Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10331 10332 [10333] 10334 10335 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183218 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #154980 on: January 03, 2021, 06:33:28 am »

'tatos is american slang for "potatoes".  See also, 'taters.

For you Spanish speaking folks, I believe the word is "Papas". (not to be confused with the other kinds of papas)
¿Que es papas, querido? ¿Que es papas?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154981 on: January 03, 2021, 06:41:52 am »

'tatos is american slang for "potatoes".  See also, 'taters.

For you Spanish speaking folks, I believe the word is "Papas". (not to be confused with the other kinds of papas)
¿Que es papas, querido? ¿Que es papas?

Estos son Papas

y

Estos son papas

y

Estos son papas

y

Estos son papas

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154982 on: January 03, 2021, 06:55:25 am »

Hahaha... missed the joke :(

Yeah, papá is father, papa is potato, el Papa is the Pope...

Tu papá tiene muchos años: your father has many years
Tu papa tiene muchos anos: your potato has many assholes

However the second link are Papayas, or Lechozas (only in Venezuela)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:00:53 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154983 on: January 03, 2021, 07:00:16 am »

Isn’t language fun like that? One accent can change the whole meaning of the sentence

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154984 on: January 03, 2021, 07:02:02 am »

In many nationalities, they are called "PawPaws", which is phonetically the same as papas. (at least with midwestern english pronunciations)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #154985 on: January 03, 2021, 07:19:23 am »

Isn’t language fun like that? One accent can change the whole meaning of the sentence
I wonder if English has anything like that. There's fewer letters in the alphabet, surely there's more places where you can change one letter and the whole meaning of the sentence changes.

Fakedit: I guess "cologne" and "colon" is a pretty good near-example (2 letters, not 1); many a tweet has been made about smelling part of someone's digestive system instead of their perfume.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #154986 on: January 03, 2021, 07:34:03 am »

Täter!
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #154987 on: January 03, 2021, 08:14:43 am »

It's been raining for pretty much an entire day where I am. How?! It's cold as shit (24°C - 26°C (75°F - 79°F), I'm expecting to be laughed at), my body's just barely producing enough heat to not freeze to death (metaphorically speaking, I think hypothermia needs a lower temperature than that). I like cold as much as the next guy, but this is getting ridiculous.
I mean, it's not laughter, but there's definitely confusion at calling 75+F cold. That's about the point I start to sweat. It's barely on the tolerable side of warm. House is usually kept at 74, and it's got thin skinned old people in it that find it just about right.

Has been doing the raining thing where I'm at for the last few days, but it's been a nice-ish lower 70s to upper 50s, mostly hovering in the mid to upper sixties. Still shorts and short-sleeved shirt weather, basically, but getting down there to proprobably-put-on-some-actual-pants territory.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154988 on: January 03, 2021, 08:18:38 am »

27 C is where it gets UNBEARABLE to me.

I remember when my class mate took a school trip to Brazil and his hosts didn't want to go swimming in the heat because to them it was too cold. But to us it would have been prime swimming weather
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154989 on: January 03, 2021, 08:22:17 am »

I have that experience with the pacific islanders in my gaming group.

I will comment that Link from BotW is a wimp when it comes to cold (seriously, it lists the temperature in the corner of the game's HUD-- pay attention to when Link starts to lose health from cold), and that I can go around in a tshirt and shorts in that weather.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #154990 on: January 03, 2021, 08:30:11 am »

I wonder if English has anything like that. There's fewer letters in the alphabet, surely there's more places where you can change one letter and the whole meaning of the sentence changes.

Fakedit: I guess "cologne" and "colon" is a pretty good near-example (2 letters, not 1); many a tweet has been made about smelling part of someone's digestive system instead of their perfume.

There are plenty of dialect jokes revolving around this.

A Yorkshireman walks into a jewelller and says to the clerk, "Can tha' mek us a statue of our whippet?"
"Of course," Answers the clerk. "Eighteen carat?"
"Nah, I reckon chewin on a bone'll be fine."

A Yorkshireman comes to the vet for his cat's incontinence.
After listening to the explanation, the vet asks: "First of all, is it a tom?"
"Nah, I've got him here."

The only other one that immediately comes to mind is extremely regional and requires you to know Afrikaans, know what English sounds like in a thick Afrikaans accent, and know about rugby, so I'm pretty sure it'd fly really wide of the mark on this forum. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154991 on: January 03, 2021, 08:48:07 am »

Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154992 on: January 03, 2021, 12:23:20 pm »

The city I live have a record of 39 celsius. But average is around 23 and humidity no more of 70%.

However my mother city is far cooler. I like the cold far better.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #154993 on: January 03, 2021, 06:57:48 pm »

lol So i met this venezuelan woman on tinder.

And I knee immediately we could be friends.  wetalked about how terrible tinder was.

but im not romantically interested in her.  and When her date no showed i asked if she wanted some drinks.  so now im out in new haven getting drinks with a girl who speaks limited english  in a snow storm, wondering if I should be disappointing this girl by not pursuing her.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154994 on: January 03, 2021, 08:17:53 pm »

I can help you out. From which city is she?
Pages: 1 ... 10331 10332 [10333] 10334 10335 ... 10983