 5 to 10, and even without them being forbidden from using magic outside of school until they're 17(only enforced on Muggle-born wizards anyway) they wouldn't have the ability to use that spell for some time. Long after diapers would be appropriate. Then again, maybe that's why Squibs(opposite of Muggle-born wizards; wizard-born Muggle) are considered so shameful.

To be fair, I'm hoping it's false too, because it is stupid.

Whether on the ground or in the pants, it would be stupid. Toilets existed before proper plumbing. They just had to be emptied manualy after some time.
What should have happened before plumbing is toilets that were either enchanted to vanish the excrements, or had them vanished by castle staff.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153613 on: September 12, 2020, 03:26:20 am »

Chamber pots were a thing yes.

The ancient romans had flush toilets over 2000 years ago.

Now, I am totally down with the notion that wizards would be slow to adopt technological innovation, because necessity is the mother of invention, and they have all their needs met with magic.  It totally explains why they would be woefully ignorant to the point of whimsy about how technology you know-- works.  The converse would also be true; Muggles would be woefully ignorant of how magic, you know-- works.

The ideal would be to synergize the two, and create magitech. (like the real thing.)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153614 on: September 12, 2020, 04:19:11 am »

Or wizards could be the OG hipsters only using muggle technology ironically. 
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10239 10240 [10241] 10242 10243 ... 10980