Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10379 10380 [10381] 10382 10383 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13149899 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155700 on: February 11, 2021, 07:36:44 pm »

Not just human, and more like popping open the case or somethin', but yeah, more or less.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #155701 on: February 11, 2021, 07:38:23 pm »

Thermoregulation would make sense to me. I certainly yawn more when I'm overly warm.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155702 on: February 11, 2021, 08:01:57 pm »

I haven't read any such studies, but that doesn't seem like it matches with observation.  Why would yawning also seem to be associated with waking and sleeping?  I can definitely see temperature drop being a result of a yawn, especially given the exposure of those blood vessels in the roof of the mouth (brain freeze!).  But I am skeptical that temperature is a causal factor.

It also doesn't explain anything about why yawning would be contagious; thermoregulation does not seem like something you would need to do based on cues from other nearby members of your tribe.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155703 on: February 11, 2021, 08:53:31 pm »

Darn you made me yawn again!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155704 on: February 11, 2021, 09:18:49 pm »

Why would yawning also seem to be associated with waking and sleeping?

hopefully warm when sleep?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155705 on: February 11, 2021, 09:50:23 pm »

Paraphrasing the article I read: You cool off when you sleep and sleep better when you're cool; yawning is more prepping you to fall asleep than keeping you awake, then. When you're waking up, your brain is going from a cooler to warmer state quite rapidly, triggering a regulatory mechanism.

You also think better when your brain is cooler, so it's working to make your brain function better when you're trying to stay awake or think better.

It's particularly associated with waking and sleeping 'cause that's two times during your day where brain is consistently very likely to be temperature shifting in a fairly constrained period, triggering your thermoregulatory shtick.

e: Though the speculation for the contagious aspect being beneficial is the possibility of it helping make folks in a group more alert/think better; more than that, people near each other are probably dealing with similar environmental concerns, so taking cues from the folks around you you need to cool it can up survivability a bit.

That said, they're much less sure about exactly what's going on with the infection part. They've just very much identified the primary function involved.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:57:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155706 on: February 11, 2021, 10:19:10 pm »

You sleep better when you're cool

This is why I wear sunglasses to bed  8)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155707 on: February 11, 2021, 10:44:56 pm »

I didn't even know that the brain is cooled by yawning, or that it would serve some kind of purpose there. You'd think with a 25W component, the fact that it's immersed in fluid and basically watercooled by blood would be enough to cool it. Huh.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155708 on: February 11, 2021, 11:36:31 pm »

I didn't even know that the brain is cooled by yawning, or that it would serve some kind of purpose there. You'd think with a 25W component, the fact that it's immersed in fluid and basically watercooled by blood would be enough to cool it. Huh.

bring us catto photto
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155709 on: February 12, 2021, 01:10:25 am »

Well, the blood itself is body-temperature, so it doesn't seem that odd that running cool air under the roof of your mouth would provide some marginal benefit. I feel like the brain itself probably likes to sit at a lower temp than your guts and stuff.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155710 on: February 12, 2021, 01:44:04 am »

You also think better when your brain is cooler, so it's working to make your brain function better when you're trying to stay awake or think better.

I wonder if that means if students tend to do better when learning and taking tests in air-conditioned rooms than fan-cooled rooms, just by virtue of lower temperatures. Now, how'd one test that hypothesis, I don't know.

Here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think it was exactly advisable to just move one of the kittens out of the box while Catto's nursing, but she seemed perfectly fine with it.

Also, on a note that may sadden some of you: no, I can't bring Catto back home. My sister's not willing, and sure as hell my parents won't be. They say it's normal for students to leave their pets from their campus for semester break, then come back the next semester like nothing's happened. I don't have access to any shops that would sell pet carriers (thanks, reinstated lockdown), so I'm basically boned.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:40:30 am by methylatedspirit »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155711 on: February 12, 2021, 02:26:11 am »

I am having problems describing the sensation of having yawned 40 times in a short period of time. I sort of feel poisoned and headachey in some minor-bad way.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155712 on: February 12, 2021, 02:58:16 am »

oooh, yes, they are cute!!!

I watched a youtube video on kitten development around when this started and they said you can handle them safely :) Also at 4 weeks they will have teeth and can start eating meat, and will be able to retract their claws, so more likely than not I think they will be ok even if you aren't around. Mom can probably help them get food!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155713 on: February 12, 2021, 04:49:17 am »

I don't have access to any shops that would sell pet carriers
A cardboard box can act as one for a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155714 on: February 12, 2021, 05:03:52 am »

Also, on a note that may sadden some of you: no, I can't bring Catto back home. My sister's not willing, and sure as hell my parents won't be. They say it's normal for students to leave their pets from their campus for semester break, then come back the next semester like nothing's happened. I don't have access to any shops that would sell pet carriers (thanks, reinstated lockdown), so I'm basically boned.

That's sad.  It is not normal to leave your pets over semester break. At least not without getting someone to give them food twice a day while you're away.
If you'd do that over here in the Netherlands, people would call the police. Animal neglect is a criminal offense over here.
Since about 8 years, the law has even been changed for that. It used to be misdemeanor (you'd get fined, but no criminal record), now it's criminal offense punishable with up to a maximum of 2 years in prison for excessively terrible neglect.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:05:43 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10379 10380 [10381] 10382 10383 ... 10980