Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10478 10479 [10480] 10481 10482 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179187 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157185 on: May 19, 2021, 12:59:47 am »

History channel had some phases

Phase 1: History channel
Phase 2: Hitler channel
Phase 3: ALIENS
Phase 4: ICE ROAD TRUCKERS WHO ALSO FISH
You forgot about the sharks, I think they came in between 2 and 3. I remember back when they had historical stuff on there, damn that was a long time ago.

I also remember when the Travel channel was about travel, and when the DIY channel was about making stuff rather than selling houses.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157186 on: May 19, 2021, 03:52:12 am »

Bay12 is experiencing an extremely-high influx of visitors (will attach image later). Holy shit. 3917 peak, as of this posting. Did someone big mention DF? Did DF just release on Steam?

If that's the case, we just got Slashdotted. ~20 minute downtime because of the ludicrous traffic.

Edit (5:11 pm UTC+8) : Still ongoing. Whatever the server people did to make the servers more stable (compared to what happened in 2019), they've done an amazing job.  We're still going! 4204 peak!

Edit 2 (5:37 pm UTC+8): Okay, I think the numbers are back to normal now. I've taken many screenshots documenting this odd event. I won't promise it, but I'll probably release the data of the number of active people over time for this event if I get around to doing that. For the record, the current peak (to make searching easier: Most Online, Users Online) is 4417, set on 19th of May 2021, 05:16:15 pm UTC+8.

Edit 3: So if I got my data right, there was a sudden jump in active whatevers so high that it crashed the server for ~20 minutes, then when it went back online, it showed an absolutely monumental amount of people, 3817, at first screenshot (timestamp unreliable). Then it climbed higher and higher, hitting a peak of 4417. After that, the count began a 15-minute decline back down to normal levels. This is consistent with a large influx of users. It wavered a little bit as the number fell, but I'll wait to look through the screenshots and extract data before I'll make any judgements on that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:59:12 am by methylatedspirit »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #157187 on: May 19, 2021, 06:59:21 am »

Bay12 is experiencing an extremely-high influx of visitors (will attach image later). Holy shit. 3917 peak, as of this posting. Did someone big mention DF? Did DF just release on Steam?

If that's the case, we just got Slashdotted. ~20 minute downtime because of the ludicrous traffic.

Edit (5:11 pm UTC+8) : Still ongoing. Whatever the server people did to make the servers more stable (compared to what happened in 2019), they've done an amazing job.  We're still going! 4204 peak!

Edit 2 (5:37 pm UTC+8): Okay, I think the numbers are back to normal now. I've taken many screenshots documenting this odd event. I won't promise it, but I'll probably release the data of the number of active people over time for this event if I get around to doing that. For the record, the current peak (to make searching easier: Most Online, Users Online) is 4417, set on 19th of May 2021, 05:16:15 pm UTC+8.

Edit 3: So if I got my data right, there was a sudden jump in active whatevers so high that it crashed the server for ~20 minutes, then when it went back online, it showed an absolutely monumental amount of people, 3817, at first screenshot (timestamp unreliable). Then it climbed higher and higher, hitting a peak of 4417. After that, the count began a 15-minute decline back down to normal levels. This is consistent with a large influx of users. It wavered a little bit as the number fell, but I'll wait to look through the screenshots and extract data before I'll make any judgements on that.
Whoah! That’s strange. Even more so that none of them decided to be a member.
Actually, with that in mind I wouldn’t call it strange, but alarming. Even if the influx came from a demographic not familiar with traditional forums (such as the mostly kid audience of some big minecraft streamer?), some of them should have registered. This indicates bots.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157188 on: May 19, 2021, 07:49:53 am »

That, or there's been another article about dangerous online cults and people followed the link here again.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157189 on: May 19, 2021, 08:36:46 am »

After 3 hours of carpal tunnel-inducing manual data entry, I've extracted the data I promised (is there a weaker word than "promise"?). Both of my hands hurt right now. Here:

Original data, including "Most Users Ever" count.

Merged data. Used for the chart below.

And here's a chart:

Spoiler: Very bright (click to show/hide)

If anyone wants the original screenshots for further data analysis, I can send cropped versions.

To corroborate voliol's claim, yes, zero users registered during this giant 50+ minute spike, at least for the portion I was able to capture. 56830 members at the start of my recording, 56830 members at the end. Not a single new member registered.

Only 8 posts were made during the span of this recording. Eight.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:40:50 am by methylatedspirit »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157190 on: May 19, 2021, 08:55:11 am »

grisha5
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157191 on: May 19, 2021, 09:02:35 am »

Nearly 4000 copies (baseline user count is ~500) of grisha5? Damn. I think we might need Toady to limit the rate at which new accounts can be registered, just in case they (and this time it's not singular) try spamming the registration form later.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157192 on: May 19, 2021, 09:06:02 am »

A more worrisome possibility:

A SQL injection attack was performed by a hacker, to embed a command and control payload for a botnet into an otherwise innocuous forum post or section.

Then the bots connected to get their instructions.

Toady should investigate the server activity logs to see what files, if any, were accessed the most during the peak activity period.  If it is all over the place, then it is probably actual users. If it is just one specific page thousands and thousands of times, then its suspect, and he needs to investigate.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157193 on: May 19, 2021, 09:09:35 am »

What is the best way of contacting Toady do you think? It seems like this isn't something that should wait.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #157194 on: May 19, 2021, 09:35:05 am »

While a PM might be in order, the other possibility is that the Toad is stress-testing the server prior to the steam release. Not all scenarios are apocalyptic.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157195 on: May 19, 2021, 09:44:43 am »

A more worrisome possibility:

A SQL injection attack was performed by a hacker, to embed a command and control payload for a botnet into an otherwise innocuous forum post or section.

Then the bots connected to get their instructions.

Toady should investigate the server activity logs to see what files, if any, were accessed the most during the peak activity period.  If it is all over the place, then it is probably actual users. If it is just one specific page thousands and thousands of times, then its suspect, and he needs to investigate.
I can't believe Israel attacked Bay12.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157196 on: May 19, 2021, 09:52:42 am »

the Toad is stress-testing the server prior to the steam release.

I personally believe this is the case (when is the steam release?) but the fact that Toady didn't tell us kinda makes me think otherwise
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157197 on: May 19, 2021, 09:55:21 am »

I think Toady not telling us is a pretty significant red flag.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157198 on: May 19, 2021, 10:26:56 am »

I can't believe Israel attacked Bay12.

I can't believe it's not butter.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157199 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:06 am »

Have we been compromised?!? Time to bug out, lay low, and wait until the heat dies down.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 10478 10479 [10480] 10481 10482 ... 10983