Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10253 10254 [10255] 10256 10257 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13168566 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #153810 on: September 30, 2020, 10:34:22 pm »

The article doesn't appear to feature any real outrage, simply pointing out that no research had previously been done, and I was exaggerating. The internal folds in question were actually pointed out because the researchers hadn't figured out what they're there for yet, apparently other marine mammals (seals, otters) don't have them?

This was the one in question; it does contain images of whale genitalia, though. It's in the URL. You've been warned.

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153811 on: September 30, 2020, 11:21:05 pm »

What a bunch of dorks. ::)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153812 on: September 30, 2020, 11:23:23 pm »

Well played  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153813 on: October 01, 2020, 03:16:53 am »

In today's episode of "Joshua is amazed by simple math" I was thinking in the shower about squared numbers, and if you took any equation, say 10*10, and you subtracted 1 from one of the tens, and added 1 to the other ten, so the equation is 9*11, the result is always the squared numbers' result minus 1.

So the formula would be something like (n2)-1=(n-1)(n+1)

If you subtracted and added 1 again, the result is now minus 4 from n2. Just from mentally doing this a couple times, it seems to hold up; and going even further, and subtracting & adding 1 again, the result is now always minus 9 from n2. I'm not sure how I'd write this in a succinct formula to encompass all possible values.

I'm sure this isn't a revelation to anyone, it just entertained me while I was in the shower.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153814 on: October 01, 2020, 03:46:27 am »

Yes, it's because x2 - y2 = (x+y)(x-y). It's pretty obvious if you write it out; the four terms of the quadratic expansion are x2 + xy - xy - y2, so the two xys cancel.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #153815 on: October 01, 2020, 03:58:04 am »

In today's episode of "Joshua is amazed by simple math" I was thinking in the shower about squared numbers, and if you took any equation, say 10*10, and you subtracted 1 from one of the tens, and added 1 to the other ten, so the equation is 9*11, the result is always the squared numbers' result minus 1.

Well, the math definitely checks out. :P

If you wanted to understand it intuitively, I guess you'd draw a bunch of rectangles and look at how their areas were changing in response to side length. Rectangles are more intuitive than parabolas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:00:16 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153816 on: October 01, 2020, 03:59:41 am »

Oh yeah, I guess it is that simple. I wonder why I was just thinking about it randomly.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153817 on: October 01, 2020, 04:06:08 am »

Oh yeah, I guess it is that simple. I wonder why I was just thinking about it randomly.
Destiny calls. You must become a mathematician.
One wheel short of a wagon

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153818 on: October 01, 2020, 09:23:01 am »

When did the WTF thread turn into the arguing about are brains computers, math, and whale vaginas thread?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153819 on: October 01, 2020, 10:26:08 am »

WTF???
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153820 on: October 01, 2020, 10:33:04 am »

When did the WTF thread turn into the arguing about are brains computers, math, and whale vaginas thread?
Two days ago. :)

My WTF:
A professor gave us some homework, since the city housing our uni canceled personal education.
After reading the e-mail he sent, I tried to find the scriptum it is in online, but could not find it. Since a subject under that name does not even exist, I tried looking for a scriptum for the subject he is teaching. I found it, but it did not contain any excersises at the approptiate page.
I reported this and he replied that I read improperly. Then he said a wrote a third name, similar to the first one. I found it under that one, but I could not download it.
It has to be personaly borrowed from the university library.
And finaly, when doing the excersises, it told me to get some values. So I invented some. Then there was one excersise that implied that some function depends on an unused variable. I was confused by this, so I started reading ahead.
And then, 2 pages after the end of the excersise definitions, I found a table of the 4 variables and how they depended on each other.

This professor has a history with giving assignments in a confusing way. And scripts made by him seem to be equaly confusing.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153821 on: October 01, 2020, 11:31:18 pm »

Well, the math definitely checks out. :P

If you wanted to understand it intuitively, I guess you'd draw a bunch of rectangles and look at how their areas were changing in response to side length. Rectangles are more intuitive than parabolas.

The rectangles thing is definitely the right idea for understanding why this is so intuitively. Take a 10x10 square and chop a 1x1 corner out, then you can cut it into a 9x10 part and a 1x9 part, and re-arrange that into an 11x9 rectangle. The same with 2x2 and larger chunks cut out: that leaves an 10x8 and an 8x12, rearranging into a 12x8, etc etc.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153822 on: October 02, 2020, 01:30:02 am »

I started playing a bit of minecraft recently. According to the official wiki, being not hungry is called "Saturation". Don't they mean 'Satiation' here?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153823 on: October 02, 2020, 01:39:30 am »

I started playing a bit of minecraft recently. According to the official wiki, being not hungry is called "Saturation". Don't they mean 'Satiation' here?

Steve is actually a sponge. He lacks a proper stomach, which is why he never needs to poop. the food items are simply distributed through his tissues, and become saturated.  As it digests, it is released slowly as a gas.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #153824 on: October 02, 2020, 03:16:00 am »

(Note: there is a MC server running here)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10253 10254 [10255] 10256 10257 ... 10983