Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10384 10385 [10386] 10387 10388 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164290 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155775 on: February 13, 2021, 04:38:37 pm »

asteroids resemble stars (as seen from earth, without a telescope)
Asters resemble stars.

Thus, asteroids resemble asters.

;)
You know, I do feel like this is an interesting exercise regarding the intransitivity of resemblance, though. Someone with only a dictionary definition of resemblance might think that two things which resemble the same thing should resemble each other, but there are actually many mutually inconsistent ways of resembling. I think that's interesting.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155776 on: February 15, 2021, 01:12:52 am »

I'm installing TeX, and... it's installing a total of 4125 packages. I went for the full install, because fuck it, I've got 300 gigs free, I can waste 7 of those. I'm fairly certain that a complete install of some distros of Linux have fewer packages than this. I dunno what the hell's going on with those 4000 packages, but considering the installer's insisting on downloading each package one at a time, it's gonna take a while.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155777 on: February 15, 2021, 02:15:24 am »

Don't recommend, I use Miktex and install packages on the fly. It's godawful the first few times you run it and then eventually it figures out what packages you actually use.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155778 on: February 15, 2021, 05:07:44 am »

I would, but I'm literally just starting to understand how to use LaTeX (mostly on a whim, but I'd figured that I should at least try screwing around with it if any future courses needs me to use it), and the first editor I found that's good for beginners is LyX. It's supposed to work with MiKTeX, but it's not recommended anymore. They say there's a bug that broke compatibility. The other one is TeX Live, which needs to install all those packages with a full install. Eh, it's not my bandwidth I'm wasting; I'm using the uni's WiFi. I don't really care myself. I have a secondary SSD for large programs like this.

So first thing I do is to write dumb stuff with it. Of course, Bay12 does not support LaTeX, so here's this expression as an image:

Have fun trying to solve whatever the hell I just made up.

Spoiler: LaTeX file (click to show/hide)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155779 on: February 15, 2021, 01:08:55 pm »

Just use overleaf.com lol. It has most packages you'd like and automatic cloud storage. It's free.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #155780 on: February 15, 2021, 01:20:56 pm »

Yeah I used overleaf for a few years, when it was still ShareLaTeX. Switched to TeXStudio eventually I think when I was writing my thesis with a million images and I couldn't compile it on their server.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155781 on: February 15, 2021, 05:13:23 pm »

Just use overleaf.com lol. It has most packages you'd like and automatic cloud storage. It's free.

^ yeah, this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155782 on: February 15, 2021, 06:04:07 pm »

Big (for us, anyway) paperback order starting to get processed today. Between romantic suspense and paranormal romance eating into the mystery and sci-fi/fantasy stuff, it's been like 50% romance novels by quantity so far (theoretically, it was supposed to be closer to 1/3rd).

So much smut. So much. Smut for literal days. Literally wall to wall bodice rippers (if we used the smaller wall, anyway).

Like, I knew it (popular romance fiction) was like this, but occasionally it really impacts, y'know? You encounter something that really emphasizes, yes, romance fiction really is just nigh unrelenting smut. This being one of the best selling genres really hammers it in that fanfiction isn't actually out of line with popular tastes when it comes to thirstiness.

... in other wtfry, what exactly is it with dukes and regency fiction/smut? Because they seem to be without any doubt the most prolific title dropped nobility for historical romance, seemingly by like a long shot, and I'm just wondering. Why? Is it just because its similarity with a different four letter D word or is there something else going on there?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #155783 on: February 15, 2021, 06:28:15 pm »

Duke/duchess is the fanciest title there is other than the royal ones. Oh and archduke/-duchess I suppose, but that’s really just a variant. Power’s sexxy, I suppose?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155784 on: February 15, 2021, 06:51:01 pm »

They want to have a literal prince charming, but they know that's too blatantly unrealistic so they settle for a lesser noble title instead. There are a lot more dukes than there are princes after all.

And do you really want to marry a prince and be forced with the burden of one day becoming a queen? That's a lot of responsibility. Better to marry into a family that is still fabulously wealthy, but doesn't have as much work to do.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155785 on: February 15, 2021, 07:01:52 pm »

I think there's probably more going on with regard to narrative traditions here. For example, counts are basically always evil, so you can't write a romance novel about a count, as everyone would be waiting for the part where he turns out to be a lecher and the heroine runs away and/or gets tied to train tracks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155786 on: February 15, 2021, 07:22:49 pm »

A Duke would be the next best thing, cause then you'd get to be a Duchess, and who doesn't want to be a Duchess?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155787 on: February 15, 2021, 07:50:02 pm »

A girl said she used to have a crush on me. When I told her I had a crush on her since I knew her basically. But she doesn't now. Why?

(rhetorical question)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155788 on: February 15, 2021, 07:51:10 pm »

A girl said she used to have a crush on me. When I told her I had a crush on her since I knew her basically. But she doesn't now. Why?

(rhetorical question)

She found out you're not a duke.  Go get landed or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #155789 on: February 15, 2021, 07:56:18 pm »

I think he'd rather get laid.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10384 10385 [10386] 10387 10388 ... 10983