Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10393 10394 [10395] 10396 10397 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169953 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155910 on: February 24, 2021, 03:31:13 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:49:09 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155911 on: February 24, 2021, 03:41:01 am »

Since a QR code can contain an image file, and the image file can clearly be of a QR code, this is totally doable.

The real bonus would be for the image encoded, to be the same the final product QR code. That requires a special kind of collision.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155912 on: February 24, 2021, 03:50:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:48:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155913 on: February 24, 2021, 03:54:03 am »

I guess?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155914 on: February 24, 2021, 03:55:08 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:48:42 pm by dragdeler »
let

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155915 on: February 24, 2021, 05:21:46 am »

Link to an image file, or the file itself?

If the code contains an image file in itself, I doubt the resulting image can be bigger than the code itself, even if the file is compressed. And some of the data will be used on compression and encoding, so a bit smaller. That is, a 16x16 code contains 256 dots. I think an image contained within it (if black and white) would have to have fewer than 256 pixels. Much fewer, if colors are used.

So you could probably stash a QR code in a QR code, but not infinitely and not recursively.

If it was only links to files on the internet though, then of course, it can link to anything.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155916 on: February 24, 2021, 05:27:06 am »

I'm in charge of setting up my dad's work laptop, and it's a Thinkpad, with the characteristic red nub in the center, right? I used it, and I realized: it doesn't have a click feature. Isn't this thing supposed to replace a mouse/touchpad? How am I supposed to use this laptop one-handed with this like I can with either of those? All I'm left with is an awkward joystick.

Edit: The Fn button is where the Ctrl button should be. Why? I go to copy and paste (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V), and I end up pressing Fn. What is this shit?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:40:27 am by methylatedspirit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155917 on: February 24, 2021, 05:47:08 am »

I'm in charge of setting up my dad's work laptop, and it's a Thinkpad, with the characteristic red nub in the center, right? I used it, and I realized: it doesn't have a click feature. Isn't this thing supposed to replace a mouse/touchpad? How am I supposed to use this laptop one-handed with this like I can with either of those? All I'm left with is an awkward joystick.
There should be 2-3 wide buttons underneath the spacebar, for use with your thumb.

Welcome to the Clitmouse™! "Enjoy" your stay.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155918 on: February 24, 2021, 06:41:53 am »

Thinkpads are fine machines on my experience. And that clitmouse have seen virtually zero use in my case but it does have some advantages, like smooth, stable and solid movement if somewhat slow.

Fakeedit ninjaded by Kagus on the buttons over the touchpad.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #155919 on: February 24, 2021, 07:06:48 am »

Mousenubs are neat.  I got pretty good at one back in the day.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155920 on: February 24, 2021, 07:44:09 am »

I'm also backing up the files from the old work laptop, and I noticed that it's only used 60 GB out of 1 TB. How in the fuck is that even possible? My system drive uses 202 GB. Granted, 90 gigs of those are temporary files and Onedrive, but even with that in mind, it's still occupying 110 GB. Hell kind of optimization has my dad been doing? Install fuck-all programs, remove cache daily?

I'm not sure how an office machine doesn't get hopelessly bloated. I was expecting 200 GB of random crap strewn across the Downloads, Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music folders, but it's only, like, 3 GB total. Great disk space optimization, but it's kinda misplaced. He has an entire terabyte at his disposal, and he chooses to use 6% of it.

Also, if I replace the HDD in there with an SSD, I'm going to have... 8 drives total. It's really shaping up to be a personal army of drives. Should probably get one of those drive docking stations to make use of them, else they'd just be wasted potential.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #155921 on: February 24, 2021, 10:11:52 am »

Got into some casual mining recently due to a friend talking it up. Made sense, got a pretty good GPU for it, and with some fiddling with undervolting I can keep it running cool and quiet most of the time. So any time I'm not really using the PC I can leave it mining in the background. Worked good for like a week, made some 20$ in theory then something went fubar I guess and my GPU settings no longer work like they used to. No clue what changed with the whole setup but I am no longer able to run the thing at a decent 64-ish degrees and it instead rockets up to 75+ regardless of what I fiddle with in the settings.
Now, I'm not stranger to the arcane ways of shit not working as it should when it comes to electronics, but that usually happens after some change in the system fucks with something. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what the hell could've went wrong to cause this because I installed or changed literally nothing in the two days it went from being fine to being fucked.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155922 on: February 24, 2021, 10:59:24 am »

Drivers update? Some change on the season on your country or ac on the room?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155923 on: February 24, 2021, 12:20:40 pm »

Link to an image file, or the file itself?

If the code contains an image file in itself, I doubt the resulting image can be bigger than the code itself, even if the file is compressed. And some of the data will be used on compression and encoding, so a bit smaller. That is, a 16x16 code contains 256 dots. I think an image contained within it (if black and white) would have to have fewer than 256 pixels. Much fewer, if colors are used.

So you could probably stash a QR code in a QR code, but not infinitely and not recursively.

If it was only links to files on the internet though, then of course, it can link to anything.

QR can be quite huge. The largest is a 177x177 matrix, called QR version 40.  It can encode up to 1.8kb.

A well compressed PNG image, with a decent amount of redundant pattern inside, at 1bpp, could easily be encoded inside that amount, that translates to an image that can have that many pixels (thanks to the heavy compression, due to the high repetition).

Again, the magic would have to be finding a collision domain, where the encoded data, corresponds directly with the resulting QR Code, such that the image data is exactly manifest as the QR code. Such a collision is ***NOT*** guaranteed.

However, getting the QR code to contain an image of the requisite size, that is also a QR code, is doable.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155924 on: February 24, 2021, 12:41:45 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:48:32 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 10393 10394 [10395] 10396 10397 ... 10983