Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10480 10481 [10482] 10483 10484 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13147756 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157215 on: May 20, 2021, 11:03:57 am »

... Always with the "Girl/Boyfriend trouble" questions.

Questions I can never meaningfully answer!  BAH HUMBUG!

You DO have a sexy mister hanging around your property these days anyways. :U

Anyways, open and clear communication usually gets you direct answers, but requires a bit of steely confidence to get out. If you want to ask first girl on a date, let her know you're asking her on a date. You're not beholden to anyone at this point since you're not specifically in a relationship (unless your relationship allows that, but that's complicated), you get to decide what you're cultivating. If you do become beholden and are still communicating in any sort of romantic context with someone else, do the right thing and let the non-beheld party know, you can keep that friendship if you both understand that won't develop anywhere.

You can grow a garden anywhere, as I like to say. A season's fruits or an oak to last the decades, but you get neither if you leave the field fallow, and for anyone reading, it's okay not to like fruit or shady trees. Just, uhm, be careful with your fertilizer? I don't usually drill this far into the metaphor.

Worst case, she backs off, you stay in touch, you graduate soon, and then it's new faces and new places.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #157216 on: May 20, 2021, 11:11:07 am »

What if someone tried this to DDOS this forum? Maybe a banned guy who is salty. The reason we're not seeing spam is that it takes approval to make accounts. So most they can do is flood guests.

Now the reason they wouldn't use like, an actual DDOS tool (they're kinda illegal so, I won't name any but it's easy to find)? Maybe Bay12 has protection against traditional DDOSing like that.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157217 on: May 20, 2021, 11:24:52 am »

What if someone tried this to DDOS this forum? Maybe a banned guy who is salty. The reason we're not seeing spam is that it takes approval to make accounts. So most they can do is flood guests.

Now the reason they wouldn't use like, an actual DDOS tool (they're kinda illegal so, I won't name any but it's easy to find)? Maybe Bay12 has protection against traditional DDOSing like that.

I just love how this comes right after the relationship advice!  :P

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157218 on: May 20, 2021, 11:33:16 am »

I'm no life coach but it really doesn't sound like you owe the person you're "just talking" with anything at all. If you're still in the indistinguishable-from-friendship stage, you're unlikely to really do something wrong.

It does sound like the thing you're hoping to be told to do is go for it with the person you're more interested in, which in this case means you probably should do that. Just be prepared for disappointment and try not to feel let down if it goes nowhere. Plenty of people flirt while having no intention of going further, it's an activity in itself.

I don't know anything about your life, so take the above with a massive pinch of salt. I'd advise you not to stop talking to either of them whatever happens, though.

You know, I thought there was a big period without communication but actually it's been pretty consistent, every few days or so, though it isn't always a long conversation. She does contact me at around that frequency. Also I was thinking maybe I'd start to feel it at some point? Is that something I should explore?

It does sound like the thing you're hoping to be told to do is go for it with the person you're more interested in, which in this case means you probably should do that.

I'm not actually.  :) Actually wondering. If you missed the soap opera before, this girl who I had a crush on, turned me down previously some time ago, and told me that she used to have a crush on me,. Hence the complicated situation. And complicated emotions.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:36:29 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157219 on: May 20, 2021, 02:59:55 pm »

A group of 8 assailants from Belgium and France attacked a gold transport yesterday, when it left a gold company in Amsterdam.
They were armed with automatic weapons.
They took Gold and silver worth 50 million euros, but it didn't get them far.
After a high speed chase, they fled and torched their vehicles (a Porsche Cayenne and an Audi RS6), and tried to flee through a grassland, firing their weapons at the police which pursued en masse.
Eyewitnesses describe the scene, 'it was like a warzone in Iraq'.
One of the assailants was killed, 2 were injured, and they were all arrested.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157220 on: May 20, 2021, 03:02:17 pm »

One of the assailants was killed, 2 were injured, and they were all arrested.
I admire the Dutch police' dedication to their work, arresting even the dead guy. :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157221 on: May 20, 2021, 03:11:21 pm »

Note that police killing someone is big news over here. I think in the Netherlands, the same amount of people get killed by police in a year, that get killed by police in the US in a few hours.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #157222 on: May 20, 2021, 03:25:24 pm »

Note that police killing someone is big news over here. I think in the Netherlands, the same amount of people get killed by police in a year, that get killed by police in the US in a few hours.

This is a shameful exaggeration. It would take, on average, approximately 2 days for the US fatal police shooting rate to eclipse that of the Netherlands yearly rate. (As of 2015, which is the only year I could find Netherlands data for)

'A few hours'. Shame.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157223 on: May 20, 2021, 03:34:15 pm »

This is a shameful exaggeration. It would take, on average, approximately 2 days for the US fatal police shooting rate to eclipse that of the Netherlands yearly rate. (As of 2015, which is the only year I could find Netherlands data for)

'A few hours'. Shame.
It sounds like you forgot to adjust for population. It appears that it would take somewhat under a month (but more than half).

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157224 on: May 20, 2021, 03:35:01 pm »

Note that police killing someone is big news over here.
I think the whole 'gold heist + high speed chase + dramatic shootout' would make it big news in general
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #157225 on: May 20, 2021, 03:46:04 pm »

'A few hours'. Shame.
It sounds like you forgot to adjust for population. It appears that it would take somewhat under a month (but more than half).

No, the original statement was about fixed numbers, not per capita. If he'd asked about a relative proportion I could have been even more falsely incensed.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157226 on: May 20, 2021, 08:44:23 pm »

Pretty sure Russian police are comparable to American police in murderousness. Except ours are much more corrupt.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157227 on: May 21, 2021, 02:21:25 am »

Pretty sure Russian police are comparable to American police in murderousness. Except ours are much more corrupt.

Do Russian police flip the fuck out and murder people in cold blood for seemingly no reason at all? Or bust into the homes of innocent people and light the place up? I'm actually asking, I don't know what they do over there in Russia.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157228 on: May 21, 2021, 03:02:24 am »

Do Russian police flip the fuck out and murder people in cold blood for seemingly no reason at all? Or bust into the homes of innocent people and light the place up? I'm actually asking, I don't know what they do over there in Russia.
Yep. We are worse than you guys.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157229 on: May 21, 2021, 04:45:19 am »

Russia isn’t a great place to live, to my knowledge.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 10480 10481 [10482] 10483 10484 ... 10980