Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10340 10341 [10342] 10343 10344 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196536 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155115 on: January 11, 2021, 03:01:40 pm »

One night stand: No.
Sexship: Yes.
Intimateship: Would depend on the other person.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155116 on: January 11, 2021, 04:06:15 pm »

I've never been into a one night stand.

I've never been into a consensual sexual relationship simply for the sake of sex or physicality.

I am married, and yes, we do have sex, but last night we had the kid in bed early, lots of time to ourselves, and it consisted of wine, hickory farms snacks, and watching Deep Space Nine. The fact that we prefer to just cuddle up and be relaxed with each other makes our relationship 110% more meaningful to me. Pop and internet culture make it seem like you have to have some stupid whirlwind montage of sex and parties or there's something wrong with you as a person. It's bullshit.

It's ok to not chase after sex. It's ok to want what amounts to a close physical friendship. I have never stopped even once to consider what gender or sex label I am. I am simply me, and I am in a permanent relationship with her.

My advice to anyone is to disassociate yourself from any of that noise.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155117 on: January 11, 2021, 05:08:00 pm »

I don't think it really matters what I want from a relationship.  It's like asking what color of bigfoot I prefer, its not like I'm going to run into bigfoot either way.

My job has assigned me a new task while the museum is closed, to make closed captions for their big collection of youtube videos.  Its an interesting diversion but I keep running into the same issue, people speak to damn fast.  Essentially, captions are limited by characters, lines, and time.  You can only have two lines of up to 42 characters, and the caption must be on screen enough as such that it's under 21 characters per second.

Eventually my captions become "too slow" as the speaker overtakes me, and by the time I catch up the other person's speaking.  It doesn't help I need to stuff "aeronautical engineering systems" somewhere in those 42 character lines.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155118 on: January 11, 2021, 05:47:41 pm »

I've never been into a consensual sexual relationship simply for the sake of sex or physicality.

I am married, and yes, we do have sex, but last night we had the kid in bed early, lots of time to ourselves, and it consisted of wine, hickory farms snacks, and watching Deep Space Nine. The fact that we prefer to just cuddle up and be relaxed with each other makes our relationship 110% more meaningful to me. Pop and internet culture make it seem like you have to have some stupid whirlwind montage of sex and parties or there's something wrong with you as a person. It's bullshit.

It's ok to not chase after sex. It's ok to want what amounts to a close physical friendship. I have never stopped even once to consider what gender or sex label I am. I am simply me, and I am in a permanent relationship with her.

This

I don't think it really matters what I want from a relationship.  It's like asking what color of bigfoot I prefer, its not like I'm going to run into bigfoot either way.
My job has assigned me a new task while the museum is closed.
Oh, the opportunity to strike our master robbery is at hand!

to make closed captions for their big collection of youtube videos.  Its an interesting diversion but I keep running into the same issue, people speak to damn fast.  Essentially, captions are limited by characters, lines, and time.  You can only have two lines of up to 42 characters, and the caption must be on screen enough as such that it's under 21 characters per second.

Eventually my captions become "too slow" as the speaker overtakes me, and by the time I catch up the other person's speaking.  It doesn't help I need to stuff "aeronautical engineering systems" somewhere in those 42 character lines.

You know, there are complete online communities devoted to making subtitles, I bet you can get help/guidance on one of those. Obviously most of the are for ripped movies and tv shows.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 05:50:46 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #155119 on: January 11, 2021, 06:28:51 pm »

How come the low character /second limit? Wouldn’t you expect the average deaf/hearing impaired person to be a faster-than-average reader, due to being forced to use subtitles all the time?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155120 on: January 11, 2021, 06:35:16 pm »

That sums up what I'd like. Glad you have it!

I assumed Rose's intimateship was utterly Platonic.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155121 on: January 11, 2021, 06:56:57 pm »

How come the low character /second limit? Wouldn’t you expect the average deaf/hearing impaired person to be a faster-than-average reader, due to being forced to use subtitles all the time?

Hell if I know, but the software/website we are using (Amara?) raises a stink if you color outside the lines so to speak.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155122 on: January 11, 2021, 06:58:28 pm »

You can be both dyslexic and deaf, or not a native speaker and deaf, etc. You can be recently hard of hearing.

But also, there's just a matter of screen space. You're given a certain amount of territory as a subtitler and that's it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155123 on: January 11, 2021, 07:26:55 pm »

I assumed Rose's intimateship was utterly Platonic.

Nah, I meant it to definitely be romantic, just without sex really being a part of it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155124 on: January 11, 2021, 07:49:14 pm »

What color of Bigfoot do you prefer, actually sounds like an interesting question.

Green?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155125 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:44 pm »

I may as well contribute my own take on the third question.

Intimate relationship, sex not usually involved: That would be nice, but with the caveat that there are usually better things in life than just that. I need to be happy with myself first. Definitely not my main goal in life, but it's a higher priority than sex is. Not bothering with it seems viable for now; cats appear to fulfil that need decently well, and there's far less commitment compared to humans.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155126 on: January 11, 2021, 08:23:23 pm »

Romantic relationships for me are uncommon and long-lasting.  They're very important to me.  It's nice to share such an emotional closeness, for such time as it lasts.

Carnality is a whole different thing.  Even remote carnality (ugh, current and previous year).  I don't feel comfortable sticking with one partner for too long if I'm not in love with them, and I haven't loved anyone like that for a while now.

Both are good, but are very different things.  Hence why aromantic and asexual are things people can be.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155127 on: January 11, 2021, 08:28:24 pm »

My opinion is that if sex becomes the focus of a relationship, you're doing it wrong. It's the natural result of a healthy and comfortable relationship, not the catalyst thereof.

Frankly it sounds like you're pursuing a very healthy viewpoint, MS. Relationships ought to be about equal partners, and you can't gauge that without being comfortable with yourself first. Don't focus on being happy, focus on being familiar. Get to know who you are, and then find someone else with whom can explore life and each other.

Also, the way you wrote that sounds like you're banging some cats on the side, and I highly recommend doing literally anything else with your time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155128 on: January 11, 2021, 08:34:29 pm »

Exactly.

Go to Wales. They have an.... arrangement... with the sheep.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155129 on: January 11, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »

Also, the way you wrote that sounds like you're banging some cats on the side, and I highly recommend doing literally anything else with your time.
This is what I get for plugging in my raw brain output straight into the language output without the standard postprocessing filters. It creates some dubious-ass phrasing sometimes. You know what, I'm not gonna change that. I've laid my bed, and I must now lie in it. I swear I'm not banging cats, but with that phrasing, yeah, I'm sure you're doubting it.
Pages: 1 ... 10340 10341 [10342] 10343 10344 ... 10984