Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10383 10384 [10385] 10386 10387 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13176423 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155760 on: February 13, 2021, 01:41:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:39:00 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155761 on: February 13, 2021, 02:15:29 pm »

Most likely posing
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155762 on: February 13, 2021, 02:26:05 pm »

I almost feel like part of the curse of intelligence is being on the spectrum...
This is widely believed, but the evidence isn't there: there are many low-IQ people "on the spectrum" (in fact, probably a preponderance, since low IQ is almost certain in autism per se, the low-functioning kind) and many high-IQ people without it. If anything, there's some evidence that schizophrenics / people on the "schizoid spectrum" have a higher mean IQ than autists / aspergers.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155763 on: February 13, 2021, 02:45:54 pm »

Aspergers share the bell curve of IQ with the normal population. If you take into account that a lot of aspergers on the high IQ side will never be diagnosed in the first place it could even be they have a higher average IQ.

Schizophrenic =/= schizoid

schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder.
a schizoid personality is a personality that is not bothered by prolonged solitude (which I guess in these times of lockdown is a beneficial trait)

Two completely different things.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 02:48:05 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155764 on: February 13, 2021, 02:55:47 pm »

Most likely posing
Something that is explicitly free for commercial use?

I'd say it's for school or posing.

They say it’s for an indie game, and they just don’t want the credits to be too long, so they’re probably making similar offers to other artists.

Though I don’t even have a PayPal or anything, so I can’t sell my models anyways. Not that the one they want is complicated enough to be worth selling anyways.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155765 on: February 13, 2021, 02:58:59 pm »

a schizoid personality is a personality that is not bothered by prolonged solitude (which I guess in these times of lockdown is a beneficial trait)

That's basically "the old model" right now. The new model, which is more or less "the DSM-V model", is that pretty much every schizo-* thing is part of a "schizoid spectrum" similar to - in fact, some people, including me, think the opposite end of - the autism spectrum. It's certainly the case that they correlate heavily.

So, essentially, this is like saying "autism =/= asperger's; autism is a serious mental disorder, asperger's is a condition of being kind of weird and often liking numbers and trains". True, but missing the essential connection.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155766 on: February 13, 2021, 03:21:24 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:38:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155767 on: February 13, 2021, 03:23:53 pm »

That's basically "the old model" right now. The new model, which is more or less "the DSM-V model", is that pretty much every schizo-* thing is part of a "schizoid spectrum" similar to - in fact, some people, including me, think the opposite end of - the autism spectrum. It's certainly the case that they correlate heavily.

So, essentially, this is like saying "autism =/= asperger's; autism is a serious mental disorder, asperger's is a condition of being kind of weird and often liking numbers and trains". True, but missing the essential connection.

That's just bullocks. But well, A lot of DSM is bullocks. It's a severely restrictive tool meant to please healthcare insurances and health budget policy makers, but adds nothing of value to the psychologist's and psychiatrist's professional capacity. In fact it often inhibits proper treatment because people who fall in more than one DSM classification don't get the right help because the system cannot cope with that.

Basically the only thing schizophrenia and schizoid have in common is their common linguistic root, from old Greek.
schizophrenics have a split mind, schizoids are split away from social life. Ofcourse there is an overlap. But that doesn't mean there's a direct correlation.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155768 on: February 13, 2021, 03:28:05 pm »

schizophrenics have a split mind, schizoids are split away from social life. Ofcourse there is an overlap. But that doesn't mean there's a direct correlation.
Well, no, the word "schizoid" was explicitly formed to mean "resembling schizophrenia" on the basis of the normal use of the -oid suffix. That's documented. I mean, we have the writing from the time the word was coined, saying that's what it means.

ETA: Let me expand some more. As I understand it, before schizoid personality disorder as such was defined, "schizoid" appears to have been used basically as a synonym for "psychotic" - that is, any disorder having schizophrenia-like features regardless of whether it actually follows the traditional progression of schizophrenia per se. Then, "schizoid personality disorder" becomes the term for a disorder where the schizophrenia-resembling features are understood as part of the personality, that is, when the patient's personality resembles that of a (rather progressed) schizophrenic, in the same way that "paranoid personality disorder" literally means "your personality is essentially paranoiac even though you don't believe the government is radioing your teeth".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:52:19 pm by Maximum Spin »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155769 on: February 13, 2021, 03:30:14 pm »

do asteroids resemble asters?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155770 on: February 13, 2021, 03:37:58 pm »

do asteroids resemble asters?
Yes. Aster means "star".

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155771 on: February 13, 2021, 03:42:17 pm »

Something that is explicitly free for commercial use?

I'd say it's for school or posing.
They say it’s for an indie game, and they just don’t want the credits to be too long, so they’re probably making similar offers to other artists.
That still seems kinda sus, but they're probably just being unprofessional. Congrats on making something of value  :)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #155772 on: February 13, 2021, 03:52:25 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155773 on: February 13, 2021, 03:53:59 pm »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155774 on: February 13, 2021, 04:35:20 pm »

asteroids resemble stars (as seen from earth, without a telescope)
Asters resemble stars.

Thus, asteroids resemble asters.

;)
Pages: 1 ... 10383 10384 [10385] 10386 10387 ... 10983