Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10387 10388 [10389] 10390 10391 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173105 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155820 on: February 18, 2021, 12:44:39 pm »

There was some processor where my dad used a soldering iron to "unlock its higher clockspeed".  He was really proud of that project, and it didn't crash all that much more often than his other windows 95 machine!  Particularly considering his idea of a cooling system was to leave all the components out on a table instead of in a case.  And air-condition the room, to be fair.  That was the only room with AC growing up.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155821 on: February 18, 2021, 01:18:56 pm »

There was some processor where my dad used a soldering iron to "unlock its higher clockspeed".  He was really proud of that project, and it didn't crash all that much more often than his other windows 95 machine!  Particularly considering his idea of a cooling system was to leave all the components out on a table instead of in a case.  And air-condition the room, to be fair.  That was the only room with AC growing up.

Okay, so my brain's going into forensics mode, trying to figure out what CPU it was:
Windows 95... likely pre-2000s, 2002 at most
(Note: stuff way before my time. I only know this stuff because of Wikipedia and old forum posts discussing this stuff)
Using soldering irons... no exact match, but AMD Duron "pencil overclocking" found
Relevant CPU revisions circa 2003... unlikely-to-impossible within known time constraint
Pass tentative halt.
Recheck...
Pencil trick was known as far back as Athlon Thunderbird (2000), and performed exactly the same.
Bounds moved to 2000.
Success: possible candidate found, but enable dubious flag

Was it an AMD Athlon Thunderbird, then? You don't actually need a pencil, per se, to actually do the trick. You just need some conductive material to bridge these tiny electrical pads on the CPU itself to do all sorts of wacky things with the processor. It's plausible, at least. Not sure if Windows 95 would still support the drivers you'd need to be able to run a Thunderbird system well, though. This is really way before my time; I'm working off Wikipedia and Google searches.

Now, why he'd do it with a soldering iron, which could burn something important and kill the CPU, I don't know.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #155822 on: February 18, 2021, 01:47:15 pm »

Generally speaking, a processor is capable of working much faster than the rated speed. The problem is that the rated speed is what they can do reliably on every unit. It used to be common for chips that failed the quality  control to be locked to a slower clockspeed and sold as a budget model.

The chip in Rolan's example could be a 486sx. This was a standard 486 with the Floating Point Unit disabled by grounding that part out, and it was possible to renable it (turning the chip into the more expensive DX) with some careful modding. Most SX chips were DX chips that failed QC in the FPU (considered a luxury at the time), so this was unrelaible.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155823 on: February 18, 2021, 01:50:30 pm »

Ooh I think I misrembered because he definitely mentioned the pencil thing! I got confused because he was also a hobbyist solderer. I'll be sure to ask him soon about the specific chip! The 95 was meant as a clue hehe, but I'm not positive it's accurate. I'll check though!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155824 on: February 18, 2021, 02:28:21 pm »

Generally speaking, a processor is capable of working much faster than the rated speed. The problem is that the rated speed is what they can do reliably on every unit. It used to be common for chips that failed the quality  control to be locked to a slower clockspeed and sold as a budget model.

Yeah, and the definition of "stable" or "reliable" tends to be a bit loose when it's in the hands of an overclocker. I overclock my GTX 1650, personally (don't worry, VBIOS power limits prevent it from burning up), and my version of "stable" is Folding@home crashing at most once a week. Nvidia's is on the order of "crashes once every 5 years of continuous use at max power".

What I get out of that is a mobile 1650 that runs faster than a desktop 1650, and also has more CUDA cores than the desktop variant. It's not quite "world's fastest GTX 1650", but it's close. I get to play Control at 1080p Medium at "decent" (hovering around 50 FPS) framerates, which is an improvement from the 30 FPS I'd get at stock. Woo!

Overclocking here helps people "on the edge". I know it sounds desperate, but people do overclock GT 710s, these crappy display adapters, and the fact that it's possible to eke out just-barely-playable framerates out of hardware designed for adding multi-monitor support... I admire that. That is perseverance.

Speaking of which, NASA's livestream for the Perseverance rover's landing on Mars is currently live. I stayed up all night for this. Let's hope it all goes well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155825 on: February 18, 2021, 05:57:53 pm »

Hello, my name is

<Frumple>

and today, I

<scanned barcodes>

for

<all goddamn day>

I reached

<barcode scanning zen>

where I

<started being able to scan most of them without even looking at the goddamned scanner>

I am

<so tired>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155826 on: February 18, 2021, 06:49:47 pm »

Hello, my name is

<Joseph>

and today, I

<babysat a temp>

for

<my boss who didn't want him around anywhere else>

I reached

<my absolute highest level of irritation>

where I

<started kept road raging at the people who forget how snow works every time it falls>

I am

<consternated>
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155827 on: February 18, 2021, 07:46:30 pm »

Hello, my name is

<Veckle>

and today, I

<did math drank tea>

for

<grad school>

I reached

<a level of anxiety and exhaustion that I was not expecting to come so soon>

where I

<cried for hours and pissed off my friends by crying>

I am

<so sleepy and so vexed>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:09:58 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #155828 on: February 18, 2021, 08:46:51 pm »

Hurrah for skeleton!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155829 on: February 19, 2021, 02:54:33 am »

Let's see, I've managed to stay mostly up to 10 am, then I ended up taking a nap for 4 hours to 2 pm. Now I'm noticing that I'm way worse at handling external stimuli than usual. I heard a YT video, and the first thing I thought was "wait, is the voice clipping?", which is not even remotely true. It's louder than you'd like, brain, but that ain't clipping.

Like, I just feel more easily-overwhelmed by the outside world now. Even sitting in this room, typing this out is a strain on me; I can't even think and type at the same time anymore, and I can hear loads (perceptually; nothing's changed on a physical level) of background noise. It's absurd. I can usually handle being in parties decently-well, so me being so overloaded by just sitting in my room is beyond odd. My only wish right now is to be in a sensory deprivation chamber.

What do? Like, at this point, I think the sleep deprivation is really fucking with me, so I could just sleep. I'm getting less and less overwhelmed over time, so I could also wait.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155830 on: February 19, 2021, 03:33:18 am »

24 hours of deprivation isn't that bad.  You actually get a second wind in the late morning of the next day.  Anything more than that is not advisable, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155831 on: February 19, 2021, 04:58:24 am »

Thing I wasn't expecting at 4 am from the light classical music channel: Acappella Mozart (Alla turka from piano sonata in A, a cappella amadeus, swingle something or other). It wasn't even bad or anything, just... very not expected. Channel in question does basically no vocals from what I'd heard, until then.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155832 on: February 19, 2021, 09:44:55 am »

I learn something at school. I accidentally get to test it the next day.

Yesterday, among other things, I learned that lead does not stain steel (easily). It is thus used to rapid-cool steel wire when such deed is needed.

Today, I tried to solder a copper string to an iron wire. I was using an old solder, which stuck to the copper easily, but would not stick to the wire. I remembered what our teacher told us yesterday, realised the solder is probably mostly lead, and just put a drop around the wire, so it can't easily pop off.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155833 on: February 19, 2021, 10:18:12 pm »

I have now learned they apparently made a new post-apocalyptic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles thing. There's at least two TMNT settings with power armored ninja turtles. Possibly more. Bloody hell.

e: the cyber samurai comics were the ones I was actually remembering, so I don't forget/for the curious. Only got one of them when I was a kid, but... thing was pretty damn metal, from what I remember. Ralph had like PTSD nightmares and got melted into a skeleton turtle by acid rain in a dream, had shacked up with that one fox chick. Don was experimenting with like alternate dimensions or something, good chunk of the world had flooded or summat. Freaking toyline tie-ins, what were you doing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:51:44 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155834 on: February 19, 2021, 10:20:12 pm »

Today I learned about the word, 'snarge'.

it refers to bird remains after said bird hits an airplane, usually the jet intakes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10387 10388 [10389] 10390 10391 ... 10983