Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10472 10473 [10474] 10475 10476 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13195061 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157095 on: May 14, 2021, 02:12:37 am »

The problem with social darwinism, is that it tries to use a paradigm associated with a resources and resource use domain, and apply it to an absrtact and inconsistent domain. Specifically, the only resource available in a social setting is "standing", and that is a nebulous and inconsistent thing to even define, let alone allocate.

Social darwinism would select for those best able to obtain and leverage social standing. Nothing more.  There are people who are very good at that. We call them sociopaths.

The implication supplied by claimed supporters of such a system, is that those that do not supply or sustain the sociwty are those that get culled. That is an erroneous position. Social position is not generated by the actor, it is given by other actors. That is why social darwinism does not lead to meritocracy, but instead toward despotism.

If somebody asserts faith in such a system, they are therefire one of two things:

1) decieved.

2) well informed, and sociopathic.

How to approach the situation properly depends strongly on which of those they are.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157096 on: May 14, 2021, 03:09:45 am »

Mention that God will smite them for their blasphemy, then tell them you gotta get away from them, lest you get killed in the shock wave from the lighting bolt.

...coincidentally, the fact that social darwinism exists proves one thing conclusively: Ghosts can't exist, or Darwin himself would have put an end to it years ago.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157097 on: May 14, 2021, 05:08:16 am »

In my opinion social Darwinism had too much of that stuff and too little of travelling around the world looking at birds and lizards and stuff while chatting over tea
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #157098 on: May 14, 2021, 09:42:37 am »

In my opinion social Darwinism had too much of that stuff and too little of travelling around the world looking at birds and lizards and stuff while chatting over tea

Tell it, sister.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157099 on: May 14, 2021, 10:14:15 am »

I can feel a transient, almost burning sensation from my left knee, the same one I landed on last year when I turned too hard on a bike. I think that's my cue to avoid using it as much as possible for now. Not sure if I should go to the doctor.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #157100 on: May 14, 2021, 10:47:58 am »

Depends on how much healthcare would set you back :/
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157101 on: May 14, 2021, 10:54:10 am »

Tell it, sister.

yaaasssssss
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #157102 on: May 14, 2021, 11:34:44 am »

The funny thing to me about social darwinism is that it goes exactly counter to what evolution did for humans. We're supposed to be caring and supportive of those members of the group who aren't 'optimal'. It's one of the signs of higher intelligence that we can take someone who, say, has a bad leg and still find ways for them to be productive and useful. It means that our elderly are properly taken care of and can continue to pass on their experience and knowledge long past the point where they're not out doing any of the difficult work.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157103 on: May 14, 2021, 12:41:14 pm »

That's why we invented the eldernet
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #157104 on: May 14, 2021, 12:59:07 pm »

Nah just grind people up past uh… how old am I? past 40 and feed them to everyone else.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157105 on: May 14, 2021, 03:03:12 pm »

Nah just grind people up past uh… how old am I? past 40 and feed them to everyone else.

Renew! Renew!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157106 on: May 14, 2021, 10:02:05 pm »

Honest Question

Im looking for the Dark Spire game for pc use.\\

Anyone know of something for less than 150.oousd?

because even just the ost is worth bank, i love it in a way modern osts cant touch.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157107 on: May 14, 2021, 10:38:43 pm »

Looking to troll my friends out of spite. May I have advice from the lords of shitpost?

scriver, I call upon thee!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157108 on: May 14, 2021, 10:59:38 pm »

Looking to troll my friends out of spite. May I have advice from the lords of shitpost?

Oh boy i have been waiting for this moment my entire life
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #157109 on: May 14, 2021, 11:23:08 pm »

Oh boy i have been waiting for this moment my entire life

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10472 10473 [10474] 10475 10476 ... 10984