Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10337 10338 [10339] 10340 10341 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13181274 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155070 on: January 07, 2021, 01:11:40 pm »

"MAGAMartyr"
Oh no...
I think that, somewhere, a new Timothy McVeigh was created.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155071 on: January 07, 2021, 01:19:00 pm »

I still don't think it's right as just because a nasty person made the emote doesn't mean the emote itself is somehow evil.

I mean the emote is literally his face but alright.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #155072 on: January 07, 2021, 04:35:46 pm »

Plus nobody here, and AFAIK nobody else, said "the emote itself is evil."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155073 on: January 07, 2021, 07:35:58 pm »

The woman shoot in the chest and 3 medical complications? One of those a heart attack.... so sad.

I read more about the heart attack victim.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155074 on: January 07, 2021, 07:40:29 pm »

Oh sorry meth I completely forgot. Sure there is some neutral term in Japanese.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155075 on: January 07, 2021, 09:20:29 pm »

Oh sorry meth I completely forgot. Sure there is some neutral term in Japanese.

Eh, it's fine. I know you're not actively trying to misgender me. My sister refers to me in the third-person as he/him because a) I'm very much closeted, so it's quite dangerous to use they/them for fear of my parents finding out, and b) she's not used to the kind of rapid pronoun-switching I do on the daily. I'm not expecting people to understand my pronouns as quickly as I did. I would really like they/them to be used, of course, but I'm not gonna go out on a manhunt if you don't use them by accident.

Now, you do that intentionally, I'd be pissed.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #155076 on: January 07, 2021, 11:43:22 pm »

Japanese is an oddball of a language (from an indo-european languages standpoint, don't know any others) in that second person is generally gender-neutral (no he/she), but first person is not, the existence of a plethora of gender-specific "I"s being the most striking example[1]. You could probably go for "watashi" though, as I understand it it is more or less gender-neutral[2]. Of course, anime and manga like to spice it up, with lots of characters having "odd" speech patterns, and combining that with characters scarcely gendering each other you get lots of characters of unclear/unspecified gender, which is pretty neat.

How widespread the notion of the nonbinary is I'm less sure about. Sure, characters of unclear gender are not rare, and gender roles have been played around with in popular media at least since Osamu Tezuka's Princess Knight, but Japan is also a very conservative country. My guess is that while the notion of gender neutrality and a tradition of playing with gender roles both exist, and so does of course a domestic LGBT+ community producing media with a higher concentration of such themes, the average person is still at best uninformed and at worst highly prejudiced.

Of course, one of the wonderful points about producing/imagining your own media is that you can put anything you want in it, disregarding previous tropes and standards.

[1] "Watashi", "uchi", "atashi", "boku", "ore", and "jibun" being the most common, probably. Using your first-name as a pronoun also occurs, mostly by kids. Then there's very formal pronouns like "watakushi" and "ware" and lots of lots of pronouns you'd only hear in anime, either because they are archaic ("sessha" used by samurai) or otherwise ridiculous ("ore-sama", adding a "revering" honorific to an already boisterous pronoun. Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z, uses this sometimes).
[2] Apropos, I've gathered there's an entire genre of so called "watashi novels" written entirely in first person with the narrator/MC's name not necessarily ever being disclosed. Pretty sure that e.g. the anime Tatami Galaxy and Humanity Has Declined were both based on such novels.  Note that the formal has a male MC, the latter a female, both referred to using "watashi".

In my understanding, this is pretty accurate. Watashi, I learned was gender-neutral, but trended on feminine because women tend to use more "polite" language, or at least less casual language. My experience roughly reflects that. I did see some trans activism while I lived in Japan - both in Osaka and the smaller city I lived in. That should suggest the topic has at least been tackled by activists in Japan.

If people are really very interested, I could ask around and see if anyone I know has more information, but I doubt anyone I know is an expert.

EDIT: Also looking forward to more methmanga.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 11:45:02 pm by delphonso »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155077 on: January 07, 2021, 11:50:38 pm »

"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155078 on: January 07, 2021, 11:50:56 pm »

Also looking forward to more methmanga.

I hope bike-senpai notices me today.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155080 on: January 08, 2021, 12:32:31 am »

I still don't think it's right as just because a nasty person made the emote doesn't mean the emote itself is somehow evil.

I mean the emote is literally his face but alright.
Yes and? It's not related to him saying those things.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:34:02 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #155081 on: January 08, 2021, 12:37:27 am »

pog

Yeah KT I agree with you. I hate fascists. But censoring random things they made is useless.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155082 on: January 08, 2021, 12:40:13 am »

They probably do have some kind of legal agreement to use his likeness, I'd imagine.

I'd be nixing that and most other connections with someone supporting a coup attempt and encouraging deadly violence if I were a company, too, tbh.

Also if not a company in most cases, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155083 on: January 08, 2021, 12:42:17 am »

They probably do have some kind of legal agreement to use his likeness, I'd imagine.

I'd be nixing that and most other connections with someone supporting a coup attempt and encouraging deadly violence if I were a company, too, tbh.

Also if not a company in most cases, really.
If there was a contract, fair enough.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #155084 on: January 08, 2021, 05:09:21 am »

Beyond the Binary: A Queer Take on Gendered Japanese

Intended for a general audience.

I wouldn’t say it’s for a general audience, considering it contains both untranscibed hiragana/katakana and some (pretty basic I’m sure) kanji. You need to have studied/study japanese to read that article. :/

Regarding the PogChamp thing, Pepe the Frog was claimed by the alt-right some years ago but nowadays he’s really common again (outside the alt-right), in the form of Twitch emotes like POGGERS and monkaS. Memes can be reclaimed (or at least not lost further) if they’re just used enough by people who are not alt-right. I guess it being his face complicates it further though.
Pages: 1 ... 10337 10338 [10339] 10340 10341 ... 10983