Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10269 10270 [10271] 10272 10273 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13149722 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154050 on: October 19, 2020, 12:44:11 pm »

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but isn't the Kinsey scale still a simplification of representing orientation, as much as binary orientations are a (even more of a) simplification of representing orientation?

Sure, and your blood type is a simplification of the variety of a hundred proteins that are on your blood cell membranes. There's nothing wrong with simplification for the sake of a model.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #154051 on: October 19, 2020, 03:03:09 pm »

Everything bar the sum of the universe is a simplification.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154052 on: October 19, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but isn't the Kinsey scale still a simplification of representing orientation, as much as binary orientations are a (even more of a) simplification of representing orientation?

Sure, and your blood type is a simplification of the variety of a hundred proteins that are on your blood cell membranes. There's nothing wrong with simplification for the sake of a model.

I mean, that's the whole "all models are wrong, but some models are useful" thing, isn't it? Orientation is some billions-long (at least) set of variables that encode the state of part of the brain at some point in time, so you have to compress that down into a handful of variables, basically picking the ones that are most important to you.

I'll agree with you, it's not wrong to do that, but it's important to keep in mind that it's still a simplification. If there exists a person that doesn't fit into any such model, the model is wrong, not the person. Then again, for something this complicated, I don't think it's possible to have a model that encompasses the entire possible gamut of orientation. I think it's good enough to just cover most of the population, and call it a day. What "most" means to you depends on you, which is why there's 300 different models/scales of orientation.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #154053 on: October 19, 2020, 06:23:31 pm »

This is probably a bad example
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154054 on: October 19, 2020, 06:26:18 pm »

so I just got an email from the Trump campaign promising to match any donations I make -via purchasing products like shirts and caps- by a factor of 800%.

%.

You know, that doesnt scream desperation to win the election'.

It screams 'oh crap Ive got to sell my merch'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154055 on: October 19, 2020, 10:21:54 pm »

I mean. Americans do still mean negroid when they say black and mongoloid when they say asian, so...

Which is why 'caucasian' is itself a problematic term. A co-worker got upset at another co-worker for using the word 'White'. Someone suggested 'European' but they weren't happy with that since it suggests non-white Europeans aren't European, so co-worker#1 suggested 'Caucasian' as the appropriate term. This person is an idiot though (a bully who just happens to occasionally include out-SJW-ing people as one of her bullying tactics) and I didn't want to engage with them, so I didn't bring up the fact that 'Caucasian' is part of historical Germanic "race 'science'" that was a precursor to Nazi ideology, and has been discredited and is no longer used outside of police descriptions as a 'euphemism' to mean white.

Hence, there isn't any term for white that isn't any less problematic, and at least 'white' doesn't have links to proto-Nazi Aryan race science. Saying white and black aren't perfect but they're the best options. "African-American" is problematic because then white people are the default Americans who don't need a subtype while suggesting that they're never going to be fully American since Africa =/= America, while 'people of color' suggests white people are the default people who don't need to be labeled.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:34:32 pm by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154056 on: October 19, 2020, 10:29:39 pm »

Just call people what they want to be called
Assuming a wrong term is inevitable and they're surely used to it, just adjust and move past it.  In my experience they very much don't want it to be a *thing* any longer than necessary.

If a third party chimes in, ignore them as politely as possible.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #154057 on: October 20, 2020, 01:15:20 am »

Hence, there isn't any term for white that isn't any less problematic, and at least 'white' doesn't have links to proto-Nazi Aryan race science. Saying white and black aren't perfect but they're the best options.

Light brown, middling brown, and dark brown ;)

Just call people what they want to be called
Assuming a wrong term is inevitable and they're surely used to it, just adjust and move past it.  In my experience they very much don't want it to be a *thing* any longer than necessary.

If a third party chimes in, ignore them as politely as possible.

This presumes people don't want to be called things that they are not, though. Like that woman who pretended to be "black" that I can't remember the name of but am pretty sure you remember. Or things people are but also aren't, like native Americans or aren't Native Americans.

Or, you know, bands who pretend to be Grunge but aren't from the late 80's early 90's Seattle scene.
Love, scriver~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154058 on: October 20, 2020, 01:46:13 am »

Just call people what you want to call them. If someone doesn't like what you want to call him, you probably don't want to be friends with that guy and he probably doesn't want to be friends with you, anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154059 on: October 20, 2020, 04:09:08 am »

That's my secret, cap... I'm always friendly

-- John Dorian
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154060 on: October 20, 2020, 07:48:37 am »

Plus the Caucasus region is in Turkey, and I ain't a club sandwich.

I've always had a little trouble with "African-American" because I consider that as more of a nationality thing than a color thing. Like, I'd consider myself Norwegian-American, because I'm both a Norwegian and an American citizen. And calling people who've been living in the US for generations and who've probably had about as much to do with Africa as I have "African-American" just strikes me as a bit off.

Yeah, "black" is also kinda stupid, because they're just sorta brownish (unless you're like that chick from Senegal with the cool ultra-dark almost bluish-black skin), and even if not directly offensive it's still a bit of a crude label. That said, it's the best descriptor I personally know of for "black America", which has been an incredibly important and powerful cultural influence for ages.

I dunno. It's all a bit dumb anyways. And I make horribly racist jokes all the time and probably shouldn't be allowed a position on such matters to begin with  :P

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154061 on: October 20, 2020, 07:54:36 am »

I finished homework which required calc. I put everything into a document. Then I duplicated the sheet in calc to mess around with alternative input values.

Calc stopped updating equation cells, so I saved and reloaded. This updated the equation cells... Including the ones working with original values. That is, the ones that I already put into the document and spent time formatting correctly.

So I checked these new values. They were correct. Which means that my calc calculated it wrong and the only reason I got the correct answers is the bug that happened when I was messing around. Now I am putting the new values into the document.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154062 on: October 20, 2020, 08:00:42 am »

"Lemelinials" and "Momelinials"
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154063 on: October 20, 2020, 08:02:00 am »

Just unfolded a Nat Geo map that's been floating around my room for ages and took a look at it.   
It's hard to describe the feeling that looking at world maps gives me. Like... it's so big, you know? And there are so many people scattered across it. Having a visual reminder of that is always, not shocking exactly, but still kinda mind-bending. All those hundreds of li'l place names marked everywhere, and you know that each of those names isn't just some tiny two-horse town, these are places of substance with enough population to warrant a spot on a world map. Dang.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154064 on: October 20, 2020, 08:04:24 am »

I went to a supermarket, and for some godforsaken reason, the bread and peanut butter was near the cashier (technically, slightly beyond the cashier), which is like, the impulse purchase zone. I looked around the whole damn place, and I didn't find those things until I got to the cashier. Why the hell is bread and peanut butter in the same place you'd find candy and snacks? Are they trying to imply that they're impulse purchases? The hell?
Pages: 1 ... 10269 10270 [10271] 10272 10273 ... 10980