Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10476 10477 [10478] 10479 10480 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13180336 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157155 on: May 16, 2021, 03:46:32 pm »

AAAAAGH I've been playing a game that will go unmentioned because if I mentioned the name youse would be easily able to track down the people I'm talking about because it's an old, old game with a very small community and (Finishing this runon sentence) I joined a Discord server for multiplayer games. And of course, one of them just accused the majority of black people of deserving everything they get from the US government because they commit more crimes than white people, talking about how "white" States have less crime, and... and...

I want to play this game and play multiplayer games, and this is more or less the only option, but... I'm very close to leaving. When questioned, he said that it was a biological thing. It goes on. And on. And on. aaaaaaaaaaagh.

Edit:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:48:20 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157156 on: May 16, 2021, 05:58:59 pm »

Is it Starsiege?  :-\
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157157 on: May 16, 2021, 06:17:59 pm »

Is it Starsiege?  :-\
No, it's old but not that old.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157158 on: May 16, 2021, 06:22:38 pm »

Generally we know persuasion doesn't work, but 99.9% of the genes between people are the same; could be worth mentioning.

(The other thing we know is that generally, refusing to interact with shitty racists doesn't do anything unless they're, like, your parents or something. Probably more important and more effective to make it clear to the person that you don't agree with them and model behavior for the (also racist) (apparently) silent majority permitting this behavior to continue, than to take your toys and go home).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157159 on: May 16, 2021, 06:33:25 pm »

I've expanded on this at length before, but for strangers above a certain age (13?), assholery (of which racism is a subset) is more-or-less constant. You cannot fix assholes.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157160 on: May 16, 2021, 07:23:13 pm »

The problem is, they can’t be called out for their bull, because the server has such a strong culture of irony, hiding their very real prejudices under layer after layer after layer of irony and “It’s just a prank bro”. They’re the kind of people who are just really too far gone, the more polite, serious, and respectful you are, the more you’re laughed at. To them, it’s all a massive joke, and the punchline is everyone else. It’s sad, they play the same games over and over with the same people with the same in jokes, they don’t need to have their sense of superiority challenged because they never come up against anything that can challenge it, they exist in a happy little echo chamber where all the problems of the world are simple to solve and easy to see, and where everyone is on the same page. Constantly attacking, because they don’t know how to defend, just how to attack, because no-one can put up with them for long enough to bother trying. I think the best option is to leave them to their comfort blankets, because nothing I do can change this small part of the world.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157161 on: May 16, 2021, 07:54:49 pm »

Life Advice and Creative Projects are not well-known for derailing (though the Random art thread does a little bit of drifting from time to time). I don't think I've seen a single total derail in those boards yet. Minor drifts, maybe. I've certainly never seen the Generic Computer Advice Thread turn into a cooking discussion, that's for sure.

Challenge accepted!

The problem is, they can’t be called out for their bull, because the server has such a strong culture of irony, hiding their very real prejudices under layer after layer after layer of irony and “It’s just a prank bro”. They’re the kind of people who are just really too far gone, the more polite, serious, and respectful you are, the more you’re laughed at. To them, it’s all a massive joke, and the punchline is everyone else. It’s sad, they play the same games over and over with the same people with the same in jokes, they don’t need to have their sense of superiority challenged because they never come up against anything that can challenge it, they exist in a happy little echo chamber where all the problems of the world are simple to solve and easy to see, and where everyone is on the same page. Constantly attacking, because they don’t know how to defend, just how to attack, because no-one can put up with them for long enough to bother trying. I think the best option is to leave them to their comfort blankets, because nothing I do can change this small part of the world.

Sounds like leaving is best.  You don't go into a Neo-Nazi meeting expecting to change anything.  And if you find out that the seemingly normal group of people you've been interacting with are Neo-Nazis, you get the hell out of there.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157162 on: May 16, 2021, 08:41:31 pm »

Yeah :/ Leaving, and maybe trying to start a different Discord server for the same game with clear social norms, could be something to try ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157163 on: May 17, 2021, 01:21:50 am »

I'm printing out uninitialized memory for shits and giggles, and I realize that WSL (GCC 9.3.0) produces way more "interesting" output than Win32 (MinGW, GCC 4.9.2).

Here's a decoding to Code Page 437 (not rendering control characters) of some number of invocations under Win32:

Code: [Select]
P╕Pτ@Pτ@ΣA╤'▄J╫Aδ@╬[P└Pτ@LY&▐J╫Aδ@Z'▐J╫Aδ@

And here's one under WSL:
╚D/α▐ÿτ╞Q┴]τë@─)α▐≥Γ≈Ç╪≡Y Ç╪╢╒@¥ç⌠α╖ñ╒ 

I don't know if I'm already going insane from one day of quarantine, but am I wrong in saying that WSL is more varied in its uninitialized gibberish, despite running on the same computer? The Win32 ones have loads of 0x40 (@) and 0x50 (P) in them. At least one of them shows up on almost every invocation.

Recompiling with MinGW w/ GCC 10.2.0, I get results that are a bit more entertaining, at least visually:
á«@àz╬a·╤ßJ╫¼@(í≡╙ßJ╫¼@Çïá«@á«@ä{å▄qDzpDzpÜáh.ΓJ╫¼@CM0ΓJ╫¼@Dzp

Though a lot of variations on "a" and "@" (0x40) do show up. I'm guessing 0x40 is a special number, since that is 64 in decimal.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157164 on: May 17, 2021, 01:43:52 am »

Messages from Firefox

Talking to kids about big issues like gentrification and social activism is tough. This collection of articles, books, podcasts and more can help spark the conversation.

It's not being made any easier when they're treated like different issues, when in fact they might by synonyms in some cases.

Think about it: What is the first thing that people who are gentrifying do when they move into a community? Answer: Social activism.
Conversely: Social activism can be seen as making the neighborhood better. What happens when the neighborhood gets better? It becomes prime real estate for gentrification.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157165 on: May 17, 2021, 01:50:56 am »

Think about it: What is the first thing that people who are gentrifying do when they move into a community? Answer: Social activism.
Conversely: Social activism can be seen as making the neighborhood better. What happens when the neighborhood gets better? It becomes prime real estate for gentrification.

I don't think either of these points is founded.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157166 on: May 17, 2021, 01:58:09 am »

I don't think either of these points is founded.

Well, I think they make a lot of sense, so it's a draw:P

...but seriously, the point is that the term social activism could be applied to any attempts to change society, either for the better or for the worse.  It's subjective.

Conversely, gentrifying has bad undertones, but it's great if you own the buildings.  It sucks if you rent.

Life Advice and Creative Projects are not well-known for derailing (though the Random art thread does a little bit of drifting from time to time). I don't think I've seen a single total derail in those boards yet. Minor drifts, maybe. I've certainly never seen the Generic Computer Advice Thread turn into a cooking discussion, that's for sure.

Challenge accepted!

So I was going to try this, but it has already been done...

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157167 on: May 17, 2021, 03:36:02 am »

Challenge accepted!

So I was going to try this, but it has already been done...

Eh? I don't know if it's Great Disorder (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt), but the discussion of "piping" there is perfectly normal computing terminology, principally for Unix-likes. That's just a way of passing the output of a process directly to another one. It's not a derail, not by my definition. Not even a minor drift. Too relevant.

Link to the page that you found the derail on, if you're certain. It's about the only reliable way to link to posts on threads suffering from the 'Disorder.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157168 on: May 17, 2021, 04:02:25 am »

Reminds me of this one southbank protest by students protesting gentrification, but the students are the cause of the gentrification so it struck me funny bone

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157169 on: May 17, 2021, 10:04:01 am »

Binge watching the History Channel late at night has a certain sense of dread surrounding it
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.
Pages: 1 ... 10476 10477 [10478] 10479 10480 ... 10983