Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10418 10419 [10420] 10421 10422 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13163343 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156285 on: March 21, 2021, 08:02:33 am »

Read this article.

I started browsing around on that site beyond the linked article, in hopes that maybe it would include some tips for new delightfully terrible movies I could watch.

...but the site itself is horrible. I'm halfway tempted to think it's some form of meta-satire with how shockingly whiny and arbitrary some of the reviews/descriptions are (not to mention how horribly written, with bizarre typos and grammatical errors in abundance), but then some of the other points seem to be in earnest... So I'm confused.

I just wanted to browse for turkeys! I wasn't ready for a diatribe on why the presented motives of a talking polar bear were unrealistic!
Well it's a wiki, anyone can edit it. IIRC they're doing a cleanup to remove... that.

The crappygames (about, you guessed it, crappy video games) one is better, it has less of those whiny points on most pages.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156286 on: March 21, 2021, 08:12:16 am »

I started browsing around on that site beyond the linked article, in hopes that maybe it would include some tips for new delightfully terrible movies I could watch.

...but the site itself is horrible. I'm halfway tempted to think it's some form of meta-satire with how shockingly whiny and arbitrary some of the reviews/descriptions are (not to mention how horribly written, with bizarre typos and grammatical errors in abundance), but then some of the other points seem to be in earnest... So I'm confused.

I just wanted to browse for turkeys! I wasn't ready for a diatribe on why the presented motives of a talking polar bear were unrealistic!

I'm just imagining a Crappy Websites wiki as a branch of the Bad ____ wiki. If they wanted to be honest, wouldn't they have to throw one of their own under the bus by putting the Awful Movies wiki in there? If they wanted to go a bit self-deprecating, they could put themselves in the list. I heard that's pretty popular these days.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #156287 on: March 21, 2021, 09:20:33 am »

I'm just imagining a Crappy Websites wiki as a branch of the Bad ____ wiki. If they wanted to be honest, wouldn't they have to throw one of their own under the bus by putting the Awful Movies wiki in there? If they wanted to go a bit self-deprecating, they could put themselves in the list. I heard that's pretty popular these days.
There is one! I disagree with a bunch of it though.

Crappy Games is the best one of the series IMO. There's also a "Greatest X" series and it's more accurate and better-maintained.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156288 on: March 21, 2021, 10:33:22 am »

My quails escaped and everything is collapsing in life. The fuck.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156289 on: March 22, 2021, 08:09:11 am »

I managed to get FFmpeg compiled via media-autobuild_suite, (libplacebo kept failing to compile, a bit odd for a so-called placebo), producing two builds, one with march=native and the other with march=skylake under CFLAGS by just editing the batch file. It's dirty as hell to do this, but, eh, it's mine, whatever. If it breaks, it breaks.

Testing both of their speeds in H.264 encoding (libx264) against a generic version (granted, that one has fewer libraries, but I was looking to replace it because it doesn't have the codecs I want), and I think I may have been taught a sobering lesson in that compiling specifically for one CPU architecture does not necessarily make it run any faster. I specifically locked my CPU to 3.2 GHz to prevent any interference from thermal throttling. Here are the times:

Generic FFmpeg (BtbN autobuild, version 101352-g0e645b98c6-win64-gpl-vulkan): 3:30.441
Native FFmpeg: 3:31.590
Skylake FFmpeg: 3:29.445

Even without a calculator, I can tell it's well within margin of error. Less than 1% difference between Generic and Native, and Generic and Skylake. I should try this again with a generic version compiled with the same settings to make it more apples-to-apples, but I think it illustrates the point quite nicely. If even something this calculation-heavy doesn't benefit at all from march=native, then what chance does anything else have?

Shit, I didn't read it right. I actually did mtune, not march, which merely tunes the compiled binary for a certain architecture, but retaining compatibility with others.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:32:47 am by methylatedspirit »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #156290 on: March 22, 2021, 08:11:53 am »

My quails escaped and everything is collapsing in life. The fuck.
I hope your life is stabilised in time with, like all things in life and dwarf fortresses, industry and strife. Preferably in spite of the strife and not because of it, but you know how life is. Ditto for the quails but as long as one lives well all that ails may be recovered in time

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156291 on: March 22, 2021, 01:32:30 pm »

Perhaps find a type of fowl that is better at bonding and less prone to escape. A new chicken will do perhaps?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #156292 on: March 22, 2021, 05:09:02 pm »

Chickens are so destructive though. You have to fence off any gardens or lawns you don't want them to excavate in search of grubs. And fence off your property to prevent them getting into your neighbors gardens. Or just give them a large fenced in yard and never let them out.

But its true they do come back to the roost every night reliably. Bonding, occasionally. One of the hens tolerates us because the other hens pick on her. The rest won't let you touch them, and I handled and petted them plenty when they were chicks.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #156293 on: March 22, 2021, 07:10:25 pm »

Get emus and try to assign them for war training. Nothing could go wrong.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156294 on: March 22, 2021, 07:25:22 pm »

Get emus and try to assign them for war training. Nothing could go wrong.

I'll have you know emus are perfectly capable of winning wars right out of the box.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156295 on: March 22, 2021, 08:00:32 pm »

Little t-rexes and all
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #156296 on: March 22, 2021, 09:49:38 pm »

emus
war training
Something something Australia
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156297 on: March 22, 2021, 10:06:43 pm »

Sometimes I like to imagine explaining to an eagle (uplifted, I guess?) about how various nations have used their species as a war symbol.  I look at pictures of "stately" eagles and they're impressive, sure - but they're so unentangled in social affairs like states!  They're solo predators.  Which is cool and all, but such a weird thing for empires like the Romans and Third Reich (and I dunno, probably some modern example) to adopt.

But while writing that I kinda figured it out.  The eagle is watchful for the slightest movement, and might strike anywhere at any moment.  Symbolically they represent the surveillance state.  That probably had a different meaning for the Romans than for WW2 Germany or today, but the message is still clear.

What a lot of evil to associate with a rodent-hunting neodinosaur.

I also like to imagine explaining The Emu War's global meme status to emus, I imagine that to be a lot more fun.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156298 on: March 22, 2021, 10:12:02 pm »

Y'know, one thing I've noticed about eagles is they tend to look like colossal assholes. They got the facial structure of a dedicated jerkbird. You'd probably have better company from a vulture.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156299 on: March 22, 2021, 10:20:52 pm »

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 10418 10419 [10420] 10421 10422 ... 10983