Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10244 10245 [10246] 10247 10248 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182154 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153675 on: September 23, 2020, 05:06:52 pm »

The solution to this, is to be somewhat neurotic-- and it is actually quite UNhealthful, but it works to combat this psychological hackery on the part of the advertisers.

Internalize the emotional hatred of the product, and the clear and present disrespect that this form of marketing demonstrates, as a personal slight. Reinforce the association between the two, as you explain to yourself, in no uncertain terms, exactly why you will never purchase the product, nor recommend it to a friend. When questioned about the product, this meditation will allow you to drip all the vitriol you need to discourage the sales through that channel as well.

This kind of negativity is quite toxic; It must be, in order to accomplish the task you desire-- specifically, to condition yourself to deny as many sales of that product as possible, and thus render that advertisement more than a mere waste of money, but into an actual bad for the product's manufacturer.

Just be sure to use discretion when willfully engaging in such a tactic-- Remind yourself the very specific rationale, and do not deviate from the very narrow qualifying conditions you have set for it-- you do not want to establish a pattern of such negative cogitation in the general experiences of your life.  JUST for these kinds of abusive advertisement, and to punish the manufacturers or service providers for attempting to use them.

In essence, you need to make it into a personal grudge that you refuse to let go of, but be mindful not to let it fester into a deep seated, malignant, and irrational pattern of hate based decision making.  It must be tempered with as much pure reason as possible, for that very purpose.

There are a few products that have entered that portion of my psyche, and are treated in such contempt.  It has been *VERY* effective at assuring that I do not, ever, purchase said products-- and, that I will always advocate for the competitor's offering, when questioned about said products.

Not everyone is able to pull off such a self-hack though.  This is indeed, precisely why advertising companies continue to do it; By the numbers, most do not, or cannot.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153676 on: September 23, 2020, 05:32:04 pm »

What about accepting the influence? 

If I see three brands in the store, I'm mostly going to compare them by price, personal experience, and any friend testimonies.  Plus an unconscious influence from marketing - which I do not deny, because I lack that hubris.  The influence obviously works on the general public, and I have no reason to believe I'm exempt.

But say those three brands have the same approximate price, and I don't consciously remember anything about them.  I am going to pick at "random" - which is to say, influenced by prior ads, along with the ads on the packaging.  Why resist that?

If we all resisted such harmless marketing, many of the "free" services we enjoy would require funds - subscriptions, government subsidy, or some other ruinous option.  What would we get in return?  Is there some inherent evil to marketing?

It certainly feels gross, but I wonder if there's a more meaningful argument.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #153677 on: September 23, 2020, 05:54:38 pm »

All other factors equal, I may as well pick the brand I've never heard of. If they can't afford to market to me, they probably need my money more.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153678 on: September 23, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »

That . . . is the opposite of what an advert is supposed to do.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153679 on: September 23, 2020, 06:52:15 pm »

Excellent.  The more people that respond in the 180 degree direction of the advertiser's intent, the sooner we will live in a world without their constant blaring interruptions and obscene attention seeking.

(until they learn to just advertise for their competitors, to leverage the new effect.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153680 on: September 23, 2020, 07:11:10 pm »

Why they dont realize that if your add blocks my video, it only makes me hate your product.
I'm sure they do realise this (well, probably not that you specifically react that way, but that some people do), but the sad thing is that enough people actually respond positively to ads to make it worthwhile.
I hope I don't know anyone like that.

It's actually worse than that. As long as the ad leaves some impression on you it has done its job. Because a year from now the feels of 'I hate that' will usually have faded, and just the memory of 'Oh, yeah, that product. I know that one!' will stick around. So in the long term as you're still more likely to buy their stuff with an ad you hate than one that doesn't leave an impression at all.

Fun things I learned back in a marketing course in college. Turns out advertisers really are evil.

Well, I have the buying capacity of a broke squirrel, so the joke is on them! Haha!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153681 on: September 23, 2020, 07:14:35 pm »

Excellent.  The more people that respond in the 180 degree direction of the advertiser's intent, the sooner we will live in a world without their constant blaring interruptions and obscene attention seeking.

(until they learn to just advertise for their competitors, to leverage the new effect.)
At that point we should just randomly choose the brand from all available options.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153682 on: September 24, 2020, 01:29:39 am »

It's actually worse than that. As long as the ad leaves some impression on you it has done its job. Because a year from now the feels of 'I hate that' will usually have faded, and just the memory of 'Oh, yeah, that product. I know that one!' will stick around. So in the long term as you're still more likely to buy their stuff with an ad you hate than one that doesn't leave an impression at all.
I'm genuinely not, but my brain is weird. For me the feelings of "I hate that" never, ever fade.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153683 on: September 24, 2020, 01:33:35 am »

I don't mind static ads. What I dislike are ads that block what I want to do, ads that make sound and ads that scroll with the page (or any combination thereof).

Also, much of the time, the ads are not even relevant. I usually just go to whatever shop is the closest, regardless of brand. And recently, I've been getting ads for a bank and some furniture store, neither of which I am likely to act upon.

I also remember that time that I've been getting ads for the uni I was already studying at. Cookies are stupid, and since I had cookies about the uni, I got ads about the uni.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153684 on: September 24, 2020, 06:27:15 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:35:02 am by dragdeler »
let

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153685 on: September 24, 2020, 06:39:19 am »

More to the point, as master craftsmen dwarves would recognise crappy merchandise as just that. Crappy. The standard of goods quality would have to sky rocket, lest human brands lose to competitive Dawi products.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153686 on: September 24, 2020, 07:18:17 am »

I live in a swing state.

The 45 minutes I watch TV for in the morning are filled with political ads, and now I get them on YT too.

How I long for the day of ads for products instead of “that man’s a cunt, vote for me!” “No, me, he’s a cunt!” “I’m fucking amazing you should vote for me.”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #153687 on: September 24, 2020, 07:24:41 am »

Is it at least local assholes most of the time, or do you get to deal with trump as a commercial subject more often than not?

Actually, even if they are largely more local, does that even help on that front?

... either way, hey, sounds like a good excuse to stop watching TV and getting a nice adblocker setup :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153688 on: September 24, 2020, 07:28:41 am »

I see a LOT of biden ads
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153689 on: September 24, 2020, 07:42:55 am »

Is it at least local assholes most of the time, or do you get to deal with trump as a commercial subject more often than not?

Actually, even if they are largely more local, does that even help on that front?

... either way, hey, sounds like a good excuse to stop watching TV and getting a nice adblocker setup :P

Starting to get local stuff. They’re the non-attack ones. National ads significantly skew toward attack ads.

Edit: saw an ad for congress that was an attack ad before I left for work.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:13:02 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10244 10245 [10246] 10247 10248 ... 10983