Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10475 10476 [10477] 10478 10479 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13181690 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157140 on: May 15, 2021, 08:29:31 pm »

Mm, gives credibility to the Kinsey scale, eh?

I realise through this conversation that there's still plenty I'm not cognizant about or consider respectfully about the LGBTQ community- I'd thought briefly to make some comment about how the term 'femboy' seems to be more publicly acceptable (tasteful?) nowadays, but with a little more thought, I reckon it's perhaps just a little more publicly or acceptably fetishized, and there's nothing particularly tasteful about fetishizing people like that, or even just assuming the first statement thing since I've no experience wearing the title or know anyone that might even be in its orbit. I try to be an ally, but I'm rather more successful at being an idiot, hah. Slightly more of a blight on my soul, since I'm pretty sure I'd be okay smoochin' dudes, but I'm just not yet brave enough to go lookin'.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157141 on: May 15, 2021, 08:56:28 pm »

I call bull. People on the internet lie all the time. I don't believe he had a 100% success rate because at the end of the day, men don't have the same equipment as women. They can't do the same things as them, and not every guy is going to settle for anal.

And don't forget about the deception factor. The simple act of finding out that your partner lied to you will stop some men from sleeping with them out of principal alone. Contrary to the stereotype, some men do have standards.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157142 on: May 15, 2021, 09:04:59 pm »

Have you considered the possibility that the guy just didn't realize he was at a gay bar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157143 on: May 15, 2021, 09:07:25 pm »

... anal isn't the only thing that could be involved, for what that's worth. It's not impossible they actually did have a 100%, particularly if they were good at figuring out who'd be amenable to such, it'd just be statistically somewhat unlikely.

Unlikely isn't impossible, though.

Though yeah, trap definitely can be a slur. I haven't seen it used that way often -- the most common usage I actually see, personally, is referring to men who cross dress or otherwise look extremely feminine, but are heteronormative in most other ways, not trans or gay -- but it can be used as one. One of those "probably better to just avoid using" things, at least when talking about people. The ackbar can still be used with other stuff, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157144 on: May 15, 2021, 10:12:27 pm »

My friends I only wanted to troll not have my perspective broadened ;_;
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #157145 on: May 15, 2021, 10:15:48 pm »

B12: come for the trolling, stay for the informative derails.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157146 on: May 15, 2021, 10:26:43 pm »

Have you considered the possibility that the guy just didn't realize he was at a gay bar?
LOL

Yes seriously, what forum did you think you were on?  ;D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157147 on: May 16, 2021, 05:32:18 am »

::ackbar.gif::
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157148 on: May 16, 2021, 06:12:55 am »

I think we've talked about this before, but I don't think Bay12 has much in the way of "rails" to derail from. It's like that scene in The Polar Express where the train's drifting on ice, except there's at least 10 different possible rails to get onto, and everyone sees a different set of rails. It happens so often that it's possible that there's more ice than actual rail in some particularly-drifty discussions.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 06:16:25 am by methylatedspirit »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #157149 on: May 16, 2021, 06:47:43 am »

There are definitely rails, but maybe less so in this thread than others. ”Do not derail threads.” as it says in the Forum Guidelines.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157150 on: May 16, 2021, 06:49:18 am »

Most of the forum guidelines can be summed up thus:

-Do not force the toad to come and complain.  He believes most of the community can govern themselves.-
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157151 on: May 16, 2021, 07:22:07 am »

There are definitely rails, but maybe less so in this thread than others. ”Do not derail threads.” as it says in the Forum Guidelines.

I may as well give my own evaluation on each board's railing to clarify what I said.

General Discussion has very few rails, probably the fewest for a single board in Bay12. I've made a thread or two in GD, that shit derailed so fast (I'm not pissed about that, I think it's just funny). Rails are an illusion, for the most part. The emotion threads are especially susceptible, since they don't have an well-defined topic beyond a particular emotion. Just don't upset Toady.

Life Advice and Creative Projects are not well-known for derailing (though the Random art thread does a little bit of drifting from time to time). I don't think I've seen a single total derail in those boards yet. Minor drifts, maybe. I've certainly never seen the Generic Computer Advice Thread turn into a cooking discussion, that's for sure.

FG&RP, from what I've seen, is variable. Minimalist games, less serious games, those will derail very quickly (can they be said to have rails?), but the more serious ones generally only derail once in their entire lifetime, if that. Ones that are played by association (Corrupt a wish, Word association game, Rate ____), those have almost no rails. The rails appear and disappear at the drop of a hat.

The middle boards (Other Games, Curses)... I'm not too familiar with. Derails not particularly often, but Other Games tend to do it more often than Curses. Might just be a size thing, though.

The upper boards tend to be quite rigid as far as rails go. It's expected that you don't try derailing the thread you're on (though CG&S is less strict about this), lest you incur the wrath of The Toad. People will call you out if you try.

I think the general trend is that "serious" threads tend to derail less than "non-serious" ones. Seriousity isn't an absolute measure here; it's relative to its parent board. Ameripol derails more than Future of the Fortress, for instance, despite both being serious.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:42:19 am by methylatedspirit »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #157152 on: May 16, 2021, 07:47:18 am »

Derailing FotF causes actual trouble for things people actually care about like Toady/question collectors' time and quality of communication about the game. Derailing AmeriPol just raises peoples' blood pressuer, that's not a compelling case for not doing it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157153 on: May 16, 2021, 08:05:54 am »

Welcome to Bay12: Where these fine folks just Derailed a discussion that was a derailed discussion so they could talk about derailed discussions. Now all that needs to be done is to derail this discussion about derailed discussions, and the Cycle will be complete, the ritual undone, and the world shall scream and burn.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157154 on: May 16, 2021, 08:09:24 am »

Derailing FotF causes actual trouble for things people actually care about like Toady/question collectors' time and quality of communication about the game. Derailing AmeriPol just raises peoples' blood pressuer, that's not a compelling case for not doing it.

I suppose there's that, the idea of stakes. General Discussion has little of value to lose (apart from time, I guess) from a derail. The upper boards are stricter because they have something in mind, and they want it done in a reasonable timeframe without having someone derail the entire thing.

Jeez, I think you could dedicate a paper to the sociology of Bay12 General Discussion and other "old-timey" online communities like it. Like, we have the technology. We could just go onto Discord or IRC or something (I wouldn't, but for the sake of example), but instead we choose to stay on this forum just to talk about... stuff? Most forums are dedicated to one thing. A general community that's lasted this long on an old-style forum is kinda an anomaly, isn't it? I suppose we have DF to prop us up, so maybe it's not too anomalous.
Pages: 1 ... 10475 10476 [10477] 10478 10479 ... 10983