Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10501 10502 [10503] 10504 10505 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000923 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157530 on: June 14, 2021, 03:00:31 am »

If it's on a phone, blame the default font. My understanding is that Bay12 doesn't actually host the fonts it has, relying on the device itself for fonts. As such, if a phone (it's usually a phone) can't find the fonts Bay12 wants, it just defaults to the system default font. Did you change fonts?

I believe that Android changed its default font some time ago from Roboto to Product Sans, IIRC. At least, that's what Google apps/phone use now. But that's a more-rounded shape, not a more-angular one.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157531 on: June 14, 2021, 03:07:02 am »

It's not on a phone, and on second thoughts it seems to be affecting other sites too. Argh, my eyes.   
I've checked and no, I hadn't zoomed in or out accidentally. All I did was restart my computer, haha.   

Edit: okay, there is definitely something wrong here.   

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:11:16 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157532 on: June 14, 2021, 03:19:15 am »

It's a system-wide setting, then. Perhaps font antialiasing/ClearType got turned off somehow?

I'm giving Windows 10 instructions here: Font antialiasing is under System Properties > Advanced > Visual Effects >> "Smooth edges of screen fonts" (a checkbox). ClearType can be searched from the Start menu; the thing you want is "Adjust ClearType Text".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157533 on: June 14, 2021, 05:54:35 am »

oh come on. this is beyond the usual invites to go out drinking (i mute my entire phone now and miss all my important calls, double win!)

fml etc.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157534 on: June 14, 2021, 06:05:14 am »

Now, I may sound like someone who has never touched alcohol and has no intention of doing so ever, but what if you just sell off the whiskey to someone else? I'm sure someone else wants it. It would probably send a very harsh message, but it seems appropriate. Just not sure if it's a "fuck off" harsh, or a "fuck you and everything you stand for" harsh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157535 on: June 14, 2021, 06:38:40 am »

It's a system-wide setting, then. Perhaps font antialiasing/ClearType got turned off somehow?

I'm giving Windows 10 instructions here: Font antialiasing is under System Properties > Advanced > Visual Effects >> "Smooth edges of screen fonts" (a checkbox). ClearType can be searched from the Start menu; the thing you want is "Adjust ClearType Text".
Yeah, after submitting my last post I realised that it was most likely caused by me changing some advanced settings in the hope of getting my taskbar to not be showing all the damn time including in full-screen videos. Apparently changing those visual effects settings to "adjust for best performance" tends to fix that, but it seems like font smoothing went by the wayside too. I did this yesterday but only got around to restarting the computer today, hence my confusion when everything looked like ass.   
Oh well, I re-enabled smoothing, now let's restart again and see if it's fixed.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157536 on: June 14, 2021, 02:36:59 pm »

Now, I may sound like someone who has never touched alcohol and has no intention of doing so ever, but what if you just sell off the whiskey to someone else? I'm sure someone else wants it. It would probably send a very harsh message, but it seems appropriate. Just not sure if it's a "fuck off" harsh, or a "fuck you and everything you stand for" harsh.

From what I understand, that's only legal if you have a liquor license which I'm pretty sure Caz doesn't unless she was the owner of a liquor store that she never told anyone about. Still, a 5 year vintage would probably fetch a pretty good price. If Caz wants to go the illegal route, her best bet would be to solicit buyers in person.

Or just give it away for free. I'm pretty sure that's legal as long as you don't give it to teens. She definitely needs to get rid of it though.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #157537 on: June 14, 2021, 03:11:24 pm »

Still, a 5 year vintage would probably fetch a pretty good price. If Caz wants to go the illegal route, her best bet would be to solicit buyers in person.

A 5 year blended is very much a random bottle, in the 20-30 buck range. I'd definitely say barter it off to someone else for something else, regift it, or just buy some powdered metals and make pretty pretty fire.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157538 on: June 14, 2021, 03:30:16 pm »

Alternatively just use it for cooking

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157539 on: June 14, 2021, 03:38:04 pm »

Alternatively just use it for cooking

Specifically a recipe that takes a long time. Alcohol loss increases with cooking time. Thus, you'd want to go for one that takes hours on end as to end up with as little alcohol as possible in the final product. Any method that reaches 100°C is good enough, since ethanol boils off at ~70°C, IIRC.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157540 on: June 14, 2021, 03:40:08 pm »

Ya I use stuff like that for cooking all the time. Agree with meth, alcohol takes a deceptively long time to cook out of things if that's your goal. HOWEVER, it is often part of the intended flavor. If you want that, use a little bit near the end of the cook time. Wine is used this way a lot.

Don't sell it cuz illegal, trade it for something.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157541 on: June 14, 2021, 08:37:20 pm »

I got summoned for jury duty (and fortunately noticed the plain unassuming letter).  You'd think a letter that must be noticed on pain of criminal charges would be a little more attention-grabbing then all the f*cking spam.

But I did see it, and read the instructions.  I was to call a certain number the night before AFTER 5:30PM for further instructions and to see if I was still needed.  So... is it online due to covid?  No such indication, or much indication at all.  Just that I was summoned to appear at 9:30AM.  There's an "INSTRUCTIONS FOR JURORS" section but it's literally only ways to excuse oneself.

So I waited until tonight at 5:30PM and called the automated system to see whether I was still summoned at 9:30 AM tomorrow.  The summons has three helpful numbers, a Badge Number, a Juror Number, and a PIN Number.  Yes, "PIN Number".  it's such a little thing, but when they're threatening me with law-enforcement for inaction I don't feel CHARITABLE.

The system asked me for my badge number and then, for "security purposes", my PIN Number.  They're both 6 digits which made the whole thing all the more laughable.  Security is when you mail someone two numbers instead of one, right?  Jesus, I'm surprised they didn't ask me to "prove" my identity with my Social Security Number, that cognitosigil which nobody else can retain.  No, no, just the second number was enough to prove my identity.

And to confirm it slowly repeated my badge number, and then a clip of my (legal) name, fair enough I guess but - ah, I am, indeed, needed tomorrow at 8:30AM.  What a whole rigamarole for
wait
Yeah, 8:30 not 9:30.

I pressed for further "juror instructions" and got "Look presentable", and then they went into detail - No actually they just said DON'T WEAR SHORTS, and to wear layers because the room's climate will be unpredictable.

So now I have to decide.  Do I show up in my raincoat, safari-hat, and my nice long khakis with detachable leggings?
Or do I do my best impression of a white cismale going for a job interview?  Because I would love to sneak onto a jury-

No, that's wrong, I have a *right* and *responsibility* to be on a jury and be a voice for reasonable doubt.  Naturally they couldn't tell me anything at all about the case, so it could be anything, but this is an opportunity for me to do something good.  I'm sure they'll see right through me and throw me out, but I owe it to my community to try.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157542 on: June 14, 2021, 08:50:23 pm »

show up in my raincoat, safari-hat, and my nice long khakis with detachable leggings

This seems like the most relevant portion.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157543 on: June 14, 2021, 09:00:00 pm »

My clothing choices follow function rather than form.  That's my NB-privilege :P

But clothing also functionally serves to signal various things, so tomorrow bright-and-early (an hour earlier than they said!!) I'm going to be wearing my best impression of a respectable normie.

(Also THEY suggested "layers" in this marshy June heat!!)

Edit: Oh or if you aren't familiar with detachable leggings - it's pretty unusual I think, probably a hiking-culture thing.  There are these pants with zippers near the knees where it it goes from normal-looking long pants into comfy shorts.  Very handy.  You have to be careful though because the summer sunlight will bleach the upper portion and then the lower portions don't match anymore.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:04:04 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157544 on: June 14, 2021, 09:17:13 pm »

No actually, back in ye oldene daise of the late 1990's, we wore things like that to be cool, hip, and possibly also rad. We also wore pants so large we could fit our whole selves inside. We sometimes made questionable fashion choices.

They were also super handy tho, I sort of miss them.
Pages: 1 ... 10501 10502 [10503] 10504 10505 ... 10974