Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10378 10379 [10380] 10381 10382 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13163277 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155685 on: February 10, 2021, 04:44:10 am »

I mean you have a yard, several ducks, and an alcohol problem, and that's more than some people
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155686 on: February 10, 2021, 05:01:08 am »

I mean you have a yard, several ducks, and an alcohol problem, and that's more than some people

aww, you remembered :D I feel validated

actually I've not drank in 3 months since I got some blood tests to find the root of the 'slowly dying' feeling. My kidneys are trash and not removing stuff so well, apparently blood that is acid isn't good for you?? And vodka isn't a health supplement?? I learned many new things.

(but yeah, basically "ok stop now or horrible death time", so... now I get to deal with reality instead. I don't like it.)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155687 on: February 10, 2021, 05:28:06 am »

Hehe, my condolences, but on the other hand, I am also happy that you're threw months sober. That's a good job! Congratulations!

Consider suing the vodka companies for false advertising. The "water of life" isn't healthy? What kind of fraud is that!
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155688 on: February 10, 2021, 05:58:58 am »

Blood ph is supposed to be around 7.35-7.4, which is slightly basic, not acidic. A quick lookup suggests that low blood ph causes the brain cells to have a harder time processing glucose, which would explain the "slowly dying" feeling.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155689 on: February 10, 2021, 07:58:49 am »

I know that, but you are 14 and it is my job as a responsible adult to nag you to take care of your future and not worry about what other people are doing :I I know you work hard but if I just said "have fun" I wouldn't be doing my job!!!

re the other thing, I think that is the guy's last name. Darn mathematicians.

your fine also thanks
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155690 on: February 10, 2021, 11:09:33 am »

pfft, don't bother with studying, i barely went to school and turned out fine!

/rolls around the floor eating garbage

I think you're great LOL. Honestly, you and your animals remind me of Home. Though to be fair like 4 of my cousins didn't finish high school LOL. I'm a massive outlier.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155691 on: February 10, 2021, 11:59:06 am »

Hehe, my condolences, but on the other hand, I am also happy that you're threw months sober. That's a good job! Congratulations!

Consider suing the vodka companies for false advertising. The "water of life" isn't healthy? What kind of fraud is that!

I know, right? -.- Thanks though. /graceful bow

Blood ph is supposed to be around 7.35-7.4, which is slightly basic, not acidic. A quick lookup suggests that low blood ph causes the brain cells to have a harder time processing glucose, which would explain the "slowly dying" feeling.

I'm sure if it was actually an acid (< 7) you would be very obviously dead :D but yeah, it's basically a failure to regulate the pH of the blood, 'metabolic acidosis' or w/e. And I'm not supposed to eat potatoes bc of the hyperkalemia? But who can live potatoless life for this long? ;_; Life is cruel

I dunno if it's been excarbated by lockdown but this place is rapidly turning into a farm <_< idk, it gives me something to do while allowing me to avoid people :L win/win. I'm actually doing a degree (part-time) for the last several yrs to stop my brain rotting. So I am getting some learneding.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155692 on: February 11, 2021, 02:07:37 pm »

Today I learned the (accurate) fact that, apparently, yawning is so contagious just reading about it can induce yawns in people susceptible to infectious yawning.

Also they've pretty conclusively nailed down why we do it! Last I looked into we still weren't really sure, but while some the mechanisms involved are still questionable the function doesn't seem to be, anymore. S'for thermoregulation of the brain, it turns out. Good to know for sure, I guess...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155693 on: February 11, 2021, 03:09:05 pm »

I yawned when I read your post
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155694 on: February 11, 2021, 04:12:46 pm »

+1
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155695 on: February 11, 2021, 07:12:24 pm »

Infectious yawning shows you're not a sociopath, I heard.

S'for thermoregulation of the brain, it turns out. Good to know for sure, I guess...

I always heard it happened when your bood was getting too low on oxygen. Or high in carbonic acid. Or... something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155696 on: February 11, 2021, 07:13:09 pm »

*puts a pip on my "not actually a sociopath" bingo card*

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155697 on: February 11, 2021, 07:14:51 pm »

Unless you just said that to make us think you weren't a sociopath...

/mafia mode

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155698 on: February 11, 2021, 07:27:26 pm »

Eh, they're not 100% on that part, I think? Something like 30-40% of the human population doesn't yawn when they see yawning, if I'm remembering the article correctly. It's posited to be an empathy thing, but unlike the cool down it's not as sure of a thing.

And yeah, low oxygen was the explanation I was most familiar with, iirc. Turns out that's just flat wrong, heh, with yawning just not having much effect on oxygen levels. The effect on brain cooling is pretty clear, tho', and currently observed in basically every species that yawns.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155699 on: February 11, 2021, 07:32:06 pm »

Human version of increasing your fan speed.
Pages: 1 ... 10378 10379 [10380] 10381 10382 ... 10983