Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10477 10478 [10479] 10480 10481 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13180103 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157170 on: May 17, 2021, 10:05:18 am »

That sounds sort of like napalming Vietnam was environmental activism, by the same logic. 'Activism' typically has positive connotations, or connotations for positive change. Justifying the generalization by marginalizing those who suffer by it seems kind of icky.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but gentrification is the result of the aggregation of wealth in an area such that it further increases the social and economic inequality by pricing people out of opportunities to live and work, yes? Effectively displacing the disadvantaged and increasing that disadvantage? If you assert crime happens primarily as a consequence of unmet needs/desperation, then you haven't 'improved' the neighborhood at all- you've taken a 'not in my backyard' approach by taking their backyards.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157171 on: May 17, 2021, 10:31:53 am »

Binge watching the History Channel late at night has a certain sense of dread surrounding it

Which kind of dread? The "Oh god, this shit is just so gloomy" (though that might just be my weakness to dark stuff), or "Ah shit, what unverified/unverifiable bullshit are they gonna broadcast next?".

I mean, the History Channel is 30% Pawn Stars (and related), 50% Ancient Aliens (and etc.), and the rest is 'unsolved mystery solved at a meandering pace' (bonus points if it involves Hitler) shows, last I checked. They've mastered the art of making people feel both boredom and dread at the same time. My bullshit sensors turn off from sheer boredom. And people pay actual money on their TV subscriptions for this shit. How?!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157172 on: May 17, 2021, 11:00:30 am »

There is growing social activism over here against gentrification, both by people who have lived in gentrifying neighborhoods for generations, as well as by sociologists.
Gentrification is destroying social cohesion in cities.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157173 on: May 17, 2021, 11:24:30 am »

Binge watching the History Channel late at night has a certain sense of dread surrounding it

Which kind of dread? The "Oh god, this shit is just so gloomy" (though that might just be my weakness to dark stuff), or "Ah shit, what unverified/unverifiable bullshit are they gonna broadcast next?".

I mean, the History Channel is 30% Pawn Stars (and related), 50% Ancient Aliens (and etc.), and the rest is 'unsolved mystery solved at a meandering pace' (bonus points if it involves Hitler) shows, last I checked. They've mastered the art of making people feel both boredom and dread at the same time. My bullshit sensors turn off from sheer boredom. And people pay actual money on their TV subscriptions for this shit. How?!

Hearing "Ancient alien theorists believe that the Grear Pyramids Of Giza is an ancient starship that was used to take Adolph Hitler's secret nazi army to Jupiter where they discovered how to do the Harlem Shake" Makes me feel stupider because this show is just filling my head like a jelly donut with the most outlandishly ridiculous shit possible (which is dangerous for someone my age)

Just pretend that Ancient Aliens is a satire, then it is a lot more enjoyable
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157174 on: May 17, 2021, 02:30:19 pm »

Unleash ... the double down man!!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157175 on: May 17, 2021, 02:49:41 pm »

Unleash ... the double down man!!

Unleash... the shitposts!!

(i'm starting to think that i might never live that down)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:51:53 pm by ArchimedesWojak »
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157176 on: May 17, 2021, 05:14:07 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157177 on: May 17, 2021, 05:47:30 pm »

Ancient Aliens probably is just one massive meme. I can't tell if it's unironic, ironic, post-ironic or post-post ironic. If it is a meme, the irony meter's managed to spin so many times that the needle's basically spinning about as fast as a Beyblade.

Now that I think of it, how the hell did Beyblade, in something targeting children, manage to use "Let it Rip" as a slogan? Kids were saying it seriously. I can't keep a straight face because I'm thinking of the fart joke interpretation, though that's probably my immaturity showing.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157178 on: May 18, 2021, 02:14:33 am »

Ancient Aliens is not something I've never watched as it sounded to stupid, but I feel that it would be worth watching for a laugh.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157179 on: May 18, 2021, 06:37:22 am »

History channel had some phases

Phase 1: History channel
Phase 2: Hitler channel
Phase 3: ALIENS
Phase 4: ICE ROAD TRUCKERS WHO ALSO FISH

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157180 on: May 18, 2021, 06:47:32 am »

I'm sorry, History Channel had phases? I thought they all happened at the same time, just blending into each other.

What's next, COVID conspiracy theor-- shit, that sounds like something right up their alley. They might actually do that one if they can get away with it. I know it's illegal to spread misinformation about COVID in some parts of the world (and History Channel does broadcast outside of the US), so I think they'd probably just broadcast endless COVID documentaries, just barely toeing the line to avoid tripping the censors.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #157181 on: May 18, 2021, 09:23:34 am »

I'm sorry, History Channel had phases? I thought they all happened at the same time, just blending into each other.

What's next, COVID conspiracy theor-- shit, that sounds like something right up their alley. They might actually do that one if they can get away with it. I know it's illegal to spread misinformation about COVID in some parts of the world (and History Channel does broadcast outside of the US), so I think they'd probably just broadcast endless COVID documentaries, just barely toeing the line to avoid tripping the censors.

Just ask endless open-ended questions, so any actual (mis)information is the fault of the viewer.

Is it really a coincidence that Clown and Covid have five letters and start with C?
Do we know for sure that sharks aren't the number 1 vector?
Has it been conclusively proven that the virus isn't transmitted by 5G?
Does anyone actually know whether this was actually a conspiracy to thin out the aging population?
Immigrants?
Could it be that we've been naughty and Santa decided to go with bio-terrorism?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157182 on: May 18, 2021, 09:45:23 am »

Because Santa's first choice would have bean coalera
Love, scriver~

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157183 on: May 18, 2021, 09:46:55 am »

History Channel (or was it a different one) also has some shows where they fix old cars but there is so much shit going on that they never have time to actually finish the car in the 45 minute time limit they have for the episode

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157184 on: May 18, 2021, 10:11:00 am »

History Channel (or was it a different one) also has some shows where they fix old cars but there is so much shit going on that they never have time to actually finish the car in the 45 minute time limit they have for the episode

I think that's the one. That last bit is a hallmark of History Channel. I dunno what kinda super-ADHD they got, but goddamn do they need some Ritalin. It's just so unfocused. It's like a Shane Dawson "documentary", if you've ever been exposed to the terribleness of those. (Here's a video essay about those, for the uninitiated.) Both have so little information density. The fluffiest bread in the world is more dense than these aerogels of information.

I have memories of being in elementary school (or was it preschool?) and just being so pathologically unfocused before I got prescribed medication for it; that's what History Channel reminds me of. ADHD. Not the 'jumping between ideas fluently' kind, but the 'I can't focus on anything, not even the things I like' kind.
Pages: 1 ... 10477 10478 [10479] 10480 10481 ... 10983